VOGONS

DreamBlaster X1 : a rare card

Topic actions

Reply 40 of 67, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Here is the back of the card. Also attached a recording of Duke 3D intro music.

xRBdQNvh.jpg

Attachments

• Filename
    X2 Duke 3D 1.3 Intro.ogg
    File size
    1.66 MiB
    Downloads
    189 downloads
    File comment
    Duke 3D 1.3 Intro song
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 41 of 67, by hard1k

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Wait. Sorry for my lame question, but where is the ROM?

Fortex, the A3D & XG/OPL3 accelerator (Vortex 2 + YMF744 combo sound card)
AWE64 Legacy
Please have a look at my wishlist (hosted on Amibay)

Reply 42 of 67, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Wow... the X2 looks like a really awesome device. I still don't own any daughterboards. I've gone in the external Roland MIDI device direction up to this point...

I love that soundfonts are loaded via USB. Less messing around on old systems is always good.

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 44 of 67, by hard1k

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Wow... I just can't stop amuzing at the degree of how miniature the electronic devices have become these days!..

AWE64 Legacy

Reply 45 of 67, by Panties

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi,
I love the DreamBlaster X1, bought from Serdaco.
Overall experience, I'm loving it!
I'm excited for the upcoming X2, but I only have 1 retro PC/1 soundcard at home...
Listening to the Duke Nukem Sample.... I cannot wait for the X2 and replace it my current X1... 😊

Reply 47 of 67, by DragonSlayer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've got a Yamaha Audician 32 Plus that this would be perfect for, assuming the price is right.

It's great to see that MIDI daughterboards are still being produced this day and time. They are almost a must for getting the best out of old 90's era games and the old period-correct boards are getting very rare to find these days for a sane amount of money (or even an insane amount of money for that matter).

I use SF2 emulation under DOSBox-X with great success, but it would be really wonderful to have such a terrific option on my old retro gaming machine.

"There are only 10 types of people in the world; those who understand binary, and those who don't."

Reply 51 of 67, by CHiLL72

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Phil beat me to it by posting a photo of the back side of the X2 PCB. Anyway, I put up some new photos on my webpage if anyone is interested.

Waveblaster MIDI boards: https://waveblaster.nl - online now!

Reply 53 of 67, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
dreamblaster wrote:
X2 is plug an play as waveblaster module on your soundcard, no need for any setting. It is preconfigured with a high end dream G […]
Show full quote

X2 is plug an play as waveblaster module on your soundcard, no need for any setting. It is preconfigured with a high end dream General MIDI bank.

USB functions :
- USB-MIDI : plug it in a modern pc and use as midi synth module as well, it will pop up als Dreamblaster X2M (X2 Module) MIDI device
- Upload of soundbanks in dream binary format. X2 has 64 mbyte of flash, 63.5mbyte can be used for soundbanks. High end piano bank planned (working on this).
- Upload of presets : for persistent configuration of various parameters (working on this)

Just to make sure I'm following this correctly - when you say the "Dream binary format", are those the soundbanks that has an extension of *.94b?

Reply 54 of 67, by dreamblaster

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hello,
thanks for you enthousiasm.

Some answers :
Pricing : the features are much more advanced, but it will not be more expensive than X1 ... technological progress !! 😀

Soundbank format : this is the format for the new dream 5000 series chips, it is not compatible with .94b format.
As far as I know the binary files can only be generated with the compilation tools included in this kit : http://www.dream.fr/pdf/Serie5000/Short_Forms … 0-SDK_short.pdf
First of all I will have the truly excellent dream GM bank pre-loaded, and provide it as file.
I am also working with a sound designer (who also has this SDK) to create a great sounding piano bank.
Maybe some more banks coming, I am thinking about a chiptune bank, cannot confirm the direction yet.

Testing Phase \ Early access : I can miss one more X2 prototype, I am looking for a MIDI musician / soundfont expert who lives nearby Oudenburg, Belgium,
who'd like to help testing and provide feedback ?

Visit http://www.serdashop.com for retro sound cards, video converters, ...
DreamBlaster X2, S2, S2P, HDD Clicker, ... many projects !
New X2GS SE & X16GS sound card : https://www.serdashop.com/X2GS-SE ,
Thanks for your support !

Reply 55 of 67, by hard1k

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Any possibility you could cooperate with Eye & I to migrate their great soundfont into the appropriate standard?

AWE64 Legacy

Reply 56 of 67, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Why don't you give me one now? *throws money at the screen* 😁

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O

Reply 57 of 67, by hard1k

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Another question 😀 any possibility that you might consider other colors for the PCB? Black PCB for the S1 2017 will be great enough for me to order another one of those, maybe blue could be given for the X2? 😉 Pretty sure that many SQ2500 owners out there would be more than happy!

AWE64 Legacy

Reply 58 of 67, by dreamblaster

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

colors :
X2 prototype run : green pcb
X2 1st production run : black pcb

Visit http://www.serdashop.com for retro sound cards, video converters, ...
DreamBlaster X2, S2, S2P, HDD Clicker, ... many projects !
New X2GS SE & X16GS sound card : https://www.serdashop.com/X2GS-SE ,
Thanks for your support !

Reply 59 of 67, by hard1k

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Great!:) thanks!

AWE64 Legacy