VOGONS

USB keyboard / mouse in DOS?

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 27, by wallaby

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well, the VIA PCI USB card arrived today.

It smelled like vomit. I almost gagged opening the mail.

It also had a bit of surface rust and it's missing a tiny capacitor on the board. Not sure if it will prevent it from running.

I stuck it in a tub of vinegar to kill the wretched smell and remove the rust. It did both. Now it smells strongly of vinegar, which is a marked improvement.

I'm not holding out a lot of hope for this thing...

Reply 22 of 27, by sztojanov

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

+1 fails... My usb keyboard working with no driver installed on my ASUS P2B-F with P2 processor under DOS v6.22! Working, until loaded the usb mouse driver: freezing my keyboard and mouse still no working. Anyway cant get working the USB mouse with any driver.

Reply 23 of 27, by FAMICOMASTER

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Some boards have a BIOS option to emulate USB keyboards, but I don't think that will help you here.

Many USB keyboards will go into PS/2 mode if they do not get a USB handshake, so if you use a USB -> PS/2 adapter and then a PS/2 -> AT adapter, you may have some luck using one on a vintage machine like this.

I'm not certain, but I think I remember something similar about some wired USB mice. Without the handshake they also go into a PS/2 mode, and some 486 motherboards may have a header for a PS/2 mouse port. If you're really really lucky, you can get it working with USB -> PS/2 and then a PS/2 -> Serial adapter.

Get this... Go a step further and go USB -> PS/2 -> DB9 Serial -> DB25 serial. I would love to see the chain of adapters used to make a USB mouse work on a PC / XT class machine. Maybe look for one of those wireless mice as well and see if you can force that to work! Wouldn't that be amazing.

Reply 24 of 27, by dylanrush

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I built a custom device for this because my USB keyboard and mouse were part of a USB KVM and were thus behind a USB hub on a single USB port. So none of the adapters out there would work. I used an Arduino with a USB Host shield to connect to the keyboard and mouse. I used the ps2dev library to emulate a PS2 keyboard. I used a TTL to RS232 adapter to emulate a serial mouse. I have some really crappy code if anyone is actually interested.

Reply 25 of 27, by tabs12

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi i want my usb mouse to work in dos 7.1 im bootng dos from USB and after USBUHCI is instaled my USB drive C:\ is unmounted how to fix this i cant find easy answer in that 186 page instruction i want easy step by step instruction not a 186 page BOOK 🤣

Reply 26 of 27, by Babasha

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
tabs12 wrote on 2023-10-23, 07:43:

Hi i want my usb mouse to work in dos 7.1 im bootng dos from USB and after USBUHCI is instaled my USB drive C:\ is unmounted how to fix this i cant find easy answer in that 186 page instruction i want easy step by step instruction not a 186 page BOOK 🤣

Re: USB Mouse windows 95

Need help? Begin with photo and model of your hardware 😉

Reply 27 of 27, by tabs12

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Babasha wrote on 2023-10-23, 08:11:
tabs12 wrote on 2023-10-23, 07:43:

Re: USB Mouse windows 95

thx but i fixed this just by turning on legacy mouse support in bios 🤣 now is working without additional software