VOGONS

First post, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

As some of you may have seen, I've bought a huge 486 tower. Sadly the motherboard is probably unrepairable due to a leaky battery (the acid went all over from the top to the bottom of the motherboard) but I should have one or two working motherboard (and better ones). Anyway, it's not the subject of that topic. The subject is about the case which as I said is very big and I really like the look of that case, but sadly it should need a bit of work to really shine again.

Here is how it looks like :

IMG_20161116_223840.jpg
Filename
IMG_20161116_223840.jpg
File size
1.02 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

The front door is a bit yellowed while the rest seems to be normal

IMG_20161116_223859.jpg
Filename
IMG_20161116_223859.jpg
File size
1.04 MiB
Views
File license

Yes I've removed everything that could have been inside except for the 3.5" floppy drive and the PSU

IMG_20161116_223927.jpg
Filename
IMG_20161116_223927.jpg
File size
1.04 MiB
Views
File license

The left side. As you can see there are some scratches with rust in them

IMG_20161116_224006.jpg
Filename
IMG_20161116_224006.jpg
File size
734.5 KiB
Views
File license

The right side. Like the left one but worse (the top is also damaged like that)

IMG_20161116_223949.jpg
Filename
IMG_20161116_223949.jpg
File size
1.05 MiB
Views
File license

The back of the case. A bit rusty here and there (the bottom inside the case is way worse, but since these sides aren't painted, this shouldn't be too hard to remove it

So as you can see, it's a nice looking case, but I don't like it to have so munch scratches in the painted area and being a bit yellowed. I think that I should paint the metal part, but what kind of paint should I use ? and how should I remove the rust ?
For the yellowed plastic, I don't really know ... I know retrobright, but I also know that yellow comes back after a few years and if it's done too many times, the plastic start to become really really fragile so I don't really want that to happen. I could paint it too (the door itself has no writings at all), but I think that there will be a color difference between the door and the rest of the plastic part and I don't really want that to happen too. And also I can feel when I touch a painted case that it doesn't feel like plastic anymore ...

Thank in advance 😀

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 1 of 4, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If you know how to do handy work, and can do stuff like painting cars/bikes and stuff.
Then I think it would be easy to restore this on you'r own.

Take the case apart, and clean it for dirt and dust at first.

For the yellow plastic, use some retro bright and for the metal parts, then sand it down.

For the cover. Prime it with some standard metal primer and paint it white again.
(if someone knows how to make that sawdust effect, it would look even more retro)

For the non-painted part of the case, you can perhaps do a cool colour (deep red or something)
Or just remove the rust gently with an metal sponge and finish it off with some clear coat.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 2 of 4, by kaputnik

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'd go about it much as Brostenen suggests.

Retr0bright after a good cleaning in some heavy duty detergent for the plastic parts.

Sand down the rust on the painted parts, keeping as much of the original paint as possible. Powder coating is extremely durable, and makes a very good primer. Thoroughly clean it all. Then spray paint it all with several thin layers of paint as close to the original color as possible. Since the rust spots are so small, there's no real need to use any primer there, but you could do it if you like. Getting an even coat on large flat surfaces is hard, and takes time and some skill. If you don't have previous experience, you might want to practice on a metal sheet or something first. Also remember spray paint can caps can be replaced, ask for caps suitable for the job (read: large, flat surfaces) where you buy the paint.

The "sawdust effect" Brostenen talks about can be achieved by keeping the distance when spraying, and painting in many, extremely thin layers, which you give time to dry thoroughly between sprayings.

As for the non-painted parts, remove the rust with a coarser paper, and then sand the whole surface with fine (800-1200) grit paper to get an even look. Then give it a coat with clear spray varnish. Matte varnish is preferable if you can live without a glossy finish, it's a lot more forgiving.

Reply 3 of 4, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
brostenen wrote:

(if someone knows how to make that sawdust effect, it would look even more retro)

That's merely an effect from holding the spray pistol at a distance that is not optimal for a smooth paint layer (look up "orange peel effect"). Certain paints are also structured, so after application they have a grit-like appearance.

Reply 4 of 4, by ookamithewolf1

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

First, use this stuff to whiten the case. It's basically 40% Hydrogen Peroxide in paste form, Retro-bright in a bottle (careful, it works fast. Experiment on a small corner first, or maybe on an old keyboard or mouse). This should take care of the plastic
http://www.sallybeauty.com/creme-developer/SL … e+cream&start=2

Second, Paint stripper. Its nasty, but it's the best way to get rid of all the old paint, and will clean it right down to the bare metal. Take all precautions when using it though.

Finally, once everything is cleaned and sanded, use the lightest primer you can find. Remember that it will affect how the paint looks, so if you use a dark primer, then the final paint will have a darker hue, and vice versa. Also get a matte paint, as gloss will look very unprofessional

Those are my thoughts on the subject. Hope they help!