VOGONS

Dead monitor?

Topic actions

First post, by Vincebus

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

hi guys, yesterday i was using my 486 and i left for a drink or something but kept it on, then i came back after one hour and the screen was black but the power indicator was flickering with a pulse sound, i know some vesa monitors turn off after some time for power saving but this wasn the case ... however the screen had some weird behavior before that, most of time it worked neat, but sometimes the screen turned yellow and the picture looked like withut the blue channel, also sometimes it flickered in a odd way, like a very fast flicker for 1 or 2 seconds then came back to normality.

Is my monitor dead? i wont discard it because got it with its original keyboard and pc, do you know guys what it could be?

Last edited by Vincebus on 2016-12-02, 21:44. Edited 1 time in total.

lo-fi fingers...

Reply 1 of 13, by Ultris

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Usually if a CRT starts turning off on its own, simply dusting out the case solves the problem. But what you're describing sounds concerning. Try cleaning it out, but if that doesn't fix it, then it's probably dead.

Reply 5 of 13, by Vincebus

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
GPA wrote:

loosing some colours and flickering sounds like a cable/connectors problem. Maybe worth checking them.

the cable was ok, when happens that i had to beat the back of the monitor until the colors were ok again, 🤣, that was even worse at night because i have to keep the screen yellow or get ranted by my brothers.

h-a-l-9000 wrote:

Either power supply or a short on the secondary side. Often the horizontal output transistor.

i think that transistor is very susceptivble to heat, one thing i did not mentioned is days ago i had to move my computer to a VERY hot room with absolutely no ventilation at all, well , maybe that killed the trasistor? also, that flickering noise is very close to it, a very high pitch nose.

Last edited by Vincebus on 2016-12-02, 23:38. Edited 1 time in total.

lo-fi fingers...

Reply 6 of 13, by Vincebus

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
IMG_8935.JPG
Filename
IMG_8935.JPG
File size
2.61 MiB
Views
File comment
the thing
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
IMG_8937.JPG
Filename
IMG_8937.JPG
File size
2.17 MiB
Views
File comment
the guts
File license
IMG_8938.JPG
Filename
IMG_8938.JPG
File size
2.84 MiB
Views
File comment
transistor one, source of noise
File license
IMG_8939.JPG
Filename
IMG_8939.JPG
File size
3.07 MiB
Views
File comment
more transistors close to flyback
File license
IMG_8940.JPG
Filename
IMG_8940.JPG
File size
2.04 MiB
Views
File license

also i have a multimeter but no idea how to test them. replacing them couldnt be too hard.

lo-fi fingers...

Reply 7 of 13, by Jepael

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Transistors won't squeal by themselves when broken.
Most likely there is something broken somewhere on the board, and that is just the primary (mains side) switching transistor of the power supply trying to power the thing.

Reply 9 of 13, by Imperious

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You really need a Variac when testing these things after a repair, as in some cases the power supply is no longer properly regulating its voltage output to whatever it should be, example 110v DC,
it goes high and the horizontal output transistor blows, then if You simply replace it the same will happen again.
I used to repair these things for many years. Occasionally the Horiz transistor just blows for the hell of it, but rarely.
Realistically there are 3 possible problems

1. Power supply not regulating output voltage with possible horiz transistor also now shorted, could be caps in power supply.
2. Flyback is shorted
3. Horizontal output transistor is shorted

Atari 2600, TI994a, Vic20, c64, ZX Spectrum 128, Amstrad CPC464, Atari 65XE, Commodore Plus/4, Amiga 500
PC's from XT 8088, 486, Pentium MMX, K6, Athlon, P3, P4, 775, to current Ryzen 5600x.

Reply 10 of 13, by kiwa

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey! fellow Chilean, I have fixed a couple of those acer monitors, always the same failure in my case at least, Cold solder joints in some cases in the crt board, in the flyback and in the big transistors.

Reply 11 of 13, by Shagittarius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I had a 1080S monitor back in the day that acted very similar. It turned out the problem with that was some component/housing was building up a static charge. Wacking the monitor helped to discharge it. It was a very cheap repair but this was a long time ago and I don't remember the specifics.

Reply 12 of 13, by GPA

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

PLEASE BE CAREFUL when doing anything inside a CRT device. The CRT gun is powered by 3K+ volts and there are capacitors that hold enough charge for quite some time. This a a very very dangerous voltage level.

Reply 13 of 13, by Vincebus

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

yep, the death nipple is some serious shit, but ive done this before.

this week im gonna take a look to the solder joints then resolder them (crossing fingers). if that doesnt work i will take a look to transistors, a tecnician would be the last instance...

lo-fi fingers...