VOGONS

First post, by lowlytech

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Growing up always intrigued by the PC, I finally got the bug several years ago to start collecting for a retro pc build. Surprised how difficult it was to find old hardware in my area, most of my stuff came from ebay. Well it kinda turned into accumulating too much stuff over the years and now I find myself really needing to streamline a few of the retro systems down due to lack of physical space. Growing up I played most of my games on 386/486 systems so this era is very dear to my heart, basically late 80's early 90s which I think I have covered pretty well with a 486/33 running dos 6.22 + windows 3.11

For the later games like quake and such I know the 486 won't cut it, so I have a few Pentium/2/3 machines, but what I am wondering is if you can skip over the pentium and P2 era, and straight to a P3 without any ill effects in game compatibility. My current lineup in question is

Whitebox Pentium (Socket 7) 120MHz
Whitebox Pentium (Socket 5)100Mhz
Micron millennia P2 (slot 1) 350Mhz
Whitebox pentium P3 (socket 370) 933Mhz

All systems have at least one ISA slot outfitted with AWE64 and windows 98SE as the OS of choice.. Do you think there is any huge benefit in keeping the p1 and p2 systems? As bad as I want to keep them all for historical value with the different socket/slots types and progression of hardware, I am going to have to consolidate a bit. I can't think of why a P3 can't do everything the other 3 pentium machines can do, but I thought I would ask the experts here before I started thinking about getting rid of some hardware. Thanks for any suggestions or advice you guy have.

Reply 1 of 5, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Some games get weird with very fast CPUs, but that's basically it as long as you have enough ISA and PCI slots to accommodate any cards you want to use.

One game that I remember having speed issues back in the day was Daggerfall. On a Pentium 200 MMX it mostly ran fine, but on a P2 400 there were some things that seemed to be glitched due to the CPU speed. The most obvious problem was that the sound effects in many situations were messed up. Like the guards yelling "HALT!" would repeat several times per second on the faster CPU, which would drive you NUTS when there were lots of guards around. Or riding a horse... the hoof sounds would some times do this crazy rapid sputtering sound rather than the normal paced clop-clop they should have. I'm pretty sure this was related to the CPU speed, though admittedly its been 17 years...

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 2 of 5, by firage

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

No doubt there's some use for Pentium class machines if you want to cover everything. Especially so as you're also covering the later 486 library with them.

One quite common issue is the "Error 200" bug, which has its cutoff at P2 grades or a bit higher with AMD chips. It stops several DOS games from running, even fairly late ones that benefit from Pentium level performance. There is a hack that you can apply to fix the executables, though.

My big-red-switch 486

Reply 3 of 5, by j^aws

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

OP: since you have a Socket 370 board, I'd check with the latest BIOS update to see whether a VIA Cyrix Ezra-T or Ezra CPU is compatible. If so, you can even ditch your 486 because of the flexible speed range provided by this platform. It won't be as fast as a P933, but then there are better platforms for that era of games needing 3D acceleration...

If you care about some speed-sensitive games ranging from 486 to P200 (E.G. Magic Carpet ~ P 60, Wipout XL/ 2097 ~ P200), then the P3 isn't suitable. Some will recommend Throttle to slowdown a P3, but this has glitches due to not being a smooth hardware slowdown technique.

Reply 4 of 5, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I wouldn't toss anything but honestly just keep them and lose something less important 🤣 as hardware is only getting harder to come by these days.There is little to no guarantee what is cheap and easily available today will remain that way in the years to come so it will be wise to hold onto what you got. Remember those 3DFX cards that used to be so easily had for less than $10 a pop and look at what the go for now as it is rather depressing.

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 5 of 5, by lowlytech

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I guess there is never any magic bullet system that gets it all, I was afraid of that. I have heard of the borland 200 error on faster cpu's. While I know this is an issue for pure dos, does it still apply if it runs the dos app under windows 98?

I haven't played daggerfall, but I will try to see how it runs on the various systems with the sound issues.

I think back myself on all the hardware I threw out not thinking that I would ever want or need it again, and it turns out everything kinda went full circle. I am way more interested in older hardware than I am with the latest greatest thing they are currently coming out with. Makes me wish I had saved my first PC I owned. I agree, older hardware is getting scarce. All I find now that is surplus at places I work for is piles and piles of socket 775 systems.