VOGONS

First post, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

I need a good 775 heat sinks that takes a 80mm fan.

Anyone have any ideas? The cpu will not be overclocked and will likely be a 80w cpu.

Last edited by Jade Falcon on 2016-12-11, 19:10. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 2 of 10, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED
candle_86 wrote:

Why does it need to take 80mm fans, I have a 775 heatsink I'd give you 🤣

I have 2 80mm nucta fans. and dont really need a good heat sink for this task. just needs to be silent.
its being used for 80w cpu and the case it fill of fans. just working whit what I have.

Reply 3 of 10, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Iv used the dynatron k987 which is a Copper core 92mm stock intel style heatsink on a Q6600 before. Around $20 and worked great. EDIT: looks like 80mm heatsinks tend to be really wimpy

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 4 of 10, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I think it's going to take a pretty large heatsink to cool an 80 watt 775 CPU with an 80mm fan while also wanting it to be silent... especially under load. It's a matter of them being too small to move a lot of air without being noisy.

I was using a 90 or 92mm fan on a rather beefy (for the time) Thermalright XP-90 on a socket 939 Athlon 64 and later on an (89w) X2 and it wasn't silent. I haven't used an 80mm fan on a CPU since the Athlons XP days.

You'd probably be best off just buying a $20 tower cooler that has a built in 90-120mm fan. If your 80mm fans are actually silent, they're probably better suited for use as case fans.

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 5 of 10, by kaputnik

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'll have to agree with the other posters. You might want to rethink your strategy, I too believe it'll be hard to cool an 80W CPU silently with 80mm fans.

Many modern tower coolers can be fitted on s775. A few cheap but really good ones:

CM Hyper TX3 Evo - Using this one with my 120W TDP Xeon X5470. You can hear it at high CPU loads, but then again, that's at 120W TDP. Should be more or less inaudible with your CPU.

CM Hyper 212 Evo - Got one of these in my main rig, with a lightly OC'ed i7 3770k. Its standard clock TDP is 77W. The cooler is completely inaudible, even when the CPU is fully loaded, in a FD Define R4 case, which is build with some soundproofing in mind.

Be Quiet Pure Rock - Got no personal experience of this one, but my brother is using one of them, and seems happy enough with it.

There are of course lots of other alternatives, these are just a few affordable but good ones I happen to know about 😀

Reply 6 of 10, by agent_x007

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Since you don't want to Overclock... try Undervolting (1V or 1,1V, should do the trick nicely regardless of CPU).
If MB doesn't have Vcore control, use VID Mod to force lower VID.

Also, why not use zip ties to mount 80mm fan on stock, 30mm height, heatsink ?

157143230295.png

Reply 7 of 10, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Agreed with above posters. 80mm fans are more for A64 (single core) and Athlon XP, but I'd personally use them either as case fans for nice looking cases that don't support larger fans or use them to cool normally passively cooled graphics cards (Voodoo 3, any AGP/PCI-E graphics card with large passive cooler that's in reality a bit undercooled).

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 8 of 10, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

Odd im cooing my 130w xeons fine with the same 80mm fan.
Don't see why a 80w cpu could not be cooled with a 80mm fan too.

It's no like I need the cpu to load around 45c

Reply 9 of 10, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Maybe we have different ideas about what is silent. 😀

Even the Antec tricool 120mm fan on my Thermalright ultra 120 extreme isn't silent. The only silent 80mm fans I've ever heard were very low cfm and not sufficient for cooling a high wattage CPU. I guess if you are okay with high temperatures it may be possible, but if you have to buy a heatsink anyway, just get one that will keep noise AND temps low.

I'm guessing your fans aren't completely silent and actually do push enough air to be useful... In which case, I'd recommend just looking at some heat sink reviews from 8-10 years ago and then look for used heat sinks on eBay that fit your needs.

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 10 of 10, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

the fan I have one my xeon is a NF-A8 FLX.
16,1 dB(A) at full speed. idle it about 50-55c and load is about 65-68c

I also tested the temps with a temp gun, it really running that cool. All power saving an down clocking options are off too.
The case has 2 120mm 2 80mm 1 92mm and 2 60mm nocta fans with about the same sound rating. and a 120mm fan in the psu

EDIT:
Mehh I bought 2 ZALMAN CNPS7000V for 10$. I don't like that I cant change the fans, but it will do. 😒