VOGONS

First post, by Eep386

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello,

Well, I brought a Mitac IH4077C (branded ATT4077C on the BIOS sticker) 486 motherboard from the dead (all it needed was some re-flowing of the 486 socket pins) and I was wondering if anyone has a BIOS for it, that's later than version 1.00.00? I've looked everywhere, including the Internet Archive, for an updated BIOS, but I simply cannot find anything for it. If anyone dumped their version 2.x or later IH4077C BIOS, that'd be great. It's got a UMC 82C491F+82C493 chipset (another thing I can't even find a databook online for, no matter how hard I try!) and seems to work well with a 486DX-50 (the CPU I have running in it now). It even allows a Trident TVGA9400CXi VLB video card to run at 50MHz!

I need an updated BIOS because this one doesn't support LBA hard drives, and the Chipset Features Setup menu is disabled (dummied out). It's an Award 4.50G BIOS, and it is dated 01/26/94. The whole BIOS sign-on string is:

01/26/94-UMC-491-2C4X2m31-00
UMC491F 80486 BIOS...1.00.00 (3371-3372)

The odd thing about this BIOS (well, merely one of the many 'odd' things) is that the memory count totals up 16,640K for 16MB of RAM, though DOS always properly reports 16,384KB. Is this freakin' oddball counting the 256KB cache RAM too?!

In return I'll post my oddball Version 1.00.00 IH4077C BIOS, as it's probably impossible to find itself (all the pictures of the IH4077Cs I find online have BIOS revision 2.03 or later, but never 1.00.00!) You can get this odd BIOS here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ohkc8gr60rexgkt/IH4 … .00.00.BIN?dl=0

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by Eep386 on 2016-12-05, 16:59. Edited 1 time in total.

Life isn't long enough to re-enable every hidden option in every BIOS on every board... 🙁

Reply 2 of 4, by Eep386

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Unfortunately that isn't going to work, as BIOS-Patcher assumes that the BIOS file is LHA packed (early Award BIOSes, such as this one unfortunately, are unpacked. I tried another Award BIOS editor on it, but the editor couldn't make heads or tails of the file!) and it also assumes the file is at least 1 Mbit (128KB). This one is merely 64KB. (I *could* try doubling the file up via COPY /B file+file...)

Yeap, this be an odd (expletive deleted) duck.

Edit: Well, knowing that it's uncompressed I might try AwdHack with it. Blah, stupid 64-bit Windows! I guess I'll have to get DOSBox set up...

Update 2: Well, using MODBIN I was able to crudely hack the Chipset Features menu back into BIOS setup, which allowed me to tune up the memory a fair bit (shaving some 10us off the uncached-area access times reported by CACHECHK v7). It still needs LBA support, but for now Ontrack Disk Manager will have to do. I won't post the modded BIOS until I figure out how to fix some glitchy things (the hack to re-allow the Chipset Features menu overwrites the arguably useless Power Management Setup menu, which does nothing useful for this motherboard and has all the defaults set to disabled anyway). SPEEDSYS 4.78 indicates the IH4077C, configured with a 486DX-50 (50MHz FSB), has 54.22 MB/s memory bandwidth, and offers 24.15 MB/s memory throughput, which is still very low for a 50MHz bus, but far, far better than what it was getting prior to the BIOS hacks. I am so happy I invested in that Needham PB-10 programmer and Datarase II EPROM eraser kit!

Update 3: Just noticed it was dropping pixels in Speedsys at 40+ MHz with the Trident TVGA9400CXi card, so I put an Oak OTI-087 (which is NOT a slug, btw, despite the rather bad reputation it got from having to butt heads with the P9000 chipset over a PCI bus) ISA video card in there. Sure enough, it stopped dropping pixels. Obviously old VLB boards get cranky with speeds > 33 MHz.

Life isn't long enough to re-enable every hidden option in every BIOS on every board... 🙁

Reply 3 of 4, by Eep386

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Another update, I finally fixed the glitchy menu options and re-enabled all the hidden BIOS menu options (save for 'Additional Informations', that does not seem to do anything overly useful to the average user). They all seem to work, though I've only given them minimal functional testing. Now all the options, including Power Management, are available. I've named this modified BIOS 1.00.00A1, to differentiate it from the original 1.00.00 revision.

As usual I assume no responsibility for what may or may not happen should you choose to use this BIOS, use at your own risk!

The hacked 1.00.00A1 BIOS for the IH4077C: https://www.dropbox.com/s/j2dca2i917n1m22/IH4 … HACKED.BIN?dl=0

Again, here's the original "AT&T-authorized" IH4077C 1.00.00 BIOS: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ohkc8gr60rexgkt/IH4 … .00.00.BIN?dl=0