VOGONS

Possibel ram bug with the computer?

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by Nic-93

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hey evreyone, the computer i have recently got has apearently a little problem with extended ram memory it makes the loading screen freeze and hard drive activity stop when i run it in regulare condition but in safe mode the computer boot's up fine, it could only really hold on 2x ram sticks, what could be the cause on that? and if i take the ram stick out the computer run's fine again, its a zenith data system ( z-station lx 3 ) pentium desktop model with windows 95 as default, but can work with windows nt to and to make the situation clear, it does get passed on the bios screen wich is weird.

Reply 1 of 59, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Nic-93 wrote:

Hey everyone. The computer I recently got has apparently a little problem with extended ram memory. It makes the loading screen freeze and hard drive activity stop when I run it in regular condition but in safe mode the computer boots up fine. It could only really hold on 2x ram sticks, what could be the cause of that? If i take the ram stick out the computer runs fine again. It's a Zenith data system ( z-station lx 3 ) Pentium desktop model with Windows 95 as default, but can work with Windows NT too. To make the situation clear, it does get past the BIOS screen which is weird.

Have you tested the RAM sticks individually? If one of them works alone but not the other, then one of the RAM sticks is bad.

If the computer only doesn't work when both of them are installed, then they are probably mismatched somehow – probably in terms of either speed or parity. Or there could just be something wrong with that particular RAM socket on the motherboard. There's not really much you can do about it.

Reply 2 of 59, by Nic-93

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Its been sitting in the basement of a ex workshop and only 1 ram stick has been in it since the year the machine where bought, but im pretty sure you might be correct on not the right type of ram sticks are the cause, majority of mine are useally 512 stick's.

Reply 3 of 59, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Nic-93 wrote:

It's been sitting in the basement of a ex workshop and only 1 ram stick has been in it since the year the machine was bought, but I'm pretty sure you might be correct on not the right type of ram sticks being the cause. The majority of mine are usually 512 sticks.

So you're using 512 MB SDRAM modules? Those will only work with certain early Pentium 4 motherboards. The best way to make sure would be to check the motherboard manual.

Reply 11 of 59, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:

Even 128MB might be too large, depending on how new the chipset is.

When I tried a single sided 128 MB stick in a Pentium II, I had to update the BIOS to even get the stick recognised. Although the system is stable with it, the memory isn't counted during POST despite the option being enabled in the BIOS. So 128 Mb is not so likely to work, unless it's an older module. Then it may work.

Reply 14 of 59, by Nic-93

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Actually, when i swapped the drive since it was a quantum fireball, and that particulare version of windows, i could well go pass the 2 megabyte ram memory problem, and after all, since its windows 95 its getting wavetable sound, and 3dfx, and such stuff needs alot of good memory, could it be possibel that this version of windows 95 was memory locked? to only accept 512 and to bypass that id need to change drive.

Reply 16 of 59, by deleted_Rc

User metadata
Nic-93 wrote:

Actually, when i swapped the drive since it was a quantum fireball, and that particulare version of windows, i could well go pass the 2 megabyte ram memory problem, and after all, since its windows 95 its getting wavetable sound, and 3dfx, and such stuff needs alot of good memory, could it be possibel that this version of windows 95 was memory locked? to only accept 512 and to bypass that id need to change drive.

Windows 95 has a maximum memmory support of 512 MB like windows 98 (/SE) however RAM is limited not only by that but also possibly the Mobo and the chipset. The mobo might not support the ram properly making the whole system unstable, as mentioned before check your mobo manual for more information, then the chipset also possibly limits your ram where only the 430 HX supported 512 Mb ram and was able to utilize this aswell (TX and VX both only utilize up to 64 Mb and have a max of 128 and 256 Mb). Do remember that most late 486 didn't have more then 16 Mb (this was already alot) and most pentiums had 32 upto 64 Mb but that was rare already. going higher was just not supported at that time.

Reply 18 of 59, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Nic-93 wrote:

This is confuseing... i think its directx causeing windows 95 to hang up.

Several people have told you otherwise now. Why don't you put in less RAM and see if that solves the problem?

Nic-93 wrote:

I could well go pass the 2 megabyte ram memory problem

I have no idea what you are referring