VOGONS

First post, by goodtofufriday

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Ive got a tandy sensation that im looking to upgrade. It has a overdrive socket meant for upgrade cpus. Ive read up and it seems I need a cpu that is ODP compatable. It seems that interposers for amd 5x86 cpus included the odp.

That all being said, can someone confirm that I can use such a cpu in this thing? id like to use something other than the expensive intel dx4odp100

Thanks

A fixer of things. I also broke those things.

Reply 1 of 9, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

5x86 can be used to upgrade any 486 socket, but a VRM will be required. Most of the VRM modules I have seen allow you to set the pinout for either ODP or ODPR configurations.
Is the DX4 overdrive really so expensive these days?

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 2 of 9, by goodtofufriday

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Anonymous Coward wrote:

5x86 can be used to upgrade any 486 socket, but a VRM will be required. Most of the VRM modules I have seen allow you to set the pinout for either ODP or ODPR configurations.
Is the DX4 overdrive really so expensive these days?

Average price is between 60 and 100 USD.

Would a 5x86 that has a built in vrm with a smd package be sufficient?

Reply 3 of 9, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It should be, but I would double check the jumpers just to be sure it does what you want. I am pretty sure that the somewhat common evergreen chips are what you want.

Reply 4 of 9, by goodtofufriday

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Anonymous Coward wrote:

It should be, but I would double check the jumpers just to be sure it does what you want. I am pretty sure that the somewhat common evergreen chips are what you want.

Thanks very much for the information! From all the info i found this is what i found this is what i figured but couldnt find anywhere tgat confirmed the odp question.

Reply 5 of 9, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I believe ODP is also known as 487SX pinout, if you happen to see mention of that in any documentation.

Reply 7 of 9, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I am pretty sure at least some of the evergreens do have the ODP pin.

http://ec1.images-amazon.com/media/i3d/01/A/m … AL000017863.pdf

This manual specifically mentions the 169 pin overdrive socket. Did you set the jumper accordingly?

Also, try setting the multiplier to 3X. Some older BIOSes don't allow operation in 4X mode. This is a problem especially on machines with OEM BIOSes.

Reply 8 of 9, by goodtofufriday

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Anonymous Coward wrote:
I am pretty sure at least some of the evergreens do have the ODP pin. […]
Show full quote

I am pretty sure at least some of the evergreens do have the ODP pin.

http://ec1.images-amazon.com/media/i3d/01/A/m … AL000017863.pdf

This manual specifically mentions the 169 pin overdrive socket. Did you set the jumper accordingly?

Also, try setting the multiplier to 3X. Some older BIOSes don't allow operation in 4X mode. This is a problem especially on machines with OEM BIOSes.

Thanks for all your help. I realized in my infinite wisdom I installed the cpu incorrectly. The side of the socket where pin 169 dictates where pin 1 is. Now I just need to find a fan to place on this evergreen and I can get dos installed finally.

Reply 9 of 9, by bristlehog

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It can function without a fan unless WB mode is turned on - then it becomes just too hot.

Hardware comparisons and game system requirements: https://technical.city