VOGONS

Opinions on Pentium 1 systems

Topic actions

First post, by computergeek92

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Some people regard Pentium Classic as nothing special, and wouldn't trade a 486 for one. AFAIK Pentiums were just too fast for speed sensitive games. Even my old 75MHz was too fast for Serra's QFG4. On the flipside, many of them were too slow to be good Win98 machines, excepting the 200MHz and possibly the 166. Windows 95 is fast on them. Back to gaming, no real difference between them and Pentium II's and III's, only far slower. The first computer I remember using was a Pentium 1 AST tower and it was a fun ride back then. So what are your thoughts on Pentium 1 systems? Are they turbtastic dream machines, or simply nostalgic?

Dedicated Windows 95 Aficionado for good reasons:
http://toastytech.com/evil/setup.html

Reply 1 of 20, by squareguy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hmmm. The first computer I bought was a Gateway 2000 200-MHz MMX desktop so they hold special meanings for me. A Pentium 1 with 64MB RAM, S3 PCI video card, 3dfx Voodoo1 3D card and a ISA (pick your poison) sound card running Windows 98 is pretty hard to beat for a lot of gaming. Pentiums can be slowed down with disabling L1 and L2 cache so older games can be played. AMD K6-2/3+ CPU's might be more flexible but definitely not required for a 'time machine'. Even phil shows (cant remember where) that a Pentium 200-MMX running at 200-MHz (2x100 FSB) with cache disabled is about the perfect 486 DX2 66 substitute. I love playing with a lot of things but a P1 system like I described would be pretty awesome.

Gateway 2000 Case and 200-Watt PSU
Intel SE440BX-2 Motherboard
Intel Pentium III 450 CPU
Micron 384MB SDRAM (3x128)
Compaq Voodoo3 3500 TV Graphics Card
Turtle Beach Santa Cruz Sound Card
Western Digital 7200-RPM, 8MB-Cache, 160GB Hard Drive
Windows 98 SE

Reply 2 of 20, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Look at it this way:
-a 486 with cache and turbo manipulation, can play games from the mid 1980s to 1993 no problem. Even some games from 1994-1995 (graphic adventures and other non-demanding games).
-a fast (P133+) Pentium with cache manipulation can play games from 1990 to 1996.

So there are some older games that will work on the 486 but not the Pentium. And some newer games that will run well on the Pentium but not the 486. Target the games you want to play and see where they fall. That will determine whether a Pentium is the right choice for you.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 3 of 20, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I spent THOUSANDS of hours playing Starcraft on a pentium 133.

In reality, it all comes down to what games you want to play.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 4 of 20, by Scali

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Depends on the kind of games/software you're running I suppose?
The Pentium was THE system for Quake.
Also, the Pentium era was when the first 3D accelerators came out. So Pentium + VooDoo was an interesting platform for example.

For me personally, the Pentium was the first machine that could run Windows NT 4.0 nicely, and formed a great development machine with Visual C++ 6.0. NT 4.0 was super-stable, and you had very smooth multitasking and nice 32-bit disk access etc. It was the first time a PC gave me that Amiga-feeling in terms of smoothness and being able to multitask properly.

Pentiums were also really interesting to optimize in assembly for, with their dual pipeline configuration. You could make it go REALLY fast with properly hand-tuned code.
Then the Pentium MMX came out, which was the icing on the cake for people optimizing graphics code in assembly.

So yea, for me the Pentium was a pretty cool era.

http://scalibq.wordpress.com/just-keeping-it- … ro-programming/

Reply 5 of 20, by SW-SSG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It's mostly nostalgia for me, as some of the first PCs I could call my own had P5x CPUs (66, MMX 233, 133). It's one reason why I keep the Toshiba in my sig running.

Reply 6 of 20, by ElementalChaos

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Pentiums have their place, especially for late (1995-1997ish) DOS games as well as early Win9x games which are sometimes speed-sensitive and run too fast on P2s and up.

Pluto, the maxed out Dell Dimension 4100: Pentium III 1400S | 256MB | GeForce4 Ti4200 + Voodoo4 4500 | SB Live! 5.1
Charon, the DOS and early Windows time machine: K6-III+ 600 | 256MB | TNT2 Ultra + Voodoo3 2000 | Audician 32 Plus

Reply 7 of 20, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Pentium 1 systems to me are the budget option when 386 and 486 hardware is too hard or costly to be had (very much so for some parts of the world) and one can avoid the troubles of building an AT build this way. The upsides to Socket 7 is that there are ATX boards still available in small numbers and one doesn't have to struggle with finding decent dos compatible pci graphics cards. The cherry on top is being able to do performance emulation through clock and cache manipulation so you can emulate 386 and 486 performance but it is not the complete range. In short yes socket 7 is the way to go for most building their first system or just want a 3 or 4 in one to reduce build cost but for pure dos gaming one is better off building a proper 386 and 486 systems instead of a single build.

If you got money to burn and the room just go for it building several systems to cover a wider range with better support for speed sensitive games.

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 8 of 20, by firage

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Pentiums are pretty nice for a wide range of stuff, but they're bland. A P200MMX was the first machine I bought with my own money as a teen. Having spent nearly six years with it, my own retro interests are in different things now.

