VOGONS

First post, by Doppler

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Ok. I have a totally noob question.

I found a fine sounding 4MB GM soundfont in .sf2 format. Now I want to have it playing in DOS, but few questions have emerged.
1. Which ISA/PCI card should i look for, which would let me load this sf2 soundfonts into rom?
2. Does the sf2 must be loaded manually every time I'd boot the PC? or is it flashed to rom and loads automatically?

I'll repeat what's most important: IT MUST WORK UNDER REAL DOS. So NO windows legacy mode or anything similar.

Reply 1 of 6, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You'll need an AWE32. (You could get an AWE64, but the memory modules for that are not easy to find.)

And yes, you have to load it every time the PC is booted. It might be retained if you just soft-boot with Ctrl-Alt-Del, but it only takes seconds to load anyway.

Reply 2 of 6, by Doppler

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

1. Is it possible to load it automatically from autoexec.bat?

2. Which model of awe32 would you suggest?

3. Does it accept cheap EDO RAM sticks?
(found answer about AWE32 RAM compatibility in this topic Awe32 ram. What kind, and where to get it? )

Reply 3 of 6, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Doppler wrote:

1. Is it possible to load it automatically from autoexec.bat?

Well, yes, why wouldn't it be?

2. Which model of awe32 would you suggest?

The one you can find. 😒
http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.ca/2012/07/so … 64-options.html

Reply 4 of 6, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Before you invest, you might want to take note that it is not easy to get Soundfonts working for DOS games in pure DOS:
AWE64 Gold, Soundfonts and General MIDI in MS-DOS

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul

Reply 5 of 6, by Kamerat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Trident 4DWave-NX can use soundfonts (.SF2) under DOS, but it wavetable part sucks, often playing wrong instruments. 🙁

DOS Sound Blaster compatibility: PCI sound cards vs. PCI chipsets
YouTube channel

Reply 6 of 6, by Kamerat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Maybe this is the best option for using soundfonts in pure DOS: Roland MT-32, CM-32L + General MIDI for $50 Building a MIDI box

DOS Sound Blaster compatibility: PCI sound cards vs. PCI chipsets
YouTube channel