VOGONS

First post, by notsonic

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've been working on a retro setup for a while now. It's a 486 with a VLB motherboard, so no PCI slots here.

Growing up one of the things I never had was a "real" Sound Blaster. I always had a Media Magic ISP16. So I decided to get a real Sound Blaster for this build. I tried the SB16 SCSI (CT1770), no good. Can't play midi and sfx at the same time as its got the v4.13 chip. I then decided to get an AWE64 (CT4500) which posed a few problems. 1, no CDROM controller, and 2, I really didn't feel like futzing with drivers, especially since they were on a CD and I was now without a CDROM controller.

So before going all in with the AWE64 and trying to figure out how to get it to work side by side with the SB16 for SCSI, I pulled both out and put the ISP16 back in just to see. And everything works fine. Not only does Doom work fine without any obvious hanging notes or slowdown, Kings Quest VI also works with General MIDI and speech! I don't know why I ever tried to replace this card. I think it also has a real Yamaha chip.

I HIGHLY recommend this card to anyone looking for a one size fits all solution for their ISA sound card needs. There's a handful on eBay.

It does have Wave Blaster header but unfortunately I don't have anything to try it with. It's working with my SC-55mk2 just fine (and I can route the headphone out from the SC55 to the line in on the card, no mixer required). It also seems to work just fine as an IDE CDROM controller. I don't have the proprietary types to test out but it supports all of those too.

If I had one gripe it's that it doesn't have a PC Speaker connector.

For a little history, it would appear that Media Magic was a hardware manufacturer and this card is a Voyetra/Turtle Beach design.

I imagine this post isn't terribly useful but I wanted to get the word out there.