VOGONS

Cooling Needed for 486 DX2 66Mhz

Topic actions

First post, by rick12373

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Do I need a heat sink or a heat sink/fan for a 486 DX2 66Mhz? I did not think it was necessary. But I was experiencing a weird issue where the mouse was not working any more. The machine had been on for a while. When I touched the CPU it was quite hot. I left the machine off for a while and turned back on and the mouse was working again. Weird.

486 DX4-100 (overdrive)
16MB 72-pin SIMM RAM (2x8MB)
1MB Diamond Speedstar Pro VLB video card
SB 16 Value CT2770
AOpen VI15G Socket 3 Motherboard
HDD/FDD VLB controller card

Reply 1 of 37, by Standard Def Steve

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It's not required, but probably recommended. I ran a DX2-66 without a cooler from 93-97.

94 MHz NEC VR4300 | SGI Reality CoPro | 8MB RDRAM | Each game gets its own SSD - nooice!

Reply 2 of 37, by rick12373

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Standard Def Steve wrote:

It's not required, but probably recommended. I ran a DX2-66 without a cooler from 93-97.

Would you recommend just a heat sink or a sink/fan combo?

486 DX4-100 (overdrive)
SB 16 Value CT2770

Reply 3 of 37, by Standard Def Steve

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

A passive heatsink would be more than enough. My DX2-66 ran completely naked for years.

94 MHz NEC VR4300 | SGI Reality CoPro | 8MB RDRAM | Each game gets its own SSD - nooice!

Reply 4 of 37, by rick12373

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Standard Def Steve wrote:

A passive heatsink would be more than enough. My DX2-66 ran completely naked for years.

I found one that had a fan anyway, so put that on there. Probably don't need thermal paste in the case I assume?

486 DX4-100 (overdrive)
SB 16 Value CT2770

Reply 5 of 37, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Thermal paste probably isn't necessary, but I'd use it anyway just because there's no reason not to (it's practically free and doesn't make any noise or transmit vibration). My attitude with old hardware (or anything I want to keep for a very long time) is to try to cool it more than I would have in the 90s, because we're asking it to live longer than anyone intended and it's only going to keep getting harder to replace.
It's hard to hurt a CPU but dissipating the localized heat probably makes the motherboard components happier.

Back in those days I had a 5V DX2/66 with just a small passive heatsink with no paste and the clip arrangement didn't put any real pressure between the pieces. It was hot to the touch but at the time I didn't think much of it. To be fair the motherboard was unstable so if there had been any heat induced crashes I wouldn't have known the difference.

Reply 6 of 37, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

No thermal paste for dx2's though I would recommend at least a heatsink.
I have a passive cooled dx2-66 from an IBM PC-300. Ok solution.
Preferable I go for heatsink and fan personally.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 7 of 37, by noshutdown

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

if its a 5v model then it does, usually generating more than 6 watt which is twice of the amd5x86-133.
it burnt my finger when i tried to feel it, and even a 3 watt amd5x86-133 with active fan still feels a bit hot although safe.

Reply 8 of 37, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

depending on how snug the heatsink fits, the thermal compound could at least ensure good contact. I use it for just this reason--my clip-on HSF jiggles pretty loosely without it.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 9 of 37, by Brickpad

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
rick12373 wrote:

Do I need a heat sink or a heat sink/fan for a 486 DX2 66Mhz? I did not think it was necessary. But I was experiencing a weird issue where the mouse was not working any more. The machine had been on for a while. When I touched the CPU it was quite hot. I left the machine off for a while and turned back on and the mouse was working again. Weird.

Not entirely weird. My Cyrix DX2-50 ran without a heatsink and I could see a notable performance hit when playing Wolf3d (very choppy framerate). Once I installed a heatsink and fan the system ran very happily. Like everyone has said here, it wouldn't hurt to add a fan, and me being quite OCD about cooling (and wire management), I would suggest the same.

Reply 11 of 37, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Just slap on a passive chipset cooler with a thermal adhesive pad and you are good to go, the cheap stuff works well and nothing too fancy.

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 12 of 37, by Cyberdyne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Rule of thumb:

Minimum:
3.3V Clean
5V Passive

Normal:
3.3V Passive
5V Active

Safe:
All Active with paste!

Lower life or reliability, if you use 5V 66MHz cpu without cooling!

I am aroused about any X86 motherboard that has full functional ISA slot. I think i have problem. Not really into that original (Turbo) XT,286,386 and CGA/EGA stuff. So just a DOS nut.
PS. If I upload RAR, it is a 16-bit DOS RAR Version 2.50.

