VOGONS

First post, by amino glycine

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey everyone,

I hope this is the right place to ask this question. I've got a 4DPS motherboard (version 2.11). The BIOS is 1.71. I've tried flashing a new BIOS but it appears I might have the eprom version so sadly I can't.

Anyways, I have an 8GB compact flash card I'm using as the hard drive. The BIOS can detect it, I can boot from a floppy (well, the GOTEK floppy emulator in this case) and install MSDOS onto it no problem, and I can use fdisk to create partitions and the format utility to format it. The problem is, no matter how I install DOS (6.22 via setup disks, 7.1 via formatting the drive with /S and copying the bootdisk files to C:\DOS), it won't boot. My system gets to the PCI device listing and then just hangs.

What else could be going on?

Thanks!

Reply 1 of 13, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Is this the first time you're using the CF card to boot DOS?

Boot from the GOTEK again, then run

fdisk /mbr

If you have the issue I think you have, it's a very common thing 😀 I have to do this with every factory new CF or SD card. But only once 😀

Nice motherboard BTW!

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 2 of 13, by amino glycine

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Phil, that was it! Thank you so much!

Btw, I love your videos, I installed MSDOS 7.1 via your method this morning.

And yeah, it's a pretty nice late-era 486 motherboard. Picked up it up on ebay from a guy in the Ukraine that has a bunch of them.

Reply 3 of 13, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Excellent 😀

Good on you for installing MS-DOS 7.1. It's great having a bit more space than with FAT 16. I also did such an installation today, on a 486 DX2 66 and played some System Shock.

There are a lot of motherboards from the Ukraine I found. It would be awesome if you stick around, maybe share how you go with your Tomato board.

Reply 6 of 13, by amino glycine

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Just installed the drivers for my SB AWE64 PnP and it worked great

Without getting too off topic, I have both an S3 Virge Stealth 3D 2000 and 3000. Both have 2MB of RAM. Any opinions as to which one is better or are they both about the same?

Reply 8 of 13, by amino glycine

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Good to know, thanks!

A few things I've noticed so far:

1. It seems like I'm able to run my AMD486DX4 at 120MHz (instead of 100MHz) with no problems. Neat. Yes, I am using a fan and heatsink.
2. After installing the drivers for my AWE64, when rebooting I would get a message about AWE32 initialization failing. Running diagnose.exe would then report it couldn't set the base address. I then found that running ctcm.exe fixed the issue, so I put that in my autoexec before all the other creative stuff gets run. Now I no longer see the error during boot. Is this a normal issue?
3. Speaking of diagnose.exe, it reports I have some faulty DRAM. Everything sounds fine though, so I don't know how worried I should be.
4. Descent runs pretty slow 🙁. Is this normal for my setup? I remember running it on a Pentium 133MHz back in the day but maybe the 486 just can't keep up with the game.

Reply 9 of 13, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

There should be an entry for CTCM in CONFIG.SYS. Not sure what happened, but you can just put an entry in AUTOEXEC.BAT as well if you like. Maybe the installer ran into an issue?

Descent does indeed struggle to run well on a 486. At least on my DX2 66 it was not something I would call playable.

If the RAM is faulty, that shouldn't affect anything but uploading SoundFonts into memory 😀

Reply 10 of 13, by amino glycine

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
PhilsComputerLab wrote:

There should be an entry for CTCM in CONFIG.SYS. Not sure what happened, but you can just put an entry in AUTOEXEC.BAT as well if you like. Maybe the installer ran into an issue?

Descent does indeed struggle to run well on a 486. At least on my DX2 66 it was not something I would call playable.

If the RAM is faulty, that shouldn't affect anything but uploading SoundFonts into memory 😀

Would performance improve much with a 586?

Reply 12 of 13, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
amino glycine wrote:

Would performance improve much with a 586?

The AMD 5x86 133 is really just "fast 486".

Without going to a Skt3 Pentium Overdrive, or changing out to a Pentium motherboard, the increased performance is only vaguely proportional to the increased clock speed.

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 13 of 13, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

At stock clocks, I would expect higher clock CPUs like the 5x86 to hit limits due to the FSB. Generalized Amdahl's law at work.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder