VOGONS

First post, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

So, I own an MT32, an MT200 (GM\GS with floppy drive for mixing), and an SC7. I've been interested in, at some point, learning how to compose music using these devices for a 100% authentic "old school" sound. Its just a curiosity to me at this point, so I've just been looking at old second hand keyboards at Goodwill, yardsales, etc.

The GM\GS compatible devices seem fairly simple... all I'd need to get would be a good quality keyboard that supports those standards. But how do you utilize an MT32? I know that it can do a lot of interesting things that aren't perfectly replicated by the later GM\GS devices, so how do I actually take advantage of what it does?

I assume it is a matter of having a combination of a keyboard that will let me use the more limited instrument set of the MT32 and then some kind of software that can allow me to use any effects that would be MT32 specific... but I have no idea where to start with this.

If anyone has any suggestions on where to start I'd appreciate it. My goal is to be able to play a real keyboard (not using a mouse or PC keyboard), hear the sound in real time using my MT32 or MT200 (hooked up to an amp), while passing the midi information to my PC to record the tracks on my computer (I have a Roland UM One USB midi interface). Then, when I play with them later on the computer, I should be able to hear them on the proper device just as they are supposed to sound. In the end, I'd probably be mixing recorded MT32 and GM\GS tracks on the computer to have the final tracks in a lossless format with the authentic sound from both devices in one track.

This will mostly be for learning, but maybe at some point I'll actually get proficient. Ease of use would take precedent over professional quality at this point.

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 1 of 2, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You could start by looking for a "MIDI controller" preferably with at least 4 octaves and velocity-sensitive keys. That would be a starting point.

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O

Reply 2 of 2, by MMaximus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If you already have a Roland UM-One you only need two more things: a midi controller keyboard and a DAW (Digital Audio Workstation) software. You record midi material one track at a time in your DAW using the midi keyboard and then arrange the material into a song. The DAW will store the song and can play it back on the MT-32. Everything will be stored in your software as Midi data - if you later want to record this Midi as audio, you will also need an audio interface. You would then be able to mix the tracks and manipulate the audio in your DAW. I use Cubase but have heard good things about Cockos Reaper which is much cheaper I believe.

I would start using the MT-32 default tones and see how it goes. If you want to modify the default sounds you can try and fiddle with the MT-32 front panel although all your changes will be lost on power off unless you dump the MT-32 settings as a Sysex in your DAW - this is probably a bit complex so I wouldn't bother right now. Also, there used to be software editors to change the MT-32 tones but I'm not sure these old programs would work on a modern machine.

I wouldn't worry about GM/GS compatibility for the keyboard - basically any USB or midi keyboard will do. You will access the different MT-32 sounds using its front panel buttons, or by selecting them in your DAW.

Hard Disk Sounds