VOGONS

First post, by ratco

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey guys,

I am looking for a "clipboard" for DOS. I want to open a document in Wordperfect or PDF and copy paste to other programs (like Turbo Pascal, Lotus 1-2-3 etc). Is it possible in DOS? Not under windows, pure DOS. I was thinking about a TSR that would take action with Ctrl+C and Ctrl+V keystrokes.
Anyone knows such a program?

Thanks in advance everyone! 😁

Reply 1 of 13, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
ratco wrote:

I want to open a document in Wordperfect or PDF

PDF, in DOS? It's hard to do anything with PDFs in DOS, let alone copy and paste from them.

I should say that there are patches for DOSBox that enable copy and pasting. But pure DOS would be tricky. There might be something simpler out there, but I'm pretty sure DESQview will do it. (Copying and pasting is of pretty limited utility outside of a multitasking environment anyway, isn't it?)

Reply 2 of 13, by keenerb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I seem to remember PRTSCR being able to dump screen buffer to an LPT device as I recall. I don't explicitly remember any TSRs that supported copy/paste but I wouldn't be surprised to find one...

Reply 3 of 13, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'm pretty sure there is something like this for DOS. It may have come with Desqview or some kind of other multisession DOS. I remember reading about it in an old copy of PC magazine. I can't remember how flexible it was though.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 5 of 13, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
ratco wrote:

I was thinking about a "non multitasking" approach.

But why? "Non-multitasking" implies that you'd start one program, copy some text to this "clipboard", quit the application, start the other application, and "paste". But if you're going to do that, why not just export stuff to a text file with the one program, and then import stuff from the text file with the other program? It is certain to cause far fewer problems.

Reply 6 of 13, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

But if you're going to do that, why not just export stuff to a text file with the one program, and then import stuff from the text file with the other program? It is certain to cause far fewer problems.

Because, while this would work, it's certainly less convenient than a clipboard since you have to save a separate file instead of simply using a key combination.

World's foremost 486 enjoyer.

Reply 7 of 13, by ratco

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
keenmaster486 wrote:

But if you're going to do that, why not just export stuff to a text file with the one program, and then import stuff from the text file with the other program? It is certain to cause far fewer problems.

Because, while this would work, it's certainly less convenient than a clipboard since you have to save a separate file instead of simply using a key combination.

Exactly.
Besides I am interested in using TSR programs to mount a "sort of multitasking" environment. Not that I find a lot of those anyway 🙁

Reply 8 of 13, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
keenmaster486 wrote:

Any such TSR is bound to have other awkward limitations that will likely cause more trouble than any convenience it may provide.

Reply 9 of 13, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Jorpho wrote:
ratco wrote:

I want to open a document in Wordperfect or PDF

PDF, in DOS? It's hard to do anything with PDFs in DOS, let alone copy and paste from them.

I should say that there are patches for DOSBox that enable copy and pasting. But pure DOS would be tricky. There might be something simpler out there, but I'm pretty sure DESQview will do it. (Copying and pasting is of pretty limited utility outside of a multitasking environment anyway, isn't it?)

There was a very, very old version of Acrobat Reader for DOS (v1 ?).. It's pretty useless in our modern world, though.
I highly doubt it still can read normal PDF files we do use about every day. Better use the OS/2 or Win 3.1 versions instead.
Adobe Acrobat Reader 3.0 can at least open normal files, even though their formatting is way off.

Here's a picture of Acrobat Reader for DOS. I've found it on someones personal website/gallery.
He/she has other cool pics about vintage hardware and software.

tacrodos.jpg

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 10 of 13, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It occurred to me to take a gander at http://www.opus.co.tt/dave/apps.htm , which does in fact suggest a couple of DOS PDF programs (including ones for text extraction).

No utilities for text copy and paste there, though. I did a search for <dos text grab tsr>, though, and it turned up a few things. http://www.pc-tools.net/dos/dosutils/ mentions a utility that will save a text screen to a file; http://archives.scovetta.com/pub/fehq/DOSUtils/00_index.htm mentions "GrabTSR" and "TEXTSNAP". http://freesoft.cyberside.net.ee/FreeSoft/screen.htm looks the most promising, though.

Reply 12 of 13, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

So did you already had a look at Sidekick? It was rather popular...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Borland_Sidekick
It has some clipboard functionality as well.

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel
FTP Server - Driver Archive and more
DVI2PCIe alignment and 2D image quality measurement tool

Reply 13 of 13, by ratco

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thank you so much everyone! I am gonna take a look at those. I am surprised that in my countless searches for dos software I never found that link ( http://archives.scovetta.com/pub/fehq/DOSUtils/00_index.htm )
Thanks everyone. I hope I will find what I need.