VOGONS

First post, by Betelgeuse

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hooked up my MT-32 to my AWE64 running Windows 98SE today but I get no sound with the MIDI out device selected. The joystick/midi cable midi out is plugged into midi in on the MT-32, but no sound is produced in either Windows or DOS, swapped connections with no effect. Is my cable defective, got it off eBay? I also tried it with SC-88 with no luck, using UM-ONEmk2 with XP and MT-32 and SC-88 both work fine.

Reply 1 of 8, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Betelgeuse wrote:

Hooked up my MT-32 to my AWE64 running Windows 98SE today but I get no sound with the MIDI out device selected.

Wait, does the AWE64 have got a MPU-401 at all ? Any which model are you using ?

Betelgeuse wrote:

The joystick/midi cable midi out is plugged into midi in on the MT-32

Try the reverse. But only connect one cable to the MIDI-in on your MT-32 until you know it works.
- Some labels on the cables mean "to MIDI out/in" rather than "this is the MIDI out/in cable".

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 5 of 8, by Ariakos

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Betelgeuse wrote:

Perhaps a moderator could move the thread then? Sorry, new to the forum.

They will eventually. And no worries, many have done their own share of posting in the wrong area. Myself included.

Welcome to the board! 😀

Reply 6 of 8, by Panties

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Betelgeuse wrote:

I thought the AWE64 did, it says MIDI below the joystick connector. I also tried an SB16 and got the same result with the different cables plugged in every which way I could think.

Well.. Since you have windows 98,
Start -> Run -> dxdiag
Goto Music Tab
Than select MIDI - AWE (MIDI OUT) <---If im not mistaken..
than click Test Music... let it play..

Observe the UM-ONE mk2... there should be a Red blinking light... indicating it is receiving...... WHICH IS GOOD! 😊
If there is no Red Blinking light, means time for troubleshooting.... 😵

Reply 7 of 8, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Betelgeuse wrote:

I thought the AWE64 did, it says MIDI below the joystick connector. I also tried an SB16 and got the same result with the different cables plugged in every which way I could think.

Yes, the AWE64 does have a UART mode MPU-401 MIDI interface - just be aware that some MT-32 titles will not sound correct, since they require an intelligent (or normal) mode MPU-401 MIDI interface (this can be largely overcome by using SoftMPU).

Also take note that, under "real mode" DOS, you need to change the SET MIDI parameter in your Autoexec.bat file to route the MIDI output to the external port and not to the internal "wavetable" synthesis: SET MIDI=SYNTH:2 MAP:G MODE:0
The first one is the important one.
Under Windows, you need to go into AWE Control Panel and change your MIDI output settings (can't quite recall offhand now where it is - can check tonight when at home).

These cables are usually marked to indicate the outflow of data. As such the MIDI OUT connector of the cable goes into the MIDI IN on the MT-32.
You will see the MT-32 MIDI message light come on if it starts to receive MIDI data.

Reply 8 of 8, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
jesolo wrote:

These cables are usually marked to indicate the outflow of data. As such the MIDI OUT connector of the cable goes into the MIDI IN on the MT-32.

Yup, that's how I thought it should be. Unfortunatelly, it wasn't that case when I did my recordings for SQ3.
Either the cable or my Keyboard had their markings in reverse. That's why I said it.
But perhaps I should have bought a higher quality cable (one with opto insulator, at least)..
So what was I expecting with such a cheapo cable, anyway ? Silly me! 😊

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//