VOGONS

First post, by jheronimus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi, all

I'm looking to buy a motherboard for an AMD 5x86+VLB configuration. This is going to be my first 486 build, and there are so many different chipsets and kinds of motherboards so I'm a bit worried I might overlook something.

The motherboard I am about to buy is Wintech (?) mv035 rev. C. Here is a manual and some extra info.

The only seller's photo:

PIC_0006_zpse1stplmt.jpg

I like the fact that it uses a coin battery, has OPTI chipset and doesn't mix VLB with PCI. However, I have some questions:

1) Does it support 5x86? The first link mentions "AMD DX5" and jumper settings for 3v and writeback cache. The second link actually mentions 5x86. However, in the first manual 3.45v is listed only for "MV035 and MV035 rev. F", which implies that all other revisions only support 3v and 5v?
2) I'm a bit buffled by the memory configuration section. Is it true I can't use 3x4MB in FPM modules? Or 3x8MB FPM?
3) Is there any way to know if it supports EDO memory? I know it's unlikely for 486, but still.
4) What's your general opinion on this motherboard?

MR BIOS catalog
Unicore catalog

Reply 1 of 12, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Looks like a nice board. I wouldn't worry so much about 5x86 support, WB and EDO memory. It might work, but might not. Just use an IntelDX4 with WT and two sticks of 72 pin.

If you do want support for the latest and greatest I would lean more towards a pure PCI motherboard.

So yea, if the price is ok, I would get it. Looks like a decent board.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 2 of 12, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Most of my VLB boards have on board IDE/Floppy connectors. It's worth considering if you don't already have an i/o card (although they are plentiful and usually cheap)

See my graphics card database at www.gpuzoo.com
Constantly being worked on. Feel free to message me with any corrections or details of cards you would like me to research and add.

Reply 3 of 12, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There's a high risk it won't support 586 cpus. As a matter of fact I'm not even sure that chipset supports WB cache... To make sure it does, look for UMC or SiS chipset board from larger OEMs.

Reply 4 of 12, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

AMD DX5 is the same as 5x86

DX5-P75 is 5x86-133

See my graphics card database at www.gpuzoo.com
Constantly being worked on. Feel free to message me with any corrections or details of cards you would like me to research and add.

Reply 5 of 12, by Anonymous Freak

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

As for memory, it is almost certain that you use either four 30-pin SIMMs or one, two, or three 72-pin SIMMs. I can nearly guarantee it won't work with mixed SIMMs, in any variety, or fewer than four 30-pin SIMMs. Further, it appears that only 72-pin slots 1 and 2 support double-sided memory, so if your SIMMs are all double-sides, you can only use those two slots, not slot 3.

Edit: Re-reading that chart, that's thoroughly confusing. I guess it DOES allow mix-and-match 30-pin and 72-pin! And that it only supports a 72-pin SIMM in slot 3 if you ALSO have an equal capacity of RAM in the 30-pin SIMM slots.

Last edited by Anonymous Freak on 2016-10-18, 06:56. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 6 of 12, by jheronimus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
debs3759 wrote:

Most of my VLB boards have on board IDE/Floppy connectors. It's worth considering if you don't already have an i/o card (although they are plentiful and usually cheap)

Thanks, but I already got a VLB I/O and a Cirrus Logic 5428 video card)

MR BIOS catalog
Unicore catalog

Reply 7 of 12, by Phreeze

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

i have a 486 board with 4 simms and 1 72pin installed, works great.

486 boards with onboard IDE connectors are not as common as boards with an IO Card.

What should this board cost ? I usually buy 486 mainboards WITH Ram and WITH a cpu for 15eur

ArGUS Parts list: http://bit.ly/2Ddf89V

Reply 8 of 12, by jheronimus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Phreeze wrote:

i have a 486 board with 4 simms and 1 72pin installed, works great.

486 boards with onboard IDE connectors are not as common as boards with an IO Card.

What should this board cost ? I usually buy 486 mainboards WITH Ram and WITH a cpu for 15eur

Around 15 EUR with cache, but no RAM/CPU. This seems to be a common price for 486 motherboards in my area with barrel batteries — I'm willing to pay a bit extra for not having to deal with it. Also, I have everything I need except for motherboard itself.

MR BIOS catalog
Unicore catalog

Reply 9 of 12, by Daviana

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Replacing a barrel battery with a cr2032 socket is fairy easy if the battery hasn't corroded the board, it's kind of fun if you like to solder.

I had a 486 board with both 72 and 30 pin simm sockets, it would use memory from both at the same time but it greatly reduced performance, it was better to use one type of the other.

Which video card are you planning to use? I've always wanted to get a 486 board with PCI to test out more video card but never found one for a reasonable price, not sure if you get much performance increase using a PCI card on a 486.. I end up using whichever adapter has the cleanest image on the LCD.

I say buy something and have some fun if it's within your means. 😀

Reply 10 of 12, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Daviana wrote:
Replacing a barrel battery with a cr2032 socket is fairy easy if the battery hasn't corroded the board, it's kind of fun if you […]
Show full quote

Replacing a barrel battery with a cr2032 socket is fairy easy if the battery hasn't corroded the board, it's kind of fun if you like to solder.

I had a 486 board with both 72 and 30 pin simm sockets, it would use memory from both at the same time but it greatly reduced performance, it was better to use one type of the other.

Which video card are you planning to use? I've always wanted to get a 486 board with PCI to test out more video card but never found one for a reasonable price, not sure if you get much performance increase using a PCI card on a 486.. I end up using whichever adapter has the cleanest image on the LCD.

I say buy something and have some fun if it's within your means. 😀

@jheronimus make sure you clip the charging diode near the battery holes (usually silk-screened D2) if you plan to use a CR2032. All boards provide 4.5 to 5v charging current trough there ( I found out the hard way). You could use a 3.6v coin cell rechargeable battery that supports that charging current (LIR2032 or LIR2450 if memory serves) instead of the CR2032 and leave said diode alone.

Reply 11 of 12, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Most motherboards from that era also had an external battery connector to connect non chargeable batteries, in the event that the barrel battery failed.
Here is a site that provides some alternatives and tips: http://pc-restorer.com/replacing-cmos-batteries-in-old-pcs/.

Reply 12 of 12, by FGB

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kanecvr wrote:

There's a high risk it won't support 586 cpus. As a matter of fact I'm not even sure that chipset supports WB cache... To make sure it does, look for UMC or SiS chipset board from larger OEMs.

Regarding the chipset: This board uses the well known OPTi 895 chipset, for my taste the best chipset for a decent VLB built (Have it on a Shuttle HOT-419 motherboard - runs like a charm with any CPU I put in its zif socket).
The chipset supports WB caching schemes for both L1 and L2 but of course we're talking the L1 caching scheme here.
But I don't know if this (generic looking) board has WB implemented into BIOS. I think the OP has to try out.

www.AmoRetro.de Visit my huge hardware gallery with many historic items from 16MHz 286 to 1000MHz Slot A. Includes more than 80 soundcards and a growing Wavetable Recording section with more than 300 recordings.