VOGONS

Reply 20 of 28, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ehm, I've only tried through Windows 98SE. I tried to plug the SB_link, but I don't know what I have to do next. Do I have to install a driver for that or something ?

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 21 of 28, by j^aws

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

SB-Link has no affect when running in a Windows DOSBOX. You need to initialise the card in pure DOS to get the best compatibilty using SB-Link, and run games from there. There are multiple ways to do this. I find the simplest way is to keep the Windows and DOS install files seperate.

You need to intstall the DOS setup files, and you can download it here with all the required files from my thread I linked earlier:

Re: Yamaha PCI YMF-724 DOS Compatibility Thread

Downloading from Yamahas site, and installing doesn't have all the required files (you need to add DOS4GW), but the above link already has this. Just follow the instructions above. Edit your AUTOEXEC.BAT files accordingly, and I suggest you clean up your DOSSTART.BAT file (you may have duplicate entries from your Windows setup causing issues when you exit to DOS).

If the SB_Link cables is aligned correctly, when you run SETUPDS.EXE, you should be able to choose DMA as PC/PCI, and IRQ as S-IRQ, which should give the best compatibilty on a 440BX setup.

Running "SETUPDS /S" should initialise the card with the required parameters. Ensure you have the correct "SET BLASTER=" entries in AUTOEXEC.BAT, and "SET SOUND=" pointing to a directory with any relevant SBPro 2.0 files needed by some games, e.g. CT-VOICE.DRV and SBFMDRV.COM (you will need to get the SBPro 2.0 versions from Creatives Labs install files).

Reply 23 of 28, by Kamerat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I also had trouble with Duke Nukem 3D with my YMF744 under Windows 98SE, system locked while trying to initialize Sound Blaster. Changing drivers from VxD to WDM seems to solve the issue on my setup (Core 2 Duo E6600 @3,6GHz on an Asus P5B-Deluxe). I downloaded both the VxD and VDM drivers from Yamahas site.

DOS Sound Blaster compatibility: PCI sound cards vs. PCI chipsets
YouTube channel

Reply 25 of 28, by j^aws

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
sprcorreia wrote:

My setup must be one of the kind... No extra files, just the Yamaha drivers and everything works.

This can happen, as it did when I first installed everything in Windows. It's highly likely that DOS4GW was already on your system somewhere, and the PATH statement picked it up. Moreover, you never tried a game that needed CT-VOICE.DRV and SBFMDRV.COM, which tend to be very few and very old.

Reply 26 of 28, by Kamerat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Doppler wrote:

Hey Kamerat! Were there any sound dropouts? or is it all fine on WDM?

Don't think there's any sound dropouts other than samples beeing cut too early once in a while in Duke 3D with Sound Blaster Pro emulation running 44kHz. It seems like OPL3 doesn't work with WDM drivers, so I have to run those games in pure DOS.

YouTube channel

Reply 28 of 28, by Kamerat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yes, I can. Remember to set the "YAMAHA DS-SG Synthesizer (WDM)" as default MIDI output instead of "Microsoft GS Wavetable SW Synth".

If you got no "YAMAHA DS-XG Legacy Sound System (WDM)" in "Device Manager", then enable "Legacy (DOS Windows Sounds)" in Power YMF.

YouTube channel