VOGONS

Worst cpus and worst computer builds

Topic actions

Reply 40 of 96, by Standard Def Steve

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Those Northwood Celerons were impressively bad. Jeez, I'd say they were even worse off than the original cacheless ones. Most people ran Win98 on their Covingtons, and 9x didn't take nearly as much of a performance hit as NT when cache size/performance wasn't up to par. But those Northwood Celerons were expected to run XP!

My PIII-S @ 1575 legitimately spanks the 2.6Ghz Celeron in pretty much everything: Far Cry, Doom 3, Painkiller, NFSU, Superpi, 7-Zip, 3DMark99-2003, the list just goes on and on.

It even outperformed the Celeron in pure x87 FP, now that was surprising.

94 MHz NEC VR4300 | SGI Reality CoPro | 8MB RDRAM | Each game gets its own SSD - nooice!

Reply 41 of 96, by RetroBoogie

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hmm.. worst build personally would be one that you turn from real nice to real crap by fudging a setting.

I built a S939 Athlon 64 3800+/2GB DDR400/GeForce 6800 Ultra to try and build a fast Win98/XP machine. After installing 98 with a 512MB stick, I limited the RAM with HimemX and reinstalled the 2GB. Windows 98 booted ok, so I proceeded to also limit MaxPhysPage to 512MB just to be safe. Instead of typing 20000, I missed a zero and limited Win98 to 32MB. After rebooting, any mouse click took 2-3 minutes to register and my hard drive got a swap file workout.

Being sleepy appears to be a more formidable foe than slow parts.

Reply 42 of 96, by FuzzyLogic

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Worst CPU for me would be a Cyrix P166+. It is the only processor that I've seen burn out on its own when using a good heatsink/fan and without overclocking it

Reply 43 of 96, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

We had a Cyrix 6x86 P166+ with an ISA Cirrus Logic CL-GD5426 video card. It took a while to finally realize it was slowing things down and upgrade to PCI. I think the framerate of Duke Nukem 3D doubled.

The worst computer build I've ever had was my family's first home built. We called around to find a cheap motherboard and guess what we found. That build had a generic 486 motherboard built by PC Chips. The layout is an exact match to the board that's shown in redhill's article about the infamous fake cache board, the only difference is that our board had a socketed BIOS and socketed cache chips. I do not know if the cache was real, but it had the same anonymous chipset with the simple 3 letter code on it and a sticker to cover that up to look better. I didn't figure all this out until reading that web site 15 years later - at the time we were clueless.
It was chronically unstable, half the games I wanted to play were simply unplayable because it would crash them so much. The remaining games were playable only because the crashes were just rare enough that I could tolerate them.

Reply 44 of 96, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

A VIA SS7 + WinChip with a PowerVR PCX1 and a Rush and a bad WSS should be interesting. Even better with unpatched Windows ME on top. That way, you get all API (that are popular) support, CPU features (MMX+3DNow) support, and it's all bad hardware!

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 45 of 96, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
leileilol wrote:

A VIA SS7 + WinChip with a PowerVR PCX1 and a Rush and a bad WSS should be interesting. Even better with unpatched Windows ME on top. That way, you get all API (that are popular) support, CPU features (MMX+3DNow) support, and it's all bad hardware!

If you get a PC Chips board with the "TX Pro" chipset, it would simultaneously be a badly implemented VIA board and the worst "Intel" motherboard ever made. Or you could go with a Covington Celeron to see how no L2 cache completely bones performance.

Last edited by gdjacobs on 2016-09-23, 06:01. Edited 2 times in total.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 46 of 96, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
leileilol wrote:

I love the way you thought here, all the potential for greatness hampered by crap real life performance in one machine 😀

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 47 of 96, by Super_Relay

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

haha our first PC when i was a kid came with dos 4

an ibm ps/2 model 30 286 with 1mb of ram

i actually quite liked the shell it came with, a touch memory hungry but less so than windows 3.1 or quickmenu

Reply 48 of 96, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
ODwilly wrote:

How about a matx Skywell i5 build, one of the models w/o IGP (s?) 1tb ssd, 64gb of ddr4! . . .and have a pci Matrox g450 running Windows 7? Because there are proper Windows drivers for it.

