High end PCI video card for Tualatin?

Topic actions

Reply 40 of 44, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Rhuwyn wrote:

FYI, I was going through my PCI cards today and found an HIS ATI Radeon HD 4350. PCI 512MB. No drivers for Windows 9x as far as I know but for those running Windows XP on a playform with PCI only this could be a good alternative. Probably not for my build I was originally asking about but would be a good option for some.

I didn't realise there was a PCI version of the HD4350. I have the AGP version of the HD4350. Maybe you can bench the HD4350 PCI in WinXP on a Prescott 3.4 GHz system using Quake III, Tom2D, and 3DMark2001SE @1280x1024?

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 41 of 44, by Rhuwyn

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I don't have a prescott system up and running but I'll look at putting one together. The thing that sucks about finding late model PCI cards is that you can't search for PCI cards without PCI Express cards also coming up in your search. I believe there are a lot more later model cards then we think they were just made in smaller quantities. I ran into an Geforce 8400 GS which was legacy PCI also on ebay which I didn't know existed either.

Reply 42 of 44, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Iv got a 1gb Geforce 9400gs card but got rid of all my fast P4 systems, otherwise id test it for you.

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 43 of 44, by AGP4LIfe?

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have a FX 5700LE PCI, and it ran 7203 Score in 3DMark 2001 SE however this was on a Socket 939 system. I do have a Pentium 1.1Ghz coppermine Dell I could plop it in and retest, to get it closer to the system listed earlier here for comparison purposes.

Who decides what truth is, and what is their objective? Today’s falseness can reappear as tomorrow’s truth.

Reply 44 of 44, by Trashbytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If you are not worried about retro compatibility for games then you can get a GT430 in PCI which is technically one of the most powerful PCI GPUs you can get, I managed to nabb one recently. IIRC you can even get a HD7350 in PCI if AMD is your thing but its not even close to the GT430 in raw power.

Not sure how useful either would be in a Tualatin system but you wouldn't be wanting for GPU power with either of them. For something closer a 8400GS or 9500GT in PCi would be nice, for ATI you can get X1550 and X1300 in PCI too. (Personally I avoid the FX cards but the 5700 seems like an ok option if you can find one at a reasonable price and need retro compatibility with games)