VOGONS

First post, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hello fellow retro enthusiasts. I seem to have a bit of a problem deciding witch SB16 card I should use in my 386 build. The choice is between a CT2940 and a CT2230.

The 2230 comes with a ASP chip, but I have no ideea what that does exactly and what the advantages of having that on the board really are. Is it used all the time or is it only used in games that support it? If so, are there any 386 games that support the ASP chip?

ct2230.jpg
Filename
ct2230.jpg
File size
345.18 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

On the other hand, the 2940 has a proper IDE interface witch I might be forced to use for CD-ROM, since I'm not sure the cable I'm using for the HDD can physically reach the CD-ROM drive as well. I don't know much about the 2940, but it looks like a newer / cheaper version of the SB-16.

ct2940.jpg
Filename
ct2940.jpg
File size
441.53 KiB
Views
File license

The 2230 has proprietary CD-ROM interfaces and I don't have any of those drives (and don't really want to get one since I hate proprietary crap).

I also plan to use my SC55mk2 with the machine - does any of the cards suffer from the hanging note bug?

Another question for sound card connoisseurs - witch one of the two sounds better?

Reply 1 of 48, by James-F

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The CT2230 has the single-cycle DMA bug where it will crack and pop with older games that use this method to generate sound...386 you say.
The CT2940 does not have an OPL3 unless you are extremely lucky to find a version with a YMF289 (highly unlikely), and it has the hanging note bug,

Have a look:
Sound Blaster 16 Bugs and Deficiencies Summary

I know I am a fun destroyer but I think people should know what they get when they buy a SB16. 😎

You want a single card that does it all... Audician 32 on Ebay.

my important / useful posts are here

Reply 2 of 48, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
James-F wrote:
The CT2230 has the single-cycle DMA bug where it will crack and pop with older games that use this method to generate sound...38 […]
Show full quote

The CT2230 has the single-cycle DMA bug where it will crack and pop with older games that use this method to generate sound...386 you say.
The CT2940 does not have an OPL3 unless you are extremely lucky to find a version with a YMF289 (highly unlikely), and it has the hanging note bug,

Have a look:
Sound Blaster 16 Bugs and Deficiencies Summary

I know I am a fun destroyer but I think people should know what they buy. 😎

Well, I spent 2$ on the 2940 and got the 2230 for free a long time ago so money isn't really a factor. I'm also getting a CT2950 and a CT2290 in a few weeks. NThe 2950 has DSP and an IDE interface. The 2290 seems to lack ASP / DSP but it also has an IDE interface. What about one of them?

sc.jpg
Filename
sc.jpg
File size
2.37 MiB
Views
File license
creative_labs_sound_blaster_16_ide_ct2290.jpg
Filename
creative_labs_sound_blaster_16_ide_ct2290.jpg
File size
469.38 KiB
Views
File license
ct2950davanti.gif
Filename
ct2950davanti.gif
File size
2.96 MiB
Views
File license

Reply 3 of 48, by James-F

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well if it must be a SB16, the CT2230 or CT2290 considered to be the best of the bunch.
No known games use the ASP/CSP chip hence its absence in most models.

Reply 4 of 48, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
James-F wrote:

Well if it must be a SB16, the CT2230 or CT2290 considered to be the best of the bunch.

I see. Then I'll stick to the 2230 until the 2290 gets here. Thanks for the advice!

I would have used an SBPRO but I lost my CT1600 and my CT2600 is in my 286 machine and that's where it will stay.

Reply 5 of 48, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
James-F wrote:

TFX supports CSP - I guess this is the only game that supports it 😐

Requests are also possible... /msg kixs

Reply 6 of 48, by James-F

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Now look what you made me do... 😀

SBPro + SB16.jpg
Filename
SBPro + SB16.jpg
File size
612.06 KiB
Views
File license

SBPro2 = A220 I7 D1
SB16 = A240 I5 D0 H5 P330.

Last edited by James-F on 2016-10-21, 17:43. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 7 of 48, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
James-F wrote:
Now look what you made me do. :happy: […]
Show full quote

Now look what you made me do. 😀

SBPro + SB16.jpg

SBPro2 = A220 I7 D1
SB16 = A240 I5 D0 H5 P330.

You need a couple more cards before you break Cloudschatze' record!

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 8 of 48, by James-F

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It works really nice actually!
I can freely choose between the two and combine the the best from both.

No record breaking for me, I only have 3 ISA slots.

