VOGONS

First post, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have a K6-2 533 AFX (5.5x97, 2.2V) and K6-2 550 AGR (5.5x100, 2.3V). Is there anything special about these that would lead me to want to keep both? Rarity? Overclockability? Etc?

I've tested the 550 and know it runs good and is unlocked. I have not tested the 533 yet. Are all K6-2's unlocked?

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 1 of 12, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I think all the K6-2 nowdays are quiet "rare" so I would keep all the one I have.I don't know about the 533 version but back then I remember the 550 version was not that "common" in the shops. Probably already difficult to run at the stock freq/voltage.

Reply 5 of 12, by Gamecollector

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
peklop wrote:

97MHz is a strange bus speed 😀

Another marketing burp, IMHO. 533.(3) / 5.5 = 96.(96). Most owners use them as 95 x 5.5 = 522.5 MHz because motherboards with the 95 MHz bus are less rare. Or 100 x 5, 100 x 5.5.

Asus P4P800 SE/Pentium4 3.2E/2 Gb DDR400B,
Radeon HD3850 Agp (Sapphire), Catalyst 14.4 (XpProSp3).
Voodoo2 12 MB SLI, Win2k drivers 1.02.00 (XpProSp3).

Reply 6 of 12, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
kixs wrote:

Keep both... Unless you don't have space 🤣

This 🤣

The 550 is the fastest K6-2 ever made, so that kinda makes this chip special.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 7 of 12, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Thanks fellas. I got to test both, and they both run 550 no problem. The 550 will post @ 600Mhz with 2.4v, but the 533 will not. But @ 600 it's not stable. I didn't feel like trying 2.5v. 😵

I'll hang onto them. 😀

Reply 8 of 12, by Rhuwyn

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I would definitely keep both particularly if you going to use one in a machine you will use often you might need a spare. Also, 2 CPUs of one type is not really so much. Interested to see what you plan on doing with them.

Reply 10 of 12, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Ampera wrote:

Unless you need the money or space, there is 0 reason to get rid of working retro tech.

I was thinking it would make good trade bait. I'm less interested in the Win9x era and more interested in DOS era.

Reply 11 of 12, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
clueless1 wrote:
Ampera wrote:

Unless you need the money or space, there is 0 reason to get rid of working retro tech.

I was thinking it would make good trade bait. I'm less interested in the Win9x era and more interested in DOS era.

These are still nice to have, mostly because of their potential to run at virtually any CPU multiplier you set while being very compatible also due to their voltage having wider motherboard support then the K6 mobiles, along with having lower power consumption compared to the standard K6-3.

Of course their performance isn't as good as K6-3 or any of the mobiles, but personally I think these have their own niche 😀

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 12 of 12, by Carlos S. M.

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well. As some said, you can keep both, CPUs are not hard to store although i have a massive amount of CPUs here (+250?), also AMD K6 CPUs are good forl DOS gaming from many eras, since they are multi unlocked, you can oc/uc as well as disabling caches for very old games

What is your biggest Pentium 4 Collection?
Socket 423/478 Motherboards with Universal AGP Slot
Socket 478 Motherboards with PCI-E Slots
LGA 775 Motherboards with AGP Slots
Experiences and thoughts with Socket 423 systems