VOGONS

First post, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Most ISA VGA cards use a 16-bit ISA connector, mainly for the 16-bit bus it provides. Many of these cards have their BIOS split into Odd and Even ROMs or EPROMs. But other cards only have one ROM or EPROM (but they can fool you with the RAMDAC chip, which usually looks like a ROM chip).

Some 16-bit VGA cards will work in an 8-bit ISA slot. A few VGA cards, including the original IBM card, only have an 8-bit ISA connector and one BIOS ROM/EPROM chip.

When the 386 came along, it provided support for ROM BIOS shadowing into RAM. When the system would bootup, it would copy the code from the ROM chips into faster RAM and execute it from there. It could shadow any type of BIOS, whether it was the System BIOS, the VGA BIOS or a SCSI BIOS. The data path to RAM in the 386 and 486 (except the 386sx and its derivates) is 32-bits wide, improving performance even more.

True 286s usually store BIOS ROMs in Odd and Even chips, which provide a 16-bit path between the CPU and the BIOS code. (Actually, the 8086 based Tandy 1000RL and the 286 based Tandy 1000RLX use a single 16-bit ROM chip similar to those found in Sega Mega Drive cartridges, but they only have one 8-bit slot) Undoubtedly this helps improve performance because you can access more data at once. A 286 can access a single 8-bit ROM, but not as quickly as it could a 16-bit ROM.

My experience in 486 and faster systems is that turning off VGA BIOS shadowing has a significant negative impact on video performance. But I do not own a true 286, so I do not know how much of an impact there is from going from an Odd/Even BIOS chip card to just a single BIOS card. Can anyone offer any insight or experiences? My own hypothesis is that the there is a performance impact, but it isn't as severe as turning off ROM BIOS Shadowing in a 386 or above.

http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/ - Nerdly Pleasures - My Retro Gaming, Computing & Tech Blog

Reply 1 of 13, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have this 286 mobo:
1ZdSNdDt.jpg

and these fast ISA VGAs:
B5L4nRRt.jpg WQZgMDtt.jpg vcUF6wet.jpg
and also a couple really old 8/16bit Realtek and UMC ones (that are really slow) plus Sergey's ISA Super VGA

what do I bench? 😎

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 2 of 13, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I would try anything up to and including the Wolfenstein 3D benchmark included here : http://www.philscomputerlab.com/dos-benchmark-pack.html

http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/ - Nerdly Pleasures - My Retro Gaming, Computing & Tech Blog

Reply 3 of 13, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

so pick for example the WDC vga and do a wolf3d bench with VGA BIOS Shadowing On and Off?
Or you also want results from vgas with single and double bios roms?

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 4 of 13, by Scali

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I remember that shadow ROM would greatly improve performance in textmode. But I wouldn't expect it to do much for games, if at all, since games generally don't use BIOS functions, other than setting a graphics mode on startup.
Perhaps the exception is when games use the BIOS ROM font (although that is stored in the system ROM).

http://scalibq.wordpress.com/just-keeping-it- … ro-programming/

Reply 5 of 13, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I don't need VGA ROM BIOS Shadowing, although it is conceivable that a 286 chipset could support such a thing in a custom way. I only need a 286 benchmark from roughly equivalent VGA cards.

Reply 6 of 13, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

OK, so I will Wolf3D-bench my VGAs and report back tomorrow - easy for me to do 😀

Reply 7 of 13, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Allright, I found 2 Realtek RTG3105 cards - one with single BIOS chip and the other with dual BIOS. Here are the cards:

1upVotim.jpg LEAmBfom.jpg

I used Phil's benchmark suite - Wolf3D for FPS and Landmark for characters/ms. The motherboard's BIOS allowed for several shadowing options:
none/system/vga/system+vga . So I benchmarked with either system+vga shadowing or none.

GU3JTmwm.jpg

SINGLE BIOS VGA
with shadowing : 9,4fps - 1109,53 chr/ms
without shadowing: 9,4fps - 1109,53 chr/ms

DUAL BIOS VGA
with shadowing: 9,3fps - 1108,28 chr/ms
without shadowing: 9,3fps - 1108,28 chr/ms

So not really a difference in performance... is this what you were looking for GH?

