VOGONS

First post, by sirlemonhead

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hey,

So I decided to pick up one of these drives. It's a Matshita drive and I have it on my Windows 10 x64 machine with a PCIe sata controller with a sata->ide adapter.

Works well, well..more or less. The eject button on the drive won't work when I'm in Windows as I hear since Vista this has been an issue where the OS 'locks' the drive. Running EjectMedia from here: http://www.uwe-sieber.de/drivetools_e.html fixed that though! A simple "ejectmedia a:" from a command prompt will eject the disk.

I only want this drive for reading and maybe writing 1.44 standard disks, and I can read and write to these seemingly OK so far.

What doesn't work is WinImage. Trying to read the contents of a 1.44 disk results in an Error popup box "Disk error n'65535 on track 0, head 0" - does WinImage support doing this? Writing IMA/IMG files won't work either.

Also, how do these drives work on a hardware level? is there a normal type of head that moves back and forth? I know we shouldn't use normal 3.5" standard floppy drive cleaning disks on these - do these drives need to be cleaned? How do we do this? Can we open it up and use IPA on the heads?

Reply 1 of 5, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'm sorry to not be of more use to you, but in WinXP, with the help of WinImage, I did get full support for 2.88MB floppies and its drive.
I have no idea about how WinImage behaves in newer versions of Windows with odd formats.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 2 of 5, by sirlemonhead

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks, that is good to know! 😀 It's nice to have the drive in my main modern PC but maybe I'll move it to another older machine... or get a second drive 😀

Reply 3 of 5, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Have you perhaps managed to fix the issue by now?

Btw, I also found some sites where someone mentions the use of a SATA adapter and needing the one with the red PCB and not the green one.
I'd say chances are the fix has more to do with the interface chips and less with the color of the PCB.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 5 of 5, by sirlemonhead

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi,

My Sata adapter is an enclosed piece of plastic, so I've no idea what colour the PCB actually is inside. It came with one of my old motherboards... an Abit Nforce board perhaps? Or possibly the Asrock Dual sata board I got after that..

I've since moved the drive temporarily to a win95 machine to image some troublesome disks and have no problems there with WinImage imaging the disks.