VOGONS

S3 video card

Topic actions

First post, by escarioth

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I manage to get everything working at last....(except that damn x3 problem for the amd5x86)
and this is the very last problem (i hope) i seem to get.

After installing a S3 trio64/v2 i noticed that it wont go higher then very low resolution.

-trying to play duke nukem 3d in svga cause game to not even start. (game plays if not set at vesa)
-in windows 95 resolution is set at 640x480 16 colors only...changing this result in rainbow colored screen.
-i tryed another S3....the S3trio64+ ...same problem.

so i tryed...
- found about a S3vbe20 file to install in autoexec.bat but it still didnt help with the problem.
- updated win95 drivers...meh...didnt help either..

so im stuck.. 🙁
Anyone has some infos on this kind of problem ?

system is build with Amd 5x86/75
with currently no sound card (will get one next week)

even if they're old....those old dos games are still the best!!!

Reply 1 of 16, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

What is the size of the video RAM ? (Even though having only 256KB of ram on this would be odd)

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 2 of 16, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

S3 Trio64v should be fine on am5x86, i'd guess it's more of the classic conflict involved if you can't get anything more than VGA. You should be able to get up to 800x600x16/1024x768x8 on a 1mb Trio

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 5 of 16, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It might as well be that the card has a jumper to enable VGA IRQ, which should be set.

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel
FTP Server - Driver Archive and more
DVI2PCIe alignment and 2D image quality measurement tool

Reply 6 of 16, by escarioth

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
kanecvr wrote:

Go into BIOS and set "Assign IRQ to VGA" and "PCI VGA Palette Snoop" to "Enabled"

There's no such option in my bios..does that mean i should figure out a way to update it ?

elianda wrote:

It might as well be that the card has a jumper to enable VGA IRQ, which should be set.

here's the card i got, except for those Vesa feature (i guess?) i dont see any other place where to check for jumpers
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/231775624346?_trksid=p … K%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Reply 7 of 16, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Erm, what about J3? Did you tried it?

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel
FTP Server - Driver Archive and more
DVI2PCIe alignment and 2D image quality measurement tool

Reply 8 of 16, by escarioth

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
elianda wrote:

nope, didnt find anything related to those.
i will try setting one on j3 tonight and write back about it

Reply 9 of 16, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hmm... That's indeed a strange issue you've got. Never had serious problems with a Trio myself so far.
If it is similar to the card in the link, you could try to change the jumper setting (the jumper is "hidden" near the VGA connector).
But if this still doesn't work, you could try to run NSSI and get some information about the card and perhaps even make a BIOS dump.
Another idea is to run a demo with S3 support, like Countdown by Realtech. It claims to have native support for the S3 cards and allows
the selection of different resolutions.

Attachments

• countdwn.png
    Filename
    countdwn.png
    File size
    52.97 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Countdown by Realtech
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • Filename
    countdwn.zip
    File size
    887.33 KiB
    Downloads
    40 downloads
    File license
Last edited by Jo22 on 2016-10-13, 18:59. Edited 1 time in total.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 10 of 16, by escarioth

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
elianda wrote:

Ok tryed to put a jumper on J3.
didnt change anything. its still wont even go 640x480 on 256 color...im stuck at 16 colors.

Jo22 wrote:
Hmm... That's indeed a strange issue you've got. Never had serious problems with a Trio myself so far. If it is similar to the c […]
Show full quote

Hmm... That's indeed a strange issue you've got. Never had serious problems with a Trio myself so far.
If it is similar to the card in the link, you could try to change the jumper setting (the jumper is "hidden" near the VGA connector).
But if this still doesn't work, you could try to run NSSI and get some information about the card and perhaps even make a BIOS dump.
Another idea is to run a demo with S3 support, like Countdown by Realtech. It claims to have native support for the S3 cards and allows
the selection of different resolutions.

Ill try to find this program and get some testing done.
but from what i can see that might maybe hint on whats going, my bios says display is Ega/Vga
i cant change this. everything from the few options i got is set to auto-config.
there's nothing i cant change about display options.

power management if set to manual i can disable Vesa or something like that.
what's weird is that duke nukem wont even start if i try 640x480 in dos.

another problem i seem to get is the onboard video. i didnt find anything about disabling it.
i looked everywhere for a jumper. nothing. so i disabled the card in win95
(wich ALWAYS goes detected everytime i booted win95)
but i was wondering, even if disabled...it could conflict with the S3 ?

ok well going to look for that program you shown up there.
thanks 😀

Reply 11 of 16, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I bet the on-board video card being enabled is the reason for your troubles. BTW, what is the on board video card? If it's a cirrus logic it's just as good as the S3 Trio64 (especially the CL-GD54xx versions).

Reply 12 of 16, by escarioth

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

yes its a cirrus logic....it seem to be able for upgrades...i see two empty slots...
what kind of chips goes in there ?

I wanted to go for a Dos menu system.. i always liked Direct access back when i was a kid.
sadly cirrus logic doesnt like it 😒 (resolution problems..if i try to change screen...everything goes shit)

guess better way would be to stick with the cirrus...and maybe somehow find a way to upgrade the board with better ram
in the two socket.

Reply 13 of 16, by escarioth

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
kanecvr wrote:

I bet the on-board video card being enabled is the reason for your troubles. BTW, what is the on board video card? If it's a cirrus logic it's just as good as the S3 Trio64 (especially the CL-GD54xx versions).

yes its exactly this same version 😁

Reply 14 of 16, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It takes regular video ram chips - like what's socketed on most PCI cards:

AT3Ds.JPG
Filename
AT3Ds.JPG
File size
180.27 KiB
Views
File license

If you have any video card with socketed chips like the ones above, you can remove them and place them in the sockets for the on board cirrus logic. Just make sure not to put them in backwards - the dot on the side of the chip should match the notch on the outside of the socket, like in the picture above. You can also de-solder chips off dead cards.

Reply 15 of 16, by escarioth

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
kanecvr wrote:

It takes regular video ram chips - like what's socketed on most PCI cards:

AT3Ds.JPG

If you have any video card with socketed chips like the ones above, you can remove them and place them in the sockets for the on board cirrus logic. Just make sure not to put them in backwards - the dot on the side of the chip should match the notch on the outside of the socket, like in the picture above. You can also de-solder chips off dead cards.

oooh really ? i do have 2 s3 video cards both with chips in their socket, ill try removing 2 of them 😀

Reply 16 of 16, by escarioth

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

update 😀

My direct access shell for dos now works (installed a previous version and everything works perfectly)
switched to Cirrus Logic (works)
put the extra ram from the S3 card and it upgraded to 2 megs (works)
everything seem to be going right tonight !

A big thank you to you all.
now i only need to find a way to switch the damn motherboard back at 2x so it can get to 133mhz