VOGONS

Reply 20 of 25, by havli

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Not all socket F boards support 6-cores. As far as I know, these chips require split VRM phases for CPU and CPU-NB... and older board don't have that (including mine Tyan S2932-E http://www.tyan.com/support_download_cpu2_amd … spx?socketid=16). So unless you board officially supports Instabul CPUs, it is likely they won't work.

HW museum.cz - my collection of PC hardware

Reply 21 of 25, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED
386SX wrote:
Jade Falcon wrote:
The only thing holding it back is the 1.8ghz clock speed. There I'm recall you could get upto a 2.4ghz 6 core cpu for lga1207 a […]
Show full quote
386SX wrote:

But these extreme old configs can compete nowdays in modern tasks?

The only thing holding it back is the 1.8ghz clock speed.
There I'm recall you could get upto a 2.4ghz 6 core cpu for lga1207 and I upto something like 3ghz for a 4 core cpu.

I bought the 1.8ghz cpu's are they pull 40w and have a max TPD of 60w. That and I got 2 for 4$, hopefully they will work with my mobo.

Yeah the only problem I see is the total wattage request when oc... 😵

I did not really plan to OC them. The board I bought is a old MSI board from around 2008-2010, MSI did not use the best VRM back then and I don't want to kill the board.

one look at the VRM and most will not OC it
501866c.jpg

Reply 22 of 25, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED
havli wrote:

Not all socket F boards support 6-cores. As far as I know, these chips require split VRM phases for CPU and CPU-NB... and older board don't have that (including mine Tyan S2932-E http://www.tyan.com/support_download_cpu2_amd … spx?socketid=16). So unless you board officially supports Instabul CPUs, it is likely they won't work.

I'm believe it does.

EDIT:
the boards supports Instabul cpu's and I seen a few with hex's in them, just not the EE models.

Last edited by Jade Falcon on 2016-12-08, 18:54. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 23 of 25, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Jade Falcon wrote:

I did not really plan to OC them. The board I bought is a old MSI board from around 2008-2010, MSI did not use the best VRM back then and I don't want to kill the board.

Nice, but what about the case? Is it standard?

Reply 24 of 25, by Kadath

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
kanecvr wrote:
Get rid of those two 9800 cards, throw in a decent video card and you've got yourself a nice render machine or daily driver. Her […]
Show full quote

Get rid of those two 9800 cards, throw in a decent video card and you've got yourself a nice render machine or daily driver. Here's my HP z800:

pqfLMRvl.jpg
JEFPrakl.jpg
bZmpyB8l.jpg

2xXeon X5690, 48gb ram, Asus RX 470 and runs like a dream.

Nice looking case, I like HP for its 'business' line - I own a Proliant ML350 G6, really sturdy machine.

First comes smiles,
then lies.
Last is gunfire.

Reply 25 of 25, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED
386SX wrote:
Jade Falcon wrote:

Nice, but what about the case? Is it standard?

Good call. The motherboard is ether ATX or Eatx. Cant recall off the top of my head.

The case is a old intel server case from around 2003-4 and is a full EATX case meant for 604 server boards. Has 2 120mm fans 2 60mm fans 2 80mm fans and one 92mm fan. It will be abit of a sleeper build