VOGONS

First post, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hi,
I'm using a time correct Davicom pci ethernet card and I was thinking if there're any difference in speed (beside the top theorical one 10/100/1000 and the internet operator limit) between the many ethernet cards around cause I never read any review about it. Maybe some latency differences?
Thank
Bye

Reply 2 of 6, by Jepael

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Which Davicom chip, DM9102? It appears it's a not-too-great clone of DEC/Intel 2114x chips.

From http://man.openbsd.org/dc.4:

The Davicom interfaces require a grossly high PCI latency timer value to function properly. This means when a Davicom adapter is present in the machine, it is given an unfairly high amount of bandwidth on the PCI bus, unnecessarily taking time away from other devices. Therefore, Davicom network cards are not recommended for use with OpenBSD. Be careful; some motherboards have Davicom interfaces built-in.

Reply 3 of 6, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Jepael wrote:

Which Davicom chip, DM9102? It appears it's a not-too-great clone of DEC/Intel 2114x chips.

From http://man.openbsd.org/dc.4:

The Davicom interfaces require a grossly high PCI latency timer value to function properly. This means when a Davicom adapter is present in the machine, it is given an unfairly high amount of bandwidth on the PCI bus, unnecessarily taking time away from other devices. Therefore, Davicom network cards are not recommended for use with OpenBSD. Be careful; some motherboards have Davicom interfaces built-in.

Thank for the info!! Sometimes time correct is not exactly the best option. The usual evergreen Realtek based 10/100/1000 cards are better for linux?

Reply 5 of 6, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Intel probably makes the best if not the most widely used networks cards in the last 10 years. 3com for pre-gigabit. Past that, it honestly doesn't matter. server-grade cards will have more features, but for 99% of cases, it is a moot point. Realtek cards are fine, I use them in my home router. I throw away anything that isn't intel or 3com (pre gigabit). Not worth the hassle finding drivers for win98 (and older).

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 6 of 6, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
luckybob wrote:

Intel probably makes the best if not the most widely used networks cards in the last 10 years. 3com for pre-gigabit. Past that, it honestly doesn't matter. server-grade cards will have more features, but for 99% of cases, it is a moot point. Realtek cards are fine, I use them in my home router. I throw away anything that isn't intel or 3com (pre gigabit). Not worth the hassle finding drivers for win98 (and older).

Thanks. Actually using the Davicom 9102 but soon I'll change it for the pci latency issue told above. Probably the best I could find is the Realtek 8169 chipset cards.