VOGONS

First post, by computergeek92

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Those internal 3.5 SCSI zip drives have the SCSI port that looks like a slightly longer IDE port. My motherboard has an onboard SCSI port that looks like a smaller, skinnier parallel port. Would a cable adapter work with no trouble?

Also, are the internal SCSI Zip drives any less reliable than the internal IDE ones? I'm had no problems with the IDE versions over the years.

And what about using a SCSI to IDE converter board?

Dedicated Windows 95 Aficionado for good reasons:
http://toastytech.com/evil/setup.html

Reply 1 of 2, by tayyare

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
computergeek92 wrote:

Those internal 3.5 SCSI zip drives have the SCSI port that looks like a slightly longer IDE port. My motherboard has an onboard SCSI port that looks like a smaller, skinnier parallel port. Would a cable adapter work with no trouble?

The one you have on your drive is 50pin SCSI 1 socket, and the one on your mobo is most likely an 68pin SCSI 3. You can just buy a 68pin cable and a 68 to 50pin adapter:

073_68_pin_scsi_m_iso.jpg

31K5wzPxG1L._AC_UL160_SR160,160_.jpg

computergeek92 wrote:

Also, are the internal SCSI Zip drives any less reliable than the internal IDE ones? I'm had no problems with the IDE versions over the years.

And what about using a SCSI to IDE converter board?

I have no idea about the reliability of them compared to each other. I never heard about adapters converting SCSI devices to IDE, but there are adapters that convers IDE devices to SCSI (Acard), but they are not cheap.

Last edited by tayyare on 2016-11-10, 12:19. Edited 1 time in total.

GA-6VTXE PIII 1.4+512MB
Geforce4 Ti 4200 64MB
Diamond Monster 3D 12MB SLI
SB AWE64 PNP+32MB
120GB IDE Samsung/80GB IDE Seagate/146GB SCSI Compaq/73GB SCSI IBM
Adaptec AHA29160
3com 3C905B-TX
Gotek+CF Reader
MSDOS 6.22+Win 3.11/95 OSR2.1/98SE/ME/2000

Reply 2 of 2, by computergeek92

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You are correct about what the drive connectors should look like. Great post, but now i’m thinking firsthand that a USB converter option is an easier and far cheaper deal.

Dedicated Windows 95 Aficionado for good reasons:
http://toastytech.com/evil/setup.html