VOGONS

First post, by bbhaag

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm just looking for a solid IDE/PATA cd-rom drive for my DEC 486 desktop. So far I've burned through two of them in less than a year and it's getting a little frustrating. What's the go to brand that everyone uses?

Reply 1 of 29, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I suppose LG and Pioneer would be at the top, with Lite-On towards the bottom.

Really, there's no reason you couldn't just stick a brand-new IDE DVD+RW drive in your 486. It might get noisy when it spins up, but there are ways to suppress that if it annoys you.

Reply 2 of 29, by bbhaag

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ok thanks for the suggestions. I will look for those. It's not really the noise that bothers me though. I just want them to work reliably for longer than 3 months.

Is there a recommended max speed that Dos6.22/Win3.11 can handle? I see a lot 50x readers on Ebay for cheap. Would those work?

Reply 4 of 29, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Literally any IDE CD drive should work. The newer the better as far as reliability and speed are concerned. I second Jorpho's suggestions and would add Mitsumi since the old 16x Mitsumi CD-ROM drive iv had since new and the 2x Goodwill drive both work flawlessly.

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 5 of 29, by Cyberdyne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well all my 486 to Pentium III dos machines use mostly latest IDE Lite-on DVD Dual Layer burners. (They were most common.) And i have never looked back. Ok i have few DVD-ROM and CD-Burners also, with different manufactures.

I am aroused about any X86 motherboard that has full functional ISA slot. I think i have problem. Not really into that original (Turbo) XT,286,386 and CGA/EGA stuff. So just a DOS nut.
PS. If I upload RAR, it is a 16-bit DOS RAR Version 2.50.

Reply 6 of 29, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If you get a DVD-RW drive, you can read DVD-RW's in your DOS machine, as long as they are mastered with an ISO9660 filesystem (i.e. not UDF). So that's something!

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 9 of 29, by Cyberdyne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I think the problem is in drives, not the speed, you can mash together a 286 and a fast DVD reader with no problems at all.

I am aroused about any X86 motherboard that has full functional ISA slot. I think i have problem. Not really into that original (Turbo) XT,286,386 and CGA/EGA stuff. So just a DOS nut.
PS. If I upload RAR, it is a 16-bit DOS RAR Version 2.50.

Reply 10 of 29, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
bbhaag wrote:

Ok thanks for the suggestions. I will look for those. It's not really the noise that bothers me though. I just want them to work reliably for longer than 3 months.

If your system consistently burns through CD drives every three months, then there might be something wrong with your system (overvoltage?).

Is there a recommended max speed that Dos6.22/Win3.11 can handle? I see a lot 50x readers on Ebay for cheap. Would those work?

The limit is in the ATA bus, not the drive itself. Most drives are downwards compatible with slower bus speeds.

Reply 11 of 29, by tayyare

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have a Pentium MMX machine that runs MS-DOS 6.22/Windows 3.11 and windows 95 in multiboot configuration. I had the problem "Creative CD Player / MS CD player is not playing music CDs" with two different modern DVD drives, so I downgraded it to a CD RW only drive, which solved the problem. I still don't know what the real problem is.

GA-6VTXE PIII 1.4+512MB
Geforce4 Ti 4200 64MB
Diamond Monster 3D 12MB SLI
SB AWE64 PNP+32MB
120GB IDE Samsung/80GB IDE Seagate/146GB SCSI Compaq/73GB SCSI IBM
Adaptec AHA29160
3com 3C905B-TX
Gotek+CF Reader
MSDOS 6.22+Win 3.11/95 OSR2.1/98SE/ME/2000

Reply 12 of 29, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You can try to find a Plextor drive, I had one my dad bought new in 1996 that lasted up to 2012 it was a 2x CD-RW 🤣

Reply 14 of 29, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

What are you using the drive for? playing games, Audio or just installing?
My 486 got a new (or 2nd hand) drive about once a year back in the day but that's settled down now with large hard drives, where you can no-cd games, network, to copy files or entire game install form other pc's. The only thing I haven't found a solution for is games that use CD Audio for music.

That said Plextor was the big name back then, but any IDE drive will be getting on a bit now. I'd get whatever is a good price, faster drives aren't going to help much in a 486, in fact you have to wait for the stupid thing to spin up and down.

Reply 15 of 29, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I give + for LG, LiteON, Samsung and Sony drives. Never had issues with both DVD and CD drives from those makers.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 16 of 29, by SRQ

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Most of my DVD drives are so late that they neglect CD sound out, so I tend to just slap a random CD drive from 199X into stuff.
In essense: whatever looks physically workable, test cd sound and speed. Anything PATA should work. What is best? Depends on wehther you want features or proper dating.

Reply 17 of 29, by bbhaag

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for all the suggestions. I bought a couple of cheap Norcent drives off ebay that the seller claims to be new. Hopefully these last a little longer than the last two. I'm kinda curious about yawetaG mentioning overvoltage. I'm still using the original Liteon psu how would I go about testing for overvoltage?

Reply 18 of 29, by SRQ

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
tayyare wrote:

I have a Pentium MMX machine that runs MS-DOS 6.22/Windows 3.11 and windows 95 in multiboot configuration. I had the problem "Creative CD Player / MS CD player is not playing music CDs" with two different modern DVD drives, so I downgraded it to a CD RW only drive, which solved the problem. I still don't know what the real problem is.

I have this with newer drives. I think the problem is simply past 2002 or so new drives dropped this because Windows 2000 and XP both automatically set for digital audio, bypassing that cable to the sound card. Not like anybody was using those new drivers with Windows 3, right? 🤣

Reply 19 of 29, by tayyare

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
SRQ wrote:
tayyare wrote:

I have this with newer drives. I think the problem is simply past 2002 or so new drives dropped this because Windows 2000 and XP both automatically set for digital audio, bypassing that cable to the sound card. Not like anybody was using those new drivers with Windows 3, right? 🤣

Yeah, right... 🤣

GA-6VTXE PIII 1.4+512MB
Geforce4 Ti 4200 64MB
Diamond Monster 3D 12MB SLI
SB AWE64 PNP+32MB
120GB IDE Samsung/80GB IDE Seagate/146GB SCSI Compaq/73GB SCSI IBM
Adaptec AHA29160
3com 3C905B-TX
Gotek+CF Reader
MSDOS 6.22+Win 3.11/95 OSR2.1/98SE/ME/2000