Reply 13 of 37, by Scali

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
rick12373 wrote:

Do I need a heat sink or a heat sink/fan for a 486 DX2 66Mhz? I did not think it was necessary.

For early Intels, you only need a heatsink.
For early AMDs, you also need a fan.
It actually says that on some of the chips:
dx2fo1.jpg?w=510&h=483.

For later CPUs (3.3v models), you may be able to get away without even a heatsink.

http://scalibq.wordpress.com/just-keeping-it- … ro-programming/

Reply 14 of 37, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Due to their age, I even installed a heatsink and fan on my 486DX 33 MHz (though not required). However, a heatsink is probably enough to keep it cool.

If you want to ensure stability and a longer life for your 486DX2 66Mhz, I would strongly suggest a heatsink & fan.

Reply 15 of 37, by Scali

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The AMD chips run hotter because they basically binned them lower than Intel to get the prices down.
Basically what Intel binned as a 486DX2-50 + heatsink was binned as a 486DX2-66 + heatsink/fan for AMD.
Which makes sense I guess... the difference in yield made it cheaper to just add a fan.

The Am386DX-40 is probably a similar story. I bet the later Intel 386DX-33 chips could easily clock to 40 MHz as well. But it would cut into 486 sales, so Intel wasn't interested.

http://scalibq.wordpress.com/just-keeping-it- … ro-programming/

Reply 16 of 37, by tayyare

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just to give you an idea, my first 486 in 1994 was a Cyrix DX 33, and during that time period for these CPU's heatsink/fan was not even being considered. When I upgrade to an AMD DX4 100 in 1995, it was already common practice to put both a heatsink and fan on top of every 486 CPU. My latest 486 class CPU was a Cyrix 5x86 100, in early 1996, and it came only with a (nice and green) passive heatsink (I also added a small fan on top of it because I was forcing it to 120 MHz).

As a side note, my tiny little soldered-on-board Intel 386SX-16 in 1992 was running so hot, any touch on it, a couple of seconds long, would definitely result in a blistered finger. During that time, nobody was even talking about CPU cooling. It still works today, in spite of the fact that for the first 2 years of its life, it is mostly used with FORTRAN number crunching jobs, numerical analysis programs that runs several days without break.

All things aside, as all the other people already said before me, it is just common sense to use heatsink, fan and thermal paste for any 486 CPU, because it reduces the heat fatigue on the CPU and it cost next to nothing.

GA-6VTXE PIII 1.4+512MB
Geforce4 Ti 4200 64MB
Diamond Monster 3D 12MB SLI
SB AWE64 PNP+32MB
120GB IDE Samsung/80GB IDE Seagate/146GB SCSI Compaq/73GB SCSI IBM
Adaptec AHA29160
3com 3C905B-TX
Gotek+CF Reader
MSDOS 6.22+Win 3.11/95 OSR2.1/98SE/ME/2000

Reply 17 of 37, by einr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

For what it's worth, I've been using a totally bare DX2/66 -- no heatsink, no fan -- in a Compaq Presario CDS 510 (exactly like the system in your signature, but came stock with an SX33) for probably a year now with no issues whatsoever. As you know, it's pretty airy around the motherboard in the back of this system so I'm not too worried.

This is an Intel chip which I got brand new from eBay. I forget when it was made but well into the 00's at least, so I assume with the benefit of modern production it's less likely to be heat sensitive than early models.

A DX2/66 though is the very last processor I would run without a heatsink. As soon as you're into DX2/80 or DX4/100 territory it's heatsink at least and probably a small fan, too.

Reply 18 of 37, by FFXIhealer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I remember back in college a friend of mine had a K6-2 processor with just a small fan on it, but the inside of his case was getting pretty hot. So I remember him and I, we found some styrofoam and made a conduit, then taped it to the front fan housing so that all the cold air from outside the case would be funneled directly onto the CPU fan/heatsink. His CPU temps dropped over 10 degrees F.

292dps.png
3smzsb.png
0fvil8.png
lhbar1.png

Reply 19 of 37, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Scali wrote:

The Am386DX-40 is probably a similar story. I bet the later Intel 386DX-33 chips could easily clock to 40 MHz as well. But it would cut into 486 sales, so Intel wasn't interested.

The Am386DX-40 gets barely warm (as opposed to a 486DLC). AFAIK, it differs from the intel ones by using a static CMOS design.
I'm not 100% sure, but I think it can also safer underclocked because of this (higher stability).
https://en.wikichip.org/wiki/amd/am386

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//