VOGONS

First post, by Kynrek

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Sorry for the double post. I posted this in the wrong area my first time (I'm new here)

Is it safe to switch jumpers on the motherboard to change the clock speed to slow down a 100mhz 486 to 33mhz (for the purposes of running older games)

Reply 2 of 8, by GuyTechie

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It's generally safe to underclock a CPU by lowering the multiplier. Do you know what the bus speed and multiplier is currently set to?

If the bus speed is 33 Mhz and it's a 3x multiplier, you would need a 1x multiplier to get you to 33 MHz on the CPU. Make sure your motherboard has jumpers/DIP switches settings for that.

Just don't accidentally raise the voltage.

Reply 3 of 8, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The motherboard won't have jumpers for 1X, because in 486s the multipliers hard hard wired into the CPUs. The DX4 only supports 2X and 3X. If you want to get 33MHz, you'll have to drop the FSB down to 16MHz.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 4 of 8, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Your best option is to use the turbo switch (if your motherboard has one - most did).
A DX4 100 MHz, with the turbo off, drops to around DX33 MHz speeds.

Reply 5 of 8, by Kynrek

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for the replies! The lowest i can get with jumpers is 60 mhz (which did work ok). Its a compaq that does not have a turbo button on the case so im not sure if the motherboard will have it ill have to look.

Reply 7 of 8, by peklop

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Anonymous Coward wrote:

The motherboard won't have jumpers for 1X, because in 486s the multipliers hard hard wired into the CPUs. The DX4 only supports 2X and 3X. If you want to get 33MHz, you'll have to drop the FSB down to 16MHz.

Some are hard wired to 3x but some could use both 2x and 3x multipliers:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_DX4