VOGONS

First post, by K1LLUM1N471

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello,

I made a 1:1 copy of Windows 98 SE from a Quantom Fireball Plus KX (13,6GB) to a Western Digital WD800JB (80GB) by the use of CloneZilla.
Windows 98 is working fine on the new harddisk.

Unfortunately the display stays black after I had resized the partition from 13,6GB to 80GB or 30GB or even 20GB with GParted.
I also supposed the behaviour is caused by the 32GB limitation, that's why I tested the 32GB limitation by jumpers of the HD as well - still the same reaction.

Does anyone have a clue on that?

Kind regards,
K1LLUM1N471

Reply 1 of 5, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Doesn't Clonezilla support restoring the data from the 13.6 GB partition to a larger partition?

Anyway, I think fdisk /mbr should do the trick. Alternatively, you might have to set the partition's "active" flag.

I don't think any 32 GB limit has anything to do with it.

Reply 2 of 5, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Clonezilla has an option to resize partitions proportionally which works great on any OS I've tried it on *except* Win98 😒
http://clonezilla.org/clonezilla-live/doc/03_ … anced-param.php
In order to get my Clonezilla restores to work with Win98, I have to make sure the -r flag is turned off and I disable checking the image before restoring. I don't see why, it should work the same as other OSes, but I haven't had time to troubleshoot it further yet.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 3 of 5, by K1LLUM1N471

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thank you for the suggestions.

I just tried "fdisk /mbr" without success -> Display stays black.

I also just tried to clone again with the "-k1" parameter to resize the partition on the larger target disk -> Copy is working fine as well, but the partition has still the original size.

Kind regards,
K1LLUM1N471

Reply 5 of 5, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I remember having resized an original Toshiba windows 95 found on a 200CDS and moved it to my 210CS on the bigger hard drive with mini tool partition wizard and it seems to have worked without any issues

You need something to plug the old hdd to a modern computer though

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative