VOGONS

First post, by twood1130

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I am trying to build a 486 98se system, it's mostly complete, but I was hoping to upgrade the graphics a bit.

Since it is a 486, from what I've read so far, I cannot use DX8 based cards, which lead me to choose a rage 128, or TNT(1/2) based card. However the ebay prices for these cards are ridiculously high for such parts. 40 dollars for a 2001 card seems ridiculous.

Is there some reason for these prices, or am I looking in the wrong place?

Currently I have a Mach64 CT card installed, which you can watch draw frames at times.

On hand, I have a GeForce mx5200 pci, which may be too new.

Quick specs:
Am 5x86 133mhz
32 megs edo ram
256kb L2 cache

Any suggestions would be welcome.

Reply 1 of 19, by Trank

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Usually the Nvidia MX cards are cheap. MX4000. Or maybe a MX420 or 440. None of them are DX8. The S3 Virge PCI cards can sometimes be found cheap and those are more time appropriate.

Also i agree. Right now, it seems that prices on a lot of older hardware whether its PC related or console gaming seems to be rising. Very annoying.

Reply 2 of 19, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Trank wrote:

Usually the Nvidia MX cards are cheap. MX4000. Or maybe a MX420 or 440. None of them are DX8. The S3 Virge PCI cards can sometimes be found cheap and those are more time appropriate.

Also i agree. Right now, it seems that prices on a lot of older hardware whether its PC related or console gaming seems to be rising. Very annoying.

The drivers however require at least a Pentium for the Geforce4 MX series

Reply 3 of 19, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

I just got a tnt2 32mb pci card for like 7$ shipped on ebay.
Keep your eye out and search by part numbers, your find a card for cheap.

That's being said I'd by a Virge

Reply 5 of 19, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Or Trio64. Or a Cirrus Logic GD5440/5460. Or late trident cards (9440). Or an ALG2302. Here, this might help:

DOS PCI Video Card Compatibility and Benchmark tests

Reply 6 of 19, by twood1130

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

This build is more to demonstrate the capabilities of a vintage system. I am trying to remove certain barriers from it to make it perform more to the motherboards limitations, and not some of the other things attached to it. To this end I am going to add a CF to IDE adapter with a 4 gig 30 mb/s card. 64 more megs of ram, and I was hoping for a somewhat newer gpu.

That being said the virge isn't too bad, and I may end up going with that option.

Reply 7 of 19, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
twood1130 wrote:

This build is more to demonstrate the capabilities of a vintage system. I am trying to remove certain barriers from it to make it perform more to the motherboards limitations, and not some of the other things attached to it. To this end I am going to add a CF to IDE adapter with a 4 gig 30 mb/s card. 64 more megs of ram, and I was hoping for a somewhat newer gpu.

That being said the virge isn't too bad, and I may end up going with that option.

Then you should look for a Voodoo 2 card to go with the virge. It's the best performing 3d card on the platform. Glide games run faster then software games on a 486. Banshee cards will only run on late 1996 486 boards, and to my knowledge the same applies to TNT2 PCI cards. Also, nvidia and ATi cards require MMX capabilities for 3D (as far as I know) unlike 3dfx cards witch will happily run on a 486.

Of course, a v2 is wasted on a 486 since most games will get an average of 25 fps in glide with a V2. Descent and Carmageddon are playable, but GL_quake suffers slowdowns in open areas. It's still playable, but a pentium offers a much better experience.

Reply 8 of 19, by twood1130

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
kanecvr wrote:

Banshee cards will only run on late 1996 486 boards, and to my knowledge the same applies to TNT2 PCI cards. Also, nvidia and ATi cards require MMX capabilities for 3D (as far as I know) unlike 3dfx cards witch will happily run on a 486.

This board has the SIS 496/497 chipset, which I understand to be one of the most capable 486 chipsets.

My first priority is GUI acceleration, and 1024*768 @32-bit color.

What games it can play afterword is all a bonus.

Reply 9 of 19, by Munx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If its mainly for GUI acceleration, you might want to reconsider ATI. PCI Rage cards usually go for 10-15 shipped. DOS game compatibility isn't that great though.

My builds!
The FireStarter 2.0 - The wooden K5
The Underdog - The budget K6
The Voodoo powerhouse - The power-hungry K7
The troll PC - The Socket 423 Pentium 4

Reply 10 of 19, by twood1130

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

A bit of an update,

I attempted to use two different cards, with various results.

A matrox g200 quad gpu card, and the aforementioned fx5200.

Initial setup of the 5200 went well, and did output video in windows. However it will not operate without the older mach 64 installed. Not sure why.