I like my xeon e5 build as everything works right unlike much of the mess that people suffer with in the mainstream, small margins since sandy bridge and limited pic-e lanes meant that I didn't have much of an option. At least the cpu was cheap at only $109 (woot 12 cores 24 threads) paired with a $126 quad channel ddr4 board I think I did pretty good vs most budget builds. 😎

I can live with gimped clocks for a while till businesses start dumping their Haswell procs in mass after they upgrade to their 20+ core Broadwell monsters.

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 49 of 96, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Standard Def Steve wrote:

Those Northwood Celerons were impressively bad. Jeez, I'd say they were even worse off than the original cacheless ones. Most people ran Win98 on their Covingtons, and 9x didn't take nearly as much of a performance hit as NT when cache size/performance wasn't up to par. But those Northwood Celerons were expected to run XP!

My PIII-S @ 1575 legitimately spanks the 2.6Ghz Celeron in pretty much everything: Far Cry, Doom 3, Painkiller, NFSU, Superpi, 7-Zip, 3DMark99-2003, the list just goes on and on.

It even outperformed the Celeron in pure x87 FP, now that was surprising.

A lot of those eventually ended up running Vista then later 7. :s

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 50 of 96, by ynari

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It'd have to be an Adlib Gold as a soundcard - not completely useless, but one of the most short lived products ever.

Hercules graphics card of course..

Reply 51 of 96, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

- anything with an AMD E350/E450
- anything with a NetBurst Celeron, especially with onboard graphics
- most Athlon 64 x2 builds
- most consumer laptops

Reply 52 of 96, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:
- anything with an AMD E350/E450 - anything with a NetBurst Celeron, especially with onboard graphics - most Athlon 64 x2 builds […]
Show full quote

- anything with an AMD E350/E450
- anything with a NetBurst Celeron, especially with onboard graphics
- most Athlon 64 x2 builds
- most consumer laptops

The Brazos chips were fine for their intended purpose in very low power applications. They offered a step up from the Atom chips of the time and their highly limited GMA chipsets. Lots of them got shoveled into low quality 15" laptops where they didn't really belong, though.

Reply 55 of 96, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Any build that includes an Atom CPU. They are terrible at anything that involves a GUI or graphics of any kind, be it Windows or Linux. The only use I have found for the couple of Atom boards I have come across is as headless Linux fileservers.

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O

Reply 56 of 96, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
stamasd wrote:

Any build that includes an Atom CPU. They are terrible at anything that involves a GUI or graphics of any kind, be it Windows or Linux. The only use I have found for the couple of Atom boards I have come across is as headless Linux fileservers.

Atoms are also good for firewalls (pfsense/ipcop/ipfire). Don't even need much RAM unless you want to run IDS/proxy.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 57 of 96, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
clueless1 wrote:
stamasd wrote:

Atoms are also good for firewalls (pfsense/ipcop/ipfire). Don't even need much RAM unless you want to run IDS/proxy.

Yes, I have openwrt on one. But anything desktop-related, forget it.

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O

Reply 58 of 96, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Atom CPUs are a great illustration of both the Grove-Gates Law and Wirth's Law (which are variants of each other). In the first, “The speed of software halves every 18 months.” This is sometimes stated as “What Andy giveth, Bill taketh away.” In the second, “Software is getting slower more rapidly than hardware is getting faster.”

So, you can choose which one to believe depending on your pessimism.

The real crime with the Atom chipset, though, is the intentionally crippled chipset.

Reply 59 of 96, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
leileilol wrote:

Probably referring to the pre-Phenom Athlon64 x2 which needed a "dual-core optimizer" program for it

That's exactly what I was referring to. The Athlon II was actually a good chip, since it was basically just a cost-reduced Phenom II. 😀