Reply 9 of 48, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
kanecvr wrote:
ct2940.jpg

Is this an actual picture of the card you're getting, or a stock pic? Because if this is the actual 2940 you bought, congratulations. It is one of the rare ones that has a real OPL3 (see the little square YMF289 chip, and its DAC YM513 nearby). I have one of those (with YM289) and a 2290 too. They both sound good, with the 2290 having a slight edge on the 2940 IMHO.

Last edited by stamasd on 2016-10-21, 13:38. Edited 1 time in total.

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O

Reply 10 of 48, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
James-F wrote:

It works really nice actually!
I can freely choose between the two and combine the the best from both.

No record breaking for me, I only have 3 ISA slots.

You can always use a ISA riser to get more ISA slots. C'mon, you can do it. 😀

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O

Reply 11 of 48, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
stamasd wrote:
kanecvr wrote:
The attachment ct2940.jpg is no longer available

Is this an actual picture of the card you're getting, or a stock pic? Because if this is the actual 2940 you bought, congratulations. It is one of the rare ones that has a real OPL3 (see the little square YMF289 chip, and its DAC YM513 nearby). I have one of those (with YM289) and a 2290 too. They both sound good, with the 2290 having a slight edge on the 2940 IMHO.

That's a stock picture. My cards are in the first picture in that post. Here:

CT2290.jpg
Filename
CT2290.jpg
File size
319.69 KiB
Views
File license
CT2950.jpg
Filename
CT2950.jpg
File size
205.07 KiB
Views
File license

Looking over them the 2950 looks identical to the one in the stock pic. The're extremely dirty so I can't see if it has the YMF chip tough...

Reply 13 of 48, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
kanecvr wrote:
That's a stock picture. My cards are in the first picture in that post. Here: […]
Show full quote
stamasd wrote:
kanecvr wrote:
ct2940.jpg

That's a stock picture. My cards are in the first picture in that post. Here:

CT2290.jpg
CT2950.jpg

Looking over them the 2950 looks identical to the one in the stock pic. The're extremely dirty so I can't see if it has the YMF chip tough...

I was talking about the 2940 you said you got (first post of this thread), not the 2950. That's a different card, and doesn't have OPL3.

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O

Reply 14 of 48, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
gdjacobs wrote:

My take:
YMF262, CT1747 > YMF289 > CT1978, Vibra integrated chipsets with CQM

My take: YMF262=YMF289. I'm blessed with ears that aren't over-sensitive. :p

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O

Reply 15 of 48, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The one in the picture has a YMF289 low power OPL chip. I agree, the regular and low power cores are extremely similar in terms of sound output, 99.9% perhaps. Theoretically there's a difference, but you have to process the hell out of your audio to actually notice, so in regular use they're effectively the same.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 16 of 48, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
stamasd wrote:

I was talking about the 2940 you said you got (first post of this thread), not the 2950. That's a different card, and doesn't have OPL3.

Oh that - here's a pic of the actual card:

IMG_20161021_221650.jpg
Filename
IMG_20161021_221650.jpg
File size
3.64 MiB
Views
File license

Yes, it does have an OPL3 chip.. huh... My problem with it is the dent in the 46mhz oscillator. The card seems to work fine tough.

gdjacobs wrote:

I agree, the regular and low power cores are extremely similar in terms of sound output, 99.9% perhaps.

Wat? Forgive my ignorance, but what are you guys talking about?

Reply 18 of 48, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
kanecvr wrote:
Oh that - here's a pic of the actual card: […]
Show full quote
stamasd wrote:

Oh that - here's a pic of the actual card:

IMG_20161021_221650.jpg

Yes, it does have an OPL3 chip.. huh... My problem with it is the dent in the 46mhz oscillator. The card seems to work fine tough.

Wow, nice find. I was astonished to find last year that I had a CT2940 with OPL3 (just like yours) for years and never realized that it was one of the better SB16 models out there. Basically, if you have no intention of using external MIDI devices or waveblaster boards (due to MIDI hanging note bugs), this should be a great card.

Every single 2940 I've seen sold on eBay has been the other type with the larger squarish chip in the empty spot above the main chip. The OPL3 versions really are quite hard to find. I guess what makes them unique is that they are one of the last Soundblasters to actually have a real OPL3 chip installed. Only a couple of AWE32 cards have them, and pretty much anything else from Creative is either older than the CT2940 or uses CQM (which apparently sounds bad... I haven't actually listened to one).

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.