VOGONS

First post, by kaputnik

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Using a ThinkVision LT1913p IPS monitor for my retro machines, together with a pair of cheap, crappy 90's "multimedia speakers" for the sound.

There's a soundbar peripheral available for the monitor, which I'm thinking of picking up. It's quite expensive, but might be worth it to get rid of those multimedia speakers cluttering the desktop, if the sound quality is OK.

This might be a quite far fetched and specific question, please bear with me; do any of you guys have any experience at all with this specific soundbar, or products like it for other monitors? Could it be worth the ~$40 asked? I don't expect any acoustic wonders, but do you think it at least could match those cheap multimedia speakers from the end of the 90's?

Might also add that I had something like those speakers back in the days, so I really don't need anything too much better sounding. It's a nostalgia thing 😁 Using headphones when I want better sound quality.

Reply 1 of 3, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Maybe I'm missing something. How do you get sound to the sound bar? It says that it only has a USB interface... but the cord looks like it's only a couple feet long.

If it connects to the monitor and the monitor provides a standard mini jack then I guess that'd explain it... But I'm not seeing anything about an audio jack on the monitor.

If it is USB only, it would act as it's own audio device, would require it's own drivers and would work totally independently of any sound card. Probably not ideal for a retro machine, especially for DOS.

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 2 of 3, by notsonic

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have a dell sound bar that i use with a 2007FP and I'm pretty happy with it as far as quality vs clutter. The dell sound bars get power from a dc jack on the monitor but they have a normal 3.5mm jack for audio.

It seems like the speaker bar in question is USB only. I wonder if a Dell speaker bar would fit your monitor (the clips look similar), but then you'd still have to power it somehow.

Reply 3 of 3, by kaputnik

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Ozzuneoj wrote:

Maybe I'm missing something. How do you get sound to the sound bar? It says that it only has a USB interface... but the cord looks like it's only a couple feet long.

If it connects to the monitor and the monitor provides a standard mini jack then I guess that'd explain it... But I'm not seeing anything about an audio jack on the monitor.

If it is USB only, it would act as it's own audio device, would require it's own drivers and would work totally independently of any sound card. Probably not ideal for a retro machine, especially for DOS.

Read somewhere it got a 3.5mm TRS input jack, and if using that, the USB connection only was used for powering the soundbar. Its description on the product page implies you're right though 😀

notsonic wrote:

I have a dell sound bar that i use with a 2007FP and I'm pretty happy with it as far as quality vs clutter. The dell sound bars get power from a dc jack on the monitor but they have a normal 3.5mm jack for audio.

It seems like the speaker bar in question is USB only. I wonder if a Dell speaker bar would fit your monitor (the clips look similar), but then you'd still have to power it somehow.

I'll look into it as an alternative, if I'm wrong about the TRS input jack. Powering it shouldn't pose a problem, could always mod the monitor and tap power from some suitable point on its PCB:s, if the soundbar doesn't want some really odd voltage, and isn't too power hungry that is. Worst case scenario is that I'll have to use a dedicated PSU.