VOGONS

First post, by Smack2k

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Dont know much about this Tualatin processor....slot 370....

Worth keeping around to eventually use or issues with it?

Reply 1 of 6, by Rhuwyn

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Tualatin's are great CPUs. All of them. The problem is that 90% of Tualatins were only in servers so very few desktop motherboards that supported Tualatins were made. You can get them a Dime a dozen because when those many many servers running those CPUs were decommissioned the CPUs flooded the market but with more CPUs then there would ever be boards that were compatible with them. They are a perfect for CPU for a late DOS to WIndows9x/ME or even 2000/Early XP \ retro gaming machine. The motherboards that are compatible are hard to find, and lots of them don't have AGP slots making it even harder to make use the most coveted video cards. A lot of the boards that do support Tualatins also have poor documentation about the subject since at the time there wasn't a huge market for it. Too the point where people went to great lenghts to find ways to use older socket370 or slot1 boards with an slocket adapter. Which is an option but the adapters are expensive.

What is boils down to is the CPUs are cheap and plentiful so while the 1.26Ghz Model is a GREAT model there are so many 1.4ghz models (the fastest) that there really isnt a good reason for every single working tualatin board to have the fastest Tualatin it can run. Just my 2 cents.

Reply 2 of 6, by Ampera

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Server gear is normally pretty awesome. If it had an AGP slot, my IBM EServer 235 would make an EPIC machine.

I mean it was worth around 6000-8000 USD in it's current configuration. possibly more, and it still holds up for light use today.

The issues you run into with server gear is compatibility. Even basic PCI cards refuse to work in my servers, while some just happen to. PCI 64 bit and PCI-X can often glitch, and gear can range from amazing cards for pennies, and really mundane stuff you need for tons of money. It's a strange market.

But if you get a good system running, buy at JUST the right time from the right place, get cards that work PERFECTLY for the right money, you will have yourself the best machine you can get from that time period.

I mean look at the Xeon E7s today...

Keep it, or sell it to a VOGONS user (no money sorry), it's good gear, but if it works and you have space and time, keep it and wait for a good project to come along. If you come along a Slot 370 board, it will be the start of a cool machine.

Reply 4 of 6, by Paadam

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Problem is that most people cannot or don't want to make use of Tualatin CPU's. It is relatively easy to modify Coppermine board to support Tualatin and it has been proven to work for like 15 years now. But there are still people who are afraid of I don't even know what 😁

I have made ~20-25 slocket conversion over the years (even the most vanilla ones that only support PPGA Celerons by default) and they work very well.

I love Tualatin on 440BX, it is killer fast syste, That said, I have several dual server boards with Serverworks chipsets and lately located Supermicro P3TDE6 dual Tualatin board which has AGP also (now with dual 1.4 GHz, Geforce 6800, Voodoo 2 SLI), just because I wanted the maxxed out Tualatin system.

Many 3Dfx and Pentium III-S stuff.
My amibay FS thread: www.amibay.com/showthread.php?88030-Man ... -370-dual)

Reply 5 of 6, by Smack2k

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My Processors are in (2) Compaq / HP DL380 G2 servers that I have.

Could I conceivably (havent done it before, so asking opinions) take the motherboard with the procs and 3 GB RAM and install in a PC? With the different power supplies, not sure if it could be done or not....or could be a project to try and make it work...always like a project.

EDIT - Nevermind, didnt look at board closely before posting...no slots to add cards.

Last edited by Smack2k on 2016-12-20, 17:32. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 6 of 6, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'd say keep them.

Perhaps you could also decide to sell 2, in case you happen to come across a dual-CPU motherboard in which case you already have 2 of them.

This particular CPU is perhaps not very expensive, but it's still pretty good and second only to the magical 1400 Tualatin 😀

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!