VOGONS

First post, by deleted_Rc

User metadata

Today I recieved a new Mobo, and sadly this one has the same problem as the previous one. Here is a link to the old thread where I started my first P1 project.Old thread .I am out of ideas what could be wrong with the setup I am trying to run.
Since I wanted to be on the safe side this time I just connected a graphics card and the PSU ( The ram and CPU were on it already). The moment I turn on the the computer it powers the fans but thats it, the seller of the mobo tested it before sending it to me (padaam) so I trust him sending me a working mobo.
Currently I have a Asus XT97-TE with 64 MB edo ram and a intel 233 Mhz MMX. I connected a working HD from another setup with nothing wrong also using the PSU from my Pentium 2 which is working (Aopen 250W) and the graphics card is a S3 Virge DX (switched it over a few PCI slots) followed by trying a different Trident 3DImãge9750, both are recognized by the monitor I use for my P2 (samsung Syncmaster 550B) but do not show anything when I try to boot the computer.
I am out of ideas what the problem could be since my other Mobo had the same problem when I tested it.

Reply 1 of 4, by dondiego

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Disconnect the HDD cable from the mobo and remove the graphics card, with the pc speaker connected do you get a long beep followed by two short ones? Do ram sticks come in pairs?

LZDoom, ZDoom32, ZDoom LE
RUDE (Doom)
Romero's Heresy II (Heretic)

Reply 2 of 4, by Paadam

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi!

Yes I tested it and took a screenshot also of it working, I also booted it up with the HDD from my P55TP4XE W98 install, booted up without any issues.

I also packaged it very securely in order to avoid any shipping damage etc.

Perhaps you have the HDD cable connectid in wrong orientation, computer won't POST that way.

attachment.php?attachmentid=115417&d=1481194109

Many 3Dfx and Pentium III-S stuff.
My amibay FS thread: www.amibay.com/showthread.php?88030-Man ... -370-dual)

Reply 3 of 4, by deleted_Rc

User metadata
dondiego wrote:

Disconnect the HDD cable from the mobo and remove the graphics card, with the pc speaker connected do you get a long beep followed by two short ones? Do ram sticks come in pairs?

As mentioned by padaam it was tested. It gives continues long beeps. Tested this when I came home, will test further tomorrow with ram modules.

EDIT:
ok, I just got home drunk and wanted to get this setup working 😊
Got the error codes narrowed down to the RAM (tnx dondiego), tried all possible combinations of ram beside the original one that padaam sent me which didn't work, sorry. Ended up plugging in some random working 128 mb pc-100 which worked from my Pentium 2, which I replaced by 128 mb 133 mhz (which also worked). So I either screwed up the edo ram somehow (dont have any edo ram in my posession) or w/e happened during transport of the mobo , dunno don't care. Guess I will go searching for some 2x 32 mb PC-66 SD (so I get a 5% performance increase in the end on my benchmark 😵 😈 😎 ).
Anyway, all it took was 20 beers to get this build working.... 😒
PADAAM, I demand an apology for sending my faulty ram 🤣

Reply 4 of 4, by Paadam

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I am sorry, but I sent you perfectly working RAM as you can see from the POST screen above. Maybe something happened with it during shipping, it is possible but I also took great care during packing (big package with rigid supports and plenty of insulation).

Many 3Dfx and Pentium III-S stuff.
My amibay FS thread: www.amibay.com/showthread.php?88030-Man ... -370-dual)