VOGONS

First post, by thepirategamerboy12

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hello, I have an old NEC Ready 7022 PC that has an infrared receiver on the front and also comes with a remote.

IMG_4829_zps077yrron.jpg
IMG_4828_zpsz7otlwfl.jpg

I have the original recovery CD for this machine, but it's sadly a piece of s*** and when I try to do a factory restore just gives me a "can't find FDISK.KEY" error on drive A:, and even if I make a blank file named that, I then get an Incorrect DOS version error.
IMG_4833_zpss2wvzweg.jpg
Is there anyone here who would possibly have this software seperately or figure out how to get the recovery CD to work correctly? Thanks. I'd post an iso to the (presumably very rare) CD here. but I assume it wouldn't be allowed.

Reply 4 of 10, by kiwa

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Got it working!
Maybe you can't share the file directly but i can share my metod.

It's kind of weird to install without the fdisk.key file, but i managed it, ( i had to crack the restore files because they where only compatible with Nec computers)

1- restore floppy image i uploaded, it a generic dos 6.22 boot disk with a generic fdisk.key
http://leoromo.net/wp-content/uploads/2016/11 … os6.22.img_.zip

2- Boot the computer with the cd and floppy
EAeWzye.png

3- erase all your partitions with fdisk

4- create one single partition.
Scbpvf8.png
UwO2gNX.png
qUVu4ht.png
the computer will reboot

5- format c:
rzHzyA2.png

6- go to r:\tools (R: is your cd drive)
azFRowa.png

7- run restore.exe
OqycrNe.png
and do a system restore,
UYrlt7a.png
MKLMTEl.png
aPJazRK.png
it will go to this screen
http://i.imgur.com/fwiE4fg.png
don't do anything

8- Reboot and repeat steps 4 and 5

9- go again to r:\tools and run restore.exe, it will begin automatically the file extraction to c: restoring all files.

Xu5zSV6.png

after it finishes, it will give you this screen
A5CoIWm.png

Now remove the floppy and reboot, it will begin the generic windows 95 install now asking for your W95 Key and some other stuff.

Reply 8 of 10, by travfrancisco

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi Kiwa, aware I'm replying to a super old post. If you're around, could you share some insight how you cracked the restore files? I'm working on a nostalgia project:
https://archive.org/download/NECReady962X/NEC … Recovery-CD.iso

kiwa wrote on 2016-11-27, 01:26:

Got it working!

It's kind of weird to install without the fdisk.key file, but i managed it, ( i had to crack the restore files because they where only compatible with Nec computers)

Reply 9 of 10, by kiwa

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
travfrancisco wrote on 2021-06-04, 21:20:

Hi Kiwa, aware I'm replying to a super old post. If you're around, could you share some insight how you cracked the restore files? I'm working on a nostalgia project:
https://archive.org/download/NECReady962X/NEC … Recovery-CD.iso

kiwa wrote on 2016-11-27, 01:26:

Got it working!

Hi, haha wow this is old, but i did make a quick patch that jumped the "bioscheckstring" or something like that to always return true or 1 or something like that.

idk what is your idea exactly but in your iso image you have the restorcd.exe and that also does a similar check, it's looking for some specific strings on the bios "Powermate Versa Image Ready NEC etc" so if you are using a virtual machine you can just edit the string to something like "PowerMate" and test, probably also editing the exe file, replacing any of those strings with idk "Virtual" or "KVM" and changing the checksum could also trigger the correct condition so it could install.

Screenshot_20210609_140110.png
Filename
Screenshot_20210609_140110.png
File size
181.79 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Same thing probably also applies to the windows executable, you need to do the same change to the access.dll

Screenshot_20210609_140604.png
Filename
Screenshot_20210609_140604.png
File size
189.13 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

hope this can help.