VOGONS

NVIDIA TNT PCI Card Use

Topic actions

First post, by Smack2k

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have a Creative NVIDIA TNT PCI Card that I am looking for some opinions on what a good use for it would be.

I have an AGP Creative TNT Card that I am going to use in a build with a Voodoo2 SLI setup, but looking for something I could use the PCI Variant of the card for. I dont know how much less performance the PCI card would give me, so figuring out a good place for it in a build is something I am looking for information on.

Thanks!

Reply 1 of 21, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

PCI cards like these are good for use in systems that don't have AGP, like socket7 for instance (though it would be overkill in those). Or as a second video card in an AGP system, e.g. for multi-monitor setups.

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O

Reply 4 of 21, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Creative? That's nice. i have seen MANY tnt's trough the years but they always are diamond viper v550's, i've never seen another brand here. TNT2 we had far more flavors but diamond was still very popular.

It is a decent card and performs the same as the crippled TNT2 M64. According to the Anandtech review it is faster than a matrox g200 and comes pretty close to a single voodoo2 sometimes.

asus tx97-e, 233mmx, voodoo1, s3 virge ,sb16
asus p5a, k6-3+ @ 550mhz, voodoo2 12mb sli, gf2 gts, awe32
asus p3b-f, p3-700, voodoo3 3500TV agp, awe64
asus tusl2-c, p3-S 1,4ghz, voodoo5 5500, live!
asus a7n8x DL, barton cpu, 6800ultra, Voodoo3 pci, audigy1

Reply 5 of 21, by havli

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Don't forget Riva TNT PCI is slower than regular AGP. My tests show AGP is 40% faster... so PCI TNT lacks quite a lot to match V2 performance.

HW museum.cz - my collection of PC hardware

Reply 7 of 21, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The TNT PCI is one of the fastest DOS video cards, very compatible, and has built in VESA 2.0. It makes the perfect graphics card for a Pentium-based DOS PC.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 8 of 21, by Rhuwyn

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I always felt like TNT was one of those cards that was kinda an in-betweener use case card. It won't do anything that a TNT2 wouldn't do better not to mention all your Geforce MX options which are really good as well, and if your ok with the level of performance it provides a Voodoo 3 would do that and give you Glide capabilities as well.

I am curious as to what your other build is.

Reply 9 of 21, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
havli wrote:

Don't forget Riva TNT PCI is slower than regular AGP. My tests show AGP is 40% faster... so PCI TNT lacks quite a lot to match V2 performance.

wow....that is quite a difference. What is the reason for that? Is the pci version castrated?

asus tx97-e, 233mmx, voodoo1, s3 virge ,sb16
asus p5a, k6-3+ @ 550mhz, voodoo2 12mb sli, gf2 gts, awe32
asus p3b-f, p3-700, voodoo3 3500TV agp, awe64
asus tusl2-c, p3-S 1,4ghz, voodoo5 5500, live!
asus a7n8x DL, barton cpu, 6800ultra, Voodoo3 pci, audigy1

Reply 10 of 21, by melbar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
havli wrote:

Interesting!!
Is this the average from your benchmarks? You have done a lot of benchmarks... even with a faster Athlon XP, you would never pair with a TNT building a rig, but it's to compare all card together.
http://hw-museum.cz/benchmark-2-16.php
http://hw-museum.cz/benchmark-2-20.php

For example, i have a Hercules 3D Prophet II MX PCI. Would be interesting how much it is slower than the AGP model. Looking at your benchmarks, you have compared PCI and AGP versions, mainly
Voodoo3, 4 and 5, the Voodoo Banshee, the Kyro and the RivaTNT.

#1 K6-2/500, #2 Athlon1200, #3 Celeron1000A, #4 A64-3700, #5 P4HT-3200, #6 P4-2800, #7 Am486DX2-66

Reply 11 of 21, by havli

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yes, exactly - the first link (Performance summary - old games)
I have no idea how AGP vs PCI would look like on older PC... like PII or K6. But when using AXP the performance hit is rather significant.

