VOGONS

First post, by bristlehog

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Did you try PX Player? How's the results?

For me some of the drum patches are clearly absent from playback.

Hardware comparisons and game system requirements: https://technical.city

Reply 1 of 5, by bristlehog

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I looked into it and found two separate problems:

1) PRESETS.EXE for DOS is loading patches incorrectly, there are some piano sounds instead of drums. I tried different PRESETS.EXE versions with same result.

This problem can be circumvented by running Windows 3.1, waiting until Windows Multisound driver loads the patches (can be monitored through Proteus 1/XR Front Panel app), then exiting Windows.

2) Even if patches are placed correctly (it can be tested by playing MIDI files with Windows Media Player), some of drum patches are out of place during PX playback. This is not a problem of PX, but of MULTISND.ADV driver - I figured it out by running MIDPAK's setm.exe utility which can utilize MULTISND.ADV. The drum patch problem is still there.

There are four known versions of MULTISND.ADV, one hangs my PC, the other three produce the same poor result.

It's very strange that this ever happens. Miles Design and Turtle Beach engineers couldn't be that stupid to release several versions of drivers and utilities that obviously don't work properly. This is why I ask other Multisound owners to participate, to exclude the probability of something being wrong with my soundcard.

Reply 3 of 5, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I own one. Edit: It was a lucky, lucky find for five bucks at a recycle center. My boss was impressed; she told me "wow, only people with a lot of money had those. The rest of us had to make do with Sound Blasters." 😁 Knew I'd got something good because SB's are still really good cards, and she knows her stuff.

Never was able to get it to work though. Always refuses to initialize, but I'm sure I'm just installing it wrong. There are also some DIP switches on it that I have no clue about; I'm sure those are wrong too. Is there a good place you know of where I can get the correct information on how to set it up?

I'll be home for Thanksgiving week, hit me up on the Sunday or Monday before and I'll give it another shot.

World's foremost 486 enjoyer.

Reply 4 of 5, by vmunix

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

for sure it's a resource problem, mostly the memory address range is wrong. Also some motherboards are tricky with Multisounds try first with an Intel based PC, chipset cpu etc..and ge the sound card manual at least on .pdf

Trailing edge computing.

Reply 5 of 5, by bristlehog

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This is not a very expensive soundcard, it's market price I believe is about from $100 for bare card to $200 for boxed one. Nowhere like $3500 for a boxed Adlib Gold or $500 for bare LAPC-I or IMFC.

It's really tricky to set up, the rules of thumb are:

1) Use a [reasonably] old PC, like 486. The newer the PC is, the more is probability of something (like a GeForce video card or a SCSI adapter) interfering with Multisound's memory management.

2) Use DOS and Windows 3.1. There are drivers for Windows 95, but I believe they are even harder to set up.

3) Use default resources: 0x290 for control port, 0xD000 for Shared Memory Address, 10 (0x0A) for IRQ. That's because some of the DOS game drivers only support default values for an unknown reason.

On the very soundcard the control port is set up with DIP switches, the rest (SMA and IRQ) are set up with software via the control port.

4) If you run Multisound's Win 3.1 setup (MSDR20 folder) and it finished successfully, but after a reboot the driver and Multisound applications keep telling you that they can't find Multisound card or something similar, try setting 8-bit memory mode in Control Panel->Drivers->Multisound Hardware and Driver Setup:

msnd8bit_pre.jpg

5) To play anything, Multisound must be initialized, that includes initializing both DSP and Proteus, and loading presets into Proteus. Windows 3.1 drivers do it automatically at Windows startup. However, loading presets into Proteus takes some time, about half a minute for me. It can be monitored live with Proteus app. Also you can load different preset banks there.

6) The best way of working with PX Player and DOS games I figured out so far is this:

- run Windows 3.1
- wait until all patches are loaded into Proteus
- exit Windows 3.1
- run PX Player or some DOS game

There's a DOS app, named PRESETS.EXE, that initializes Multisound DSP and Proteus, and loads up the patches, but all the app versions I tried were loading the drum patches wrong and you end up listening to piano sounds instead of drums.