VOGONS

First post, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hi everyone,

I got this model keyboard a few days ago, because it appeared to have a switch for XT/AT operation on it. But on closer inspection, the switch is missing!

Here's what it's supposed to look like:

1200px-NTC_KB-6251EA_--_XT-AT_selector_switch_on_PCB.jpg
Filename
1200px-NTC_KB-6251EA_--_XT-AT_selector_switch_on_PCB.jpg
File size
246.35 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

And here's what mine looks like (as you can see, just 5 empty solder pads).

IMG_0337.JPG
Filename
IMG_0337.JPG
File size
974.81 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

I can't find a schematic for this thing anywhere on the internet. Does anyone have any ideas as to what kind of switch that is and how it should be soldered in?

World's foremost 486 enjoyer.

Reply 1 of 9, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
keenmaster486 wrote:

I can't find a schematic for this thing anywhere on the internet. Does anyone have any ideas as to what kind of switch that is and how it should be soldered in?

Look at the physical construction of the switch in the first image. The outer two solder pads are mainly mechanical support for the switch, they're connected directly to the switch's outer casing.

This leaves the middle three solder pads. The centre pin is be common, and will be linked to one side for AT mode, and the other for XT.

Your keyboard will need a Single Pole Double Throw (SPDT) switch connected to the middle three solder points, and you'll also need to break that little connection just below where the switch connects.

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 2 of 9, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

By golly, I think you're right... and on closer inspection (high res photo here), I think you're also right about breaking that solder bridge.

Thanks a lot, sir! I'll be soldering that in pronto, and we'll see if it works!

Reply 4 of 9, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Well, I'm 95% sure, which is good enough for me 🤣
There's actually no way to tell at this point, since there's no corresponding picture on that website that I can use to compare. I'll probably just solder the switch on and see if it works.

Reply 5 of 9, by Jepael

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Also by the looks of it, a single pole single throw switch would suffice, as the other pole is not connected anywhere. So it may be enough to just either short the two pins or let them be disconnected.

Reply 6 of 9, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Say, you may be right there... I'll try removing that solder bridge first and see if that makes it work.

The most I can do right now is confirm that it's not in AT mode, since I don't have a monitor for my XT board yet (fingers crossed, it'll be here Tuesday!)

Reply 7 of 9, by Brickpad

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
keenmaster486 wrote:

Hi everyone,

I got this model keyboard a few days ago, because it appeared to have a switch for XT/AT operation on it. But on closer inspection, the switch is missing!

By the looks of the photos, I would say that this particular model was not manufactured for switchable AT/XT operation. I would also assume that it is also missing other important components in order to work in AT or XT mode.

Reply 8 of 9, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The model number on the PCB says KB-6251EA, which matches the link I posted. Mine is marked version 6.0, though, as opposed to version 5.0 on that webpage.

But the case on my keyboard has a clearly marked slot for an "8088/80286" switch. I'm inclined to hope that it was a manufacturing error, and the switch was omitted.

I severed that solder bridge with a knife, and it still works as an AT keyboard (plugged into my laptop with an AT/PS2 adapter).

Reply 9 of 9, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Brickpad wrote:
keenmaster486 wrote:

Hi everyone,

By the looks of the photos, I would say that this particular model was not manufactured for switchable AT/XT operation. I would also assume that it is also missing other important components in order to work in AT or XT mode.

Without seeing the whole PCB, I'd say the trace just goes to a pin on the keyboard's controller chip.

And by the sounds of things, that's the case.

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread