VOGONS

First post, by Doppler

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Do anyone know if this card is capable of having wavetable/GM playback capabilities in DOS? in other words - if I buy it - will I have wavetable based MIDI muic in DOS games? or does it have only genuine OPL3 chip for FM synthesis?

b6cf31f64569bb84e6f6d661e1a0.jpg

Reply 1 of 9, by boxpressed

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I don't see any ROM on the card that would store the patches, so I would say that this card does not have wavetable capability on board (although you could attach a DB to the wavetable header).

Reply 3 of 9, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

According to their datasheet, these aren't memory chips at all, these are bus transceiver

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 4 of 9, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I suspected something like that looking at the traces -- couldn't quite make out the identifiers for the chips themselves. The application notes from Opti claim further bus interface logic isn't necessary. Maybe their chip design had some inadequacies?

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 7 of 9, by Doppler

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

one more question:
what are AD1846 and 82c929a chips responsible for?
Does the DreamBlaster X2/X1/S1 work with this 82c929A chip in general midi under DOS? will I need any additional drivers to set it up?

Reply 8 of 9, by Jepael

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Doppler wrote:

one more question:
what are AD1846 and 82c929a chips responsible for?
Does the DreamBlaster X2/X1/S1 work with this 82c929A chip in general midi under DOS? will I need any additional drivers to set it up?

AD1846 is the Windows Sound System codec.
82C929A has SB emulation, mixer, MIDI UART, game port and acts as a glue logic interface between OPL3 and WSS (AD1846), including control for external CD ROM interface buffers (yeah, it has logic to control those buffers, but it can't sit between say IDE CDROM and ISA BUS, because IDE bus is just buffered ISA bus).

So I have no personal experience but since it provides the MPU midi interface at standard ports, it should work just fine with DreamBlasters. It may need some software to configure the card to enable and set the MIDI port address if it defaults disabled or wrong address. It appears to default the MIDI interface enabled to port 330h, IRQ 9. But it's possible you may want to disable all other interfaces to have compatibility with another sound card, or turn volumes of unused interfaces down. It does have genuine OPL3 FM though!

Reply 9 of 9, by boxpressed

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If you're looking for an ISA card with bulit-in hardware wavetable, you might be interested in this thread I created:

ISA Sound Cards with Internal Wavetable

And the thread below contains samples of some of the cards mentioned in the thread above:

My Wavetable Sample Thread