VOGONS

First post, by chrisNova777

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

whats the best one to get thats already got built in driver support?

http://www.oldschooldaw.com | vintage PC/MAC MIDI/DAW | Asus mobo archive | Sound Modules | Vintage MIDI Interfaces
AM386DX40 | Asus VL/I-486SV2GX4 (486DX2-80) | GA586VX (p75) + r7000PCI | ABIT Be6 (pII-233) matroxG400 AGP

Reply 1 of 5, by tayyare

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

3com 3c509 series are always my choice. But anything NE2000 compatible will also be ok.

GA-6VTXE PIII 1.4+512MB
Geforce4 Ti 4200 64MB
Diamond Monster 3D 12MB SLI
SB AWE64 PNP+32MB
120GB IDE Samsung/80GB IDE Seagate/146GB SCSI Compaq/73GB SCSI IBM
Adaptec AHA29160
3com 3C905B-TX
Gotek+CF Reader
MSDOS 6.22+Win 3.11/95 OSR2.1/98SE/ME/2000

Reply 3 of 5, by elod

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Ne2000 would be my 1st pick. RTL8019 equipped cards with lots of jumpers.
I have some Intel Ether Express 10. The nice thing about these is that they have flash chips that you can write (have not figured out how again, I simply forgot 😀)
3Com also.

And then you have this: http://www.brutman.com/mTCP/

Network stacks in DOS were a pain. When you loaded the Netware or LANMAN TSRs you pretty much were very low on conventional memory. Packet drivers were a lot nicer but limited.

Reply 4 of 5, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
elod wrote:

Network stacks in DOS were a pain. When you loaded the Netware or LANMAN TSRs you pretty much were very low on conventional memory. Packet drivers were a lot nicer but limited.

I don't agree with this. There are ways to load Netware fully and LANMAN partially high. For the case of Netware it is even laoded to EMS/XMS leaving UMBs free for other drivers. In such a config Netware takes no conventional memory at all.

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel
FTP Server - Driver Archive and more
DVI2PCIe alignment and 2D image quality measurement tool

Reply 5 of 5, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It was also possible to load WfW's network stack without loading the Win 3.x GUI (but the networking part of Windows).
I don't recall the details, but perhaps this made more use of XMS instead of base memory.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//