VOGONS

First post, by kithylin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Okay. So I own a boxed version of the above listed card, the Promise EIDE 4030 Plus VLB controller for 486's. I already have had one user PM me and ask me for the manual after I mentioned I had it. And so I just finished some high res scans of every page in the manual for them.

I don't know if anyone wants to.. and even if they did I wouldn't know how to do it myself but maybe this is something Vogons Drivers would like to snatch up and host, so other people in the future that may find one of these cards bare-card used would like a nice detailed manual for it. So I'll make a thread and share the link here. If anyone wants you can take it and upload it to vogons drivers or where ever. But it will remain on my server indefinitely for the foreseeable future.

For those wondering the card I'm speaking of is this thing:
Promise_EIDE_4030_PLUS_%28Smaller%29.jpg

The direct link to the manual is here: http://www.outfoxed.net/4030_plus/EIDE-4030-Plus-Manual.rar

And there's some images of the box in the folder here: http://www.outfoxed.net/4030_plus/

I think I still have the original two floppies around here somewhere.. I'm going to look for em now and if I can find em I'll image em with WinImage and post those too.

Reply 1 of 11, by firage

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This is brilliant. I just got this card and am waiting for it to arrive; it's used and without any of the materials. Thanks for doing this!

My big-red-switch 486

Reply 2 of 11, by kithylin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
firage wrote:

This is brilliant. I just got this card and am waiting for it to arrive; it's used and without any of the materials. Thanks for doing this!

No problem. 😀

Most of the images are double-paged, that is both left and right pages so it's actually half the images it otherwise would be.

Except for.. I think page 8 or 9. Right about in there they had a almost full page diagram of the card with jumper designations and locations and all of that. So I took advantage of it and scanned that one page in higher at 800 dpi @ 100%, then scaled it down about -60% for more detail and posted it on it's own bigger page so folks have a nice reference. Then the other page on the other side got it's own image. The rest are double-paged per jpeg.

EDIT: I exploded the rar file into a sub-folder for everyone to read and if you want just the reference image here's a link to that: http://www.outfoxed.net/4030_plus/EIDE-4030-P … ual/Page-08.jpg

Reply 3 of 11, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Any chance you could dump the BIOS on the card? I have the "basic" 4030 model which does not support LBA, and it should work with a BIOS update:
VLB IDE cache controllers, benchmark

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 4 of 11, by kithylin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
vetz wrote:

Any chance you could dump the BIOS on the card? I have the "basic" 4030 model which does not support LBA, and it should work with a BIOS update:
VLB IDE cache controllers, benchmark

I don't own a bios reader myself.. and honestly sort of scared to take the chips out of mine as I might damage em and then it wouldn't work. I don't think I can help much there. Sorry.

I have a friend of mine locally that has one.. I'll see if maybe I can get in touch with em.. not sure.

Reply 5 of 11, by firage

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I don't know, the BIOS *might* be compatible since all the main IDE controller chips are the same. This isn't the same product as the old DC4030VL series, though. It integrates the old controller with super-I/O - serial, parallel, gameport, the FDC is different and there's a secondary IDE controller for tertiary IDE with ATAPI. (The EIDE branding is a sham, btw; all it stands for is LBA.)

My big-red-switch 486

Reply 6 of 11, by kithylin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I has sorta bad news. On two fronts. I can't find my driver diskettes and can't get ahold of my friend with the bios reader so.. guess the manual is all ya get from me on this thing. Sorry.

Reply 7 of 11, by shifter775

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I found this thread when looking for information about a card I've had for quite a while.

I also happen to have a flash chip reader. Is there still interest in having a copy of the code?

Only two of my chips have stickers unlike the photo with three. Mine appear to be a newer version listed as R4.60 on the sticker.

Reply 8 of 11, by shifter775

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

You guessed correctly vetz I can't do PMs yet. The offer to dump the EEPROMS is still good.

I'll have to dig out the card and my reader.

PM me a place to upload them maybe? I know about the VOGONS libray, but I'm not sure this fits the spirit of it.

Reply 9 of 11, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
shifter775 wrote on 2020-04-07, 20:22:

You guessed correctly vetz I can't do PMs yet. The offer to dump the EEPROMS is still good.

I'll have to dig out the card and my reader.

PM me a place to upload them maybe? I know about the VOGONS libray, but I'm not sure this fits the spirit of it.

Excellent, thank you so much 😀

You could just zip the file(s) and attach them to your post.

On a side note I also gave it a shot to send a support request to Promise to see if they still have the original BIOS files. It's a longshot, but we'll see.

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 10 of 11, by shifter775

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Took me a bit to get to this. Sorry about that. I was a bit bummed I had to remove a sticker to find the chip type.

I decided getting the data was more important than preserving the sticker.

I dumped the odd and even sides. I also merged the two after dumping to verify that data was read. I could clearly read ASCII data that makes me think both dumps were a success.

I'm not very versed in lots of chip types, but I think the third chip is probably not a PROM of any kind. If it is I don't think my reader supports it.

Attachments

Reply 11 of 11, by ltning

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
shifter775 wrote on 2020-05-14, 04:04:

I dumped the odd and even sides. I also merged the two after dumping to verify that data was read. I could clearly read ASCII data that makes me think both dumps were a success.

I'm not very versed in lots of chip types, but I think the third chip is probably not a PROM of any kind. If it is I don't think my reader supports it.

The third is also a PROM, and I'd very much like a dump of it. It's probably the same type as the other two, or a half-size of it. Reading from it is not dangerous, even if you get the chip model wrong in the reader config.

What kind of reader do you have?

The Floppy Museum - on a floppy, on a 286: http://floppy.museum
286-24/4MB/ET4kW32/GUS+SBPro2
386DX-40/20MB/CL5434 ISA/GUSExtreme
486BL-100/32MB/ET4kW32p VLB/GUSPnP/AWELegacy

~ love over gold ~