This chart is based on the same benchmark methodology. Actually I made it back in 2011 like the rest, just never made it to the public. Maybe when my website redesign is readym I'll update the article. 😀
agp_pci30ue1.png

HW museum.cz - my collection of PC hardware

Reply 12 of 21, by FFXIhealer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
meljor wrote:

wow....that is quite a difference. What is the reason for that? Is the pci version castrated?

The short answer is:

PCI bus runs at 33MHz and has a bandwidth of around 133Mbps (or 16.6 MBps).
AGP bus runs at 66MHz and has a bandwidth of around 266Mbps @ 2x, 533Mbps @ 4x, or 1.066Gbps @ 8x.
Also, AGP allows the graphics card to directly access system memory through its dedicated bus.

But also remember that when AGP was first released, a LOT of video card makers only installed an AGP-to-PCI bridge chip on their cards in order to allow it to talk on the ABP bus, otherwise their PCI and AGP cards were identical (same memory chips, same processors, same internal configurations). But even then, you're still getting nearly twice the data throughput on the AGP bus because of the 66MHz bus clock.

It took years before card makers actually designed their graphics cards AROUND the AGP bus, but by that time, PCI-Express was just on the horizon.

And for the OP, I got a Riva TNT2 32MB AGP card for my Win98 rebuild and paired it with a pair of STB Voodoo2 12MB cards. I haven't installed a game yet that required me to step away from the Voodoo cards and use the TNT2 chip, but it was hella-cheap at only $10 + Shipping on Ebay. And it works.

292dps.png
3smzsb.png
0fvil8.png
lhbar1.png

Reply 14 of 21, by peklop

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

IMHO main reason is an AGP Texturing feature used by TNT and all modern AGP cards.
Voodoo3 not using AGP advanced features and PCI version is not so crippled compared to AGP.

BTW: ATI Rage 128 used in PowerMac G4 is reported to use 66MHz PCI Bus.
What other PCI cards used 66MHz PCI feature? (if we ignore 64bit PCI-X with 133MHz used in server boards)

Reply 15 of 21, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Smack2k wrote:

Just cant find a home for this one for now.....

How about in a socket 3 system? Perhaps with a Pentium Overdrive? With a POD100 it will give you 30 fps in GLQuake.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 16 of 21, by Smack2k

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

As much as I try to keep things specific to years, I was thinking of the Socket 5 Motherboard I have paired with a Pentium 75..

Socket 3 sounds good, but none of my socket 3's have PCI slots in them....

Reply 18 of 21, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
meljor wrote:

Creative? That's nice. i have seen MANY tnt's trough the years but they always are diamond viper v550's, i've never seen another brand here. TNT2 we had far more flavors but diamond was still very popular.

Being from the same country, I can say that I've had the exact same experience 🤣

TNT1 only ever seen the Diamond ones. TNT2 I actually have seen an ASUS one (though when I got it or found it, I had hoped it was a GF1), but most were again Diamond ones (both TNT2 non-Ultras and TNT2 Ultras).

Btw, I liked having a TNT2 16MB PCI graphics card in my non-AGP Celeron 400 rig 😀

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 19 of 21, by Carlos S. M.

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Tetrium wrote:
Being from the same country, I can say that I've had the exact same experience lol […]
Show full quote
meljor wrote:

Being from the same country, I can say that I've had the exact same experience 🤣

TNT1 only ever seen the Diamond ones. TNT2 I actually have seen an ASUS one (though when I got it or found it, I had hoped it was a GF1), but most were again Diamond ones (both TNT2 non-Ultras and TNT2 Ultras).

Btw, I liked having a TNT2 16MB PCI graphics card in my non-AGP Celeron 400 rig 😀

I have an ASUS TNT2, is an ASUS AGP V3800/16M HP OEM, i checked that card and is a full TNT2 card with only 16 MB RAM though

5184-3998.JPG

What is your biggest Pentium 4 Collection?
Socket 423/478 Motherboards with Universal AGP Slot
Socket 478 Motherboards with PCI-E Slots
LGA 775 Motherboards with AGP Slots
Experiences and thoughts with Socket 423 systems