VOGONS

First post, by computergeek92

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Can I use one of these IDE port to USB plug adapters with my internal ZIP 250 drive and then use another adapter to convert the USB plug to the mobo style USB port interface?

IDE to USB adapter:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-USB-2-0-to-IDE-SA … D1%26rkt%3D1%26

USB plug to mobo pin header adapter:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Internal-USB-A-F-to-M … HAAAOxyoA1RQOy6

Dedicated Windows 95 Aficionado for good reasons:
http://toastytech.com/evil/setup.html

Reply 1 of 5, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I haven't done this before, but I think it should work at least for the physical part.
That USB plug to mobo pin header adapter should work just fine wth USB 1.x/ 2.0 devices.
But I seriously don't know about the ZIP drive+IDE/USB thing. The ZIP drive may or may not be using the IDE/ATAPI language.
So it's up to the adapter to support it or not. Sorry, I only have got an old ZIP100 USB drive. 🙁

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 2 of 5, by computergeek92

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jo22 wrote:
I haven't done this before, but I think it should work at least for the physical part. That USB plug to mobo pin header adapter […]
Show full quote

I haven't done this before, but I think it should work at least for the physical part.
That USB plug to mobo pin header adapter should work just fine wth USB 1.x/ 2.0 devices.
But I seriously don't know about the ZIP drive+IDE/USB thing. The ZIP drive may or may not be using the IDE/ATAPI language.
So it's up to the adapter to support it or not. Sorry, I only have got an old ZIP100 USB drive. 🙁

"That USB plug to mobo pin header adapter should work just fine wth USB 1.x/ 2.0 devices."

That's good to hear, and USB 1.1 is plenty of speed for use with the slow in comparison ZIP drive.

"The ZIP drive may or may not be using the IDE/ATAPI language."

How could it not when the drive in question IS an IDE/ATA based drive?

"So it's up to the adapter to support it or not. Sorry, I only have got an old ZIP100 USB drive."

Best to my knowledge, the ZIP 100 and 250 drives are mostly the same. Only differences are the 250 supports the higher capacity, and can still read the 100MB disks, but at a slower speed.

Reply 3 of 5, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
computergeek92 wrote:
Jo22 wrote:
I haven't done this before, but I think it should work at least for the physical part. That USB plug to mobo pin header adapter […]
Show full quote

"That USB plug to mobo pin header adapter should work just fine wth USB 1.x/ 2.0 devices."

That's good to hear, and USB 1.1 is plenty of speed for use with the slow in comparison ZIP drive.

Yup, it is. USB 3.0 has a larger header I think. 😀

computergeek92 wrote:

"The ZIP drive may or may not be using the IDE/ATAPI language."

How could it not when the drive in question IS an IDE/ATA based drive?

IDE can also be used like a tiny version of the ISA bus (ATA= AT attached. "AT-BUS" was the name of the IBM-PC/AT slot before it was standardized and became ISA).
Back in time, people also attached EPROM programmers to IDE. Such software directly wrote data to port adress 0x170 (for example).
In theory, someone could also hook up a scanner or a tape streamer to IDE. As far as I know, there were even tiny 3.5" streamers for the floppy port.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 4 of 5, by tayyare

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yes, there were Colorado (later HP) backup units (QIC, Travan, etc) that connected to floppy controller (mine were always 5.25" though).

CG92: In another post you said you will go for the USB ZIP instead of the SCSI one. Which OS will you be utilizing with this drive? SCSI will be accessible from DOS, but USB /IDE converted one will not. It might be "pointing the obvious", but just in case... 😊

GA-6VTXE PIII 1.4+512MB
Geforce4 Ti 4200 64MB
Diamond Monster 3D 12MB SLI
SB AWE64 PNP+32MB
120GB IDE Samsung/80GB IDE Seagate/146GB SCSI Compaq/73GB SCSI IBM
Adaptec AHA29160
3com 3C905B-TX
Gotek+CF Reader
MSDOS 6.22+Win 3.11/95 OSR2.1/98SE/ME/2000

Reply 5 of 5, by computergeek92

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
tayyare wrote:

Yes, there were Colorado (later HP) backup units (QIC, Travan, etc) that connected to floppy controller (mine were always 5.25" though).

CG92: In another post you said you will go for the USB ZIP instead of the SCSI one. Which OS will you be utilizing with this drive? SCSI will be accessible from DOS, but USB /IDE converted one will not. It might be "pointing the obvious", but just in case... 😊

Thanks for asking. I'm currently weighing out my options, finding the cheapest and easiest way of doing this. I plan on using the drive for my upcoming server running either Windows Server 2000 or 2003, maybe Server 2008... That is if my single or dual Pentium III 1.4GHz with 4GB or 6GB suffices.