My big-red-switch 486

Reply 9 of 20, by j^aws

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I don't understand why a 386 or 486 'better' for a pure DOS machine?

A 486 stops at a 486 speed - DOS gaming goes beyond this speed. And besides, you can get a full range of speeds from a 8088, 8086, 286, 386, 486, Pentium and Pentium II-class speeds from the right Socket 7 board and CPU combination, just not with the popular combinations posted here (SS7 + Pentium/ K6s)...

Reply 10 of 20, by firage

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

486's are pretty neat in various ways. You get the turbo button, VESA Local Bus, a ton of ISA slots for multiple sound cards, compact Baby AT cases with massive power switches, a mostly passively cooled system, and a 100-133 MHz 486 can do just about everything you need out of a pure DOS/Win3.1x machine.

My big-red-switch 486

Reply 11 of 20, by j^aws

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
firage wrote:

486's are pretty neat in various ways. You get the turbo button, VESA Local Bus, a ton of ISA slots for multiple sound cards, compact Baby AT cases with massive power switches, a mostly passively cooled system, and a 100-133 MHz 486 can do just about everything you need out of a pure DOS/Win3.1x machine.

- Turbo: Can be found on S5 and S7. Granted they are rare, but so are the best S3 boards.
- VLB: It's just a bus. What's connected is more important.
- ISA slots: Three and four are plenty and can be found on S7 boards. There are boards with even more if required.
- AT cases: S7 boards are common in this format. Large, low RPM fans can easily be attached for silence. Adapters exist for CPUs taking larger fans.
- 133MHz 486: Struggles with later DOS games, especially SVGA compared to S7 CPUs.

Reply 13 of 20, by j^aws

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
firage wrote:

Pentiums are out of place with most of these features, and stuff that struggles on a fast 486 runs best on a P3.

How are they out of place when I just explained every point above?

Besides, jumping from a 486 to P3 also skips speed ranges in-between. Unless it's an unlocked P3. And you can skip P3 with Socket 775.

Reply 14 of 20, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
j^aws wrote:
firage wrote:

Pentiums are out of place with most of these features, and stuff that struggles on a fast 486 runs best on a P3.

How are they out of place when I just explained every point above?

Besides, jumping from a 486 to P3 also skips speed ranges in-between. Unless it's an unlocked P3. And you can skip P3 with Socket 775.

Just don't bother as some of us including myself have our own way of doing things and others have been around the block for decades so when they go to build something they know what works best. When we want our 386/486 systems we want them and the same goes for all the other eras. This hobby is like a bag of chips and one chip isn't enough until we have had the whole bag crumbs and all.

Reply 15 of 20, by j^aws

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

^^ Sorry, but "don't bother'" with what? Discussing?

I still don't have an answer to why a 386/ 486 is better for a pure DOS machine. The OP was asking a question about nostalgia...

Reply 16 of 20, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
j^aws wrote:

I still don't have an answer to why a 386/ 486 is better for a pure DOS machine. The OP was asking a question about nostalgia...

The answer is already in this thread, the problem is that Pentium 1 systems do not emulate the full range of speeds that were seen on 386 and 486 systems as Pentium machines can either be too fast or too slow as there are limits to what most can accomplish through cache manipulation alone. Clocks even when the cache is turned off does matter and having a decent enough board to get the job done important if they want to play picky games other wise they have to miss out on some games. The 3 and 4 in 1 is great provided that you are ok with this plus they do save a lot of money, the only catch is that what most people are able to find are not particularly good as SS7 boards have become somewhat rare and expensive.

Reply 17 of 20, by j^aws

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

^^ There are better options than SS7 boards for speed sensitivity.

The too fast/ slow issue is resolved by boards that have very low FSBs, as low as 25/16 MHz for certain S5/ S7 boards. And there are slowdown techniques besides cache on/off. These boards have Turbo mechanisms for slowing. Some slowdown by forcing Write-thru cache policy on CPUs. These give a smooth range of speeds for 386/486 ranges.

With an interposer and K6-III+, and the right turbo-switched board, you can scale very smoothly from an 8088 to a PII (call it a 6in1). Even Slot 1 / Socket 370 with Ezra-T/ Ezra CPUs have a very smooth 386/486 range - better than the SS7 platform, which seems to be the constant reference point for slowdown.

So the problem that you're referring to is to do with the type of board attached to the Pentium (SS7), and not the Pentium itself.

Reply 18 of 20, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
nforce4max wrote:
j^aws wrote:

The answer is already in this thread, the problem is that Pentium 1 systems do not emulate the full range of speeds that were seen on 386 and 486 systems as Pentium machines can either be too fast or too slow as there are limits to what most can accomplish through cache manipulation alone. Clocks even when the cache is turned off does matter and having a decent enough board to get the job done important if they want to play picky games other wise they have to miss out on some games. The 3 and 4 in 1 is great provided that you are ok with this plus they do save a lot of money, the only catch is that what most people are able to find are not particularly good as SS7 boards have become somewhat rare and expensive.

In steps the P54C with TR12 registers.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 19 of 20, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I love my Pentium 😀 It's my main DOS machine. But I did lots of tests and it runs the games that I like. So like people already stated, it all depends on what games you want to play.

YouTube, Facebook, Website