The matrox card is an interesting device, having 4 matrox g200 gpus on the card to drive 4 screens, however it appears to be messing with the memory map, and won't enable due to a lack of memory resources. (memory addresses not ram, I assume. It will also not boot without the older mach64 in place.

Interesting results anyway.

Reply 11 of 19, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

http://www.ebay.com/itm/STB-Systems-Nitro-3D- … Y8AAOSwi0RX1OYp you can still find em for good prices.

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 12 of 19, by Imperious

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I Bought these Yesterday, likely they would be gone by now anyway though. I don't think the seller realised the bottom one was a PCI Banshee card. I hope that is
just dust and not corrosion in the Virge DX memory slots. $45 AUD delivered.

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    Filename
    s-l1600.jpg
    File size
    225.06 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Atari 2600, TI994a, Vic20, c64, ZX Spectrum 128, Amstrad CPC464, Atari 65XE, Commodore Plus/4, Amiga 500
PC's from XT 8088, 486, Pentium MMX, K6, Athlon, P3, P4, 775, to current Ryzen 5600x.

Reply 13 of 19, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
twood1130 wrote:
A bit of an update, […]
Show full quote

A bit of an update,

I attempted to use two different cards, with various results.

A matrox g200 quad gpu card, and the aforementioned fx5200.

Initial setup of the 5200 went well, and did output video in windows. However it will not operate without the older mach 64 installed. Not sure why.

The matrox card is an interesting device, having 4 matrox g200 gpus on the card to drive 4 screens, however it appears to be messing with the memory map, and won't enable due to a lack of memory resources. (memory addresses not ram, I assume. It will also not boot without the older mach64 in place.

Interesting results anyway.

The motherboard will not recognize the G200 and 5200 as video cards - this is why it won't post with them alone.

Reply 14 of 19, by CelGen

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It's almost as if right now there's an emerging market for "retro" (shudders) 90's gaming computers.
I wouldn't doubt there's a forum somewhere almost completely dedicated to the genre. 😉

emot-science.gif "It's science. I ain't gotta explain sh*t" emot-girl.gif

Reply 15 of 19, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Imperious wrote:

I Bought these Yesterday, likely they would be gone by now anyway though. I don't think the seller realised the bottom one was a PCI Banshee card. I hope that is
just dust and not corrosion in the Virge DX memory slots. $45 AUD delivered.

Nice. I've found a lot of really really awesome deals on rare PCI cards, especially Voodoos that way. I got my PCI V5 5500 in a lot of mixed as-is parts for around $40 last year. I replaced one or two SMD caps and it works great. Same with my Quantum 3D Raven PCI (16MB Banshee)... it was hanging out shyly on the edge of one picture in a lot of mixed cards. I almost missed it because I was distracted by the SBPro2 CT1600. Again got that lot for a fraction of its value.

Looking for video cards, without searching for "PCI" seems to be the ticket. With patience, they turn up eventually.

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 18 of 19, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
CelGen wrote:

It's almost as if right now there's an emerging market for "retro" (shudders) 90's gaming computers.
I wouldn't doubt there's a forum somewhere almost completely dedicated to the genre. 😉

What? Are you serious?
If this is true, then we'd better find out where they are and then nuke the entire site! From orbit! 😈

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 19 of 19, by twood1130

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
SRQ wrote:

98SE on a 486? oh god.

I am actually a college student, and I make an effort to rescue old computers from the loading docks before they end up getting recycled. (if they are interesting anyway). I am also part of the cyber security club.

When I found this computer, it had been used as recently as 2008 for some sort of lab equipment. It sported 32 megs of ram, and windows 98, rand a little bogged down, but still booted and operated fine.

I added 64 megs of ram yesterday to improve performance. At startup I now have 50 megs free! Now I am waiting for the CF to IDE adapter. At which point for cyber security club functions we may put linux on it, and see if being really old makes a computer safer.

Another recent find is an 486slc computer(same board as: Alaris Leopard Rev C 486SLC2 (MR-BIOS???)). The power supply is dead, but a cursory glance indicates a few things.

Only 2 out of the 4 30 pin sockets have simms, meaning a max of 8 mb of ram.
A 40-mhz Green Math 4C87SLC FPU
Lots of 9 pin serial ports, and a giant micro-controller card sporting a motorola 68000.
The contents of the hard drive include windows 95. (indicating a 16-bit processor running on windows 95)

How it actually performs will have to wait until I get an ATX to AT converter. However there is a recurring trend of using the wrong OS on campus for these lab computers. I would assume it was for network compatibility.