VOGONS

First post, by bluejeans

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Motherboard manual has pins to connect the switch but it's labeled as "function reserved". Followed by this:

9FduDmo.png

Unusual that it says not to use it when power is on, as the benchmarking w/o cache thread mentions doing this during realtime benchmarks. Certainly not going to try it until I can get more info from you guys.

Reply 1 of 9, by kaputnik

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The manual for my GA-586HX says the same thing. If I remember it right, it doesn't threaten with anything worse than lockups etc. Managed to switch it accidentally a few times when the computer has been powered on though, and it seems to work just fine at the new clock afterwards.

That being said, I won't guarantee it's a good idea to do it, just that I've personally never experienced any problems when doing it.

Reply 2 of 9, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hmm.. 60MHz method ? The Pentium uses a 60-66MHz Front-Side-Bus (FSB) I think.
Maybe the tubo switch is slowing down the whole mainboard to an XT compatible speed.
If you do this when PC is running, it could become unstable or crash. Perhaps that's because the manual warns about it.
It is just an idea, though. Better wait what other users have to say. I'm not that of a Pentium person so I may be wrong.. 😅

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 3 of 9, by PARUS

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I never heard that at least one P1-mobo can do turbo switch. Were they so? (I think no.)
Turbo switch button is present just because it was present on all AT cases at that times. Pentium was a first platform with eliminated turbo function.

Reply 4 of 9, by SRQ

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It might lead to data corruption or something if you switch it on while doing something due to how significant the speed difference is between what Turbo aims for and the P1 166, or could turn caches off leading to that data being tossed out too.

Reply 5 of 9, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

My pentium pro board had one of these options in bios. Took me hours to figure out it was slowing my machine down to 8088 levels.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 6 of 9, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
PARUS wrote:

I never heard that at least one P1-mobo can do turbo switch. Were they so? (I think no.)
Turbo switch button is present just because it was present on all AT cases at that times. Pentium was a first platform with eliminated turbo function.

The first older pentium 1 motherboard still had this turbo function on the board.. Later pentium 1 boards this option was removed.. Sometimes you only could connect the turbo LED to the motherboard, but there was no turbo switch header on the board. That turbo led function on the later pentium 1 was only a cosmetic thing.

~ At least it can do black and white~

Reply 7 of 9, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yes, I vaguely remember that I have seen such 586s, too..
I think 286/386/486 PCs often used either wait states for throtthling or halved the frequency (f. chipset/processor).
More recent 486/586 machines disabled their caches instead (perhaps because of VLB/PCI).
But as I said, I'm not that of a Pentium person.. Maybe my memory is playing tricks on me, dunno.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 9 of 9, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
bluejeans wrote:
Motherboard manual has pins to connect the switch but it's labeled as "function reserved". Followed by this: […]
Show full quote

Motherboard manual has pins to connect the switch but it's labeled as "function reserved". Followed by this:

9FduDmo.png

Unusual that it says not to use it when power is on, as the benchmarking w/o cache thread mentions doing this during realtime benchmarks. Certainly not going to try it until I can get more info from you guys.

So it's basically just an external jumper switch 😜

Someone mentioned the possibility of disk corruption, which does sound plausible.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!