VOGONS

First post, by Doppler

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Does Audigy 1 have legacy support for dos shell with WDM drivers installed? I'm asking beacuse I search a sound blaster card which would play dos games midi with sf2 soundfonts loaded in the audioHQ panel.

Reply 1 of 2, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I would have expected it to have the same capabilities as the Audigy 2.
Re: No legacy SB16 mode with Audigy 2 (sb0240)?

On that note, I Googled <audigy legacy> and it turns out there is a patch you may have missed.
Re: SB16 Emulation with Audigy 2 + 4.1?

The readme says that it "sets a new routing/mixer configuration in the DSP of Audigy 2", which suggests you could try looking for an old version of kxproject that supports Win98. (I think such a thing exists.)

Reply 2 of 2, by Doppler

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Maybe I wasn't clear enough. I'll try to be more precise:

I have a Live! card which plays midi files in Windows98 utilising Live! MIDI Synthesizer and custom sf2 sounbanks. The problem is that MIDI music from DOS games ran in Win98 "command prompt" don't play the sf2 font loaded. They always play the low quality EnsoniQ ECW sounbanks. I red somewhere that installing Live! with WDM drivers gave a possibility to play dos games in command prompt with loaded sf2 banks - and it turned out well. The problem was with WDM hiccups/dropouts - generally it performed very bad. Some say that it was due to badly written WDM drivers, but I don't know details. What i know is that WDM gave such possibility - I could play DOOM in window's "command prompt" and try the game with different sf2 banks for midi.

I tried to do the same with the Audigy 2 card, but as I wrote in other topic - I failed to install WDM legacy mode for it in Windows 98. Audigy 2 generally has a very good WDM performance, there are no sound dropouts. Everything works just good, with the exclussion of nonexistant Legacy SB16 Mode ofcourse.

So i wonder (and ask at the same time) if Audigy 1 has WDM Legacy SB16 support, because if yes, then it probably can play DOS MIDI utilising the Audigy MIDI Synthesizer from WDM driver, like SB Live! could. I just dont want to buy another card which would turn out to be useless.