Reply 8 of 13, by BloodyCactus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

well odd/even just meant the mfg used cheaper lower capacity eeprom than one larger one back in the day. easy to use the lower address line as a chip enable toggle and do odd/even. the performance going from an odd/even two chip to a single chip should be zero, the lowest address line on the card goes to the chip enable, the other lines go to both chips. it should be transparent as electrically its no different. only time youd see a neglible difference is if the two chip implementation had faster access times than the single larger chip implementation, but the isa bus speed + wait states are fare longer than the access times on the eeproms.

with shadowing bios on 486 up, at that point your getting into heavier weight memory controllers and cache. if you turn shadowing off, you have to round trip the isa bus, deal with abysmally slow eeproms and isa bus wait states. shadowing on takes advantage of caching and using ram directly hanging off the cpu/mem controller rather than the slow isa bus.

--/\-[ Stu : Bloody Cactus :: [ https://bloodycactus.com :: http://kråketær.com ]-/\--

Reply 9 of 13, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
keropi wrote:
Allright, I found 2 Realtek RTG3105 cards - one with single BIOS chip and the other with dual BIOS. Here are the cards: […]
Show full quote

Allright, I found 2 Realtek RTG3105 cards - one with single BIOS chip and the other with dual BIOS. Here are the cards:

1upVotim.jpg LEAmBfom.jpg

I used Phil's benchmark suite - Wolf3D for FPS and Landmark for characters/ms. The motherboard's BIOS allowed for several shadowing options:
none/system/vga/system+vga . So I benchmarked with either system+vga shadowing or none.

GU3JTmwm.jpg

SINGLE BIOS VGA
with shadowing : 9,4fps - 1109,53 chr/ms
without shadowing: 9,4fps - 1109,53 chr/ms

DUAL BIOS VGA
with shadowing: 9,3fps - 1108,28 chr/ms
without shadowing: 9,3fps - 1108,28 chr/ms

So not really a difference in performance... is this what you were looking for GH?

Yes, I think that settles the issue. Is that BIOS screen for your 286? I was not aware that 286 chipsets supported shadowing. If so, then I guess that shadowing makes no difference and the split vs. the single ROM makes no appreciable difference.

BIOS shadowing improves performance the most when BIOS functions are heavily used. VGA BIOSes are most frequently used in text modes and to set up graphics modes, but graphics routines themselves typically don't require much in the way of BIOS functions (which are pretty basic in graphics modes). Of the ROM BIOS, the disk drive functions are by far the most frequently used after bootup. If the Int 13h functions are contained in the main BIOS, then it would have a performance boost in that machine. If on a card (extended BIOS support), then you are one generation behind.

Reply 10 of 13, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yep that's the Bios of my 286 board... It's one of the later 286/16 with Headland chipset
If you notice the landmark chrs/ms results there is no difference with shadowing options - and this is a text-mode benchmark as far as I can tell. Maybe the bios option doesn't do anything 🤣

Reply 11 of 13, by Scali

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
keropi wrote:

Yep that's the Bios of my 286 board... It's one of the later 286/16 with Headland chipset
If you notice the landmark chrs/ms results there is no difference with shadowing options - and this is a text-mode benchmark as far as I can tell. Maybe the bios option doesn't do anything 🤣

It's possible that the Landmark benchmark renders text directly to video memory, rather than using BIOS functions for it. In which case, shadowing has no effect.
Do you see any difference if you just get a directory listing from your HDD or such? That's done with BIOS functions, and that's the thing where I noticed a big difference on my machines at the time.

http://scalibq.wordpress.com/just-keeping-it- … ro-programming/

Reply 12 of 13, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I will check the directory listing speed - I just use a lotech cf adapter with a 256MB cf for testing/benchmarks so it's always kinda slow... maybe CheckIt uses BIOS functions for the VGA speed test?

Reply 13 of 13, by Malvineous

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I will also add that back in the day, my Trident video card that came with my 286 also included a TVGABIO.SYS that you could stick in your CONFIG.SYS and it would shadow the video BIOS into RAM even if your hardware didn't support it. My guess is that it just copied the C800 segment to low memory and pointed int10 there instead.

I remember copying this driver over to my XT with an EGA card and running it there, and not only did it work, but it made a *huge* speed difference for most text-mode apps - they were at least twice as fast.

But as others have said, games and other apps using direct hardware access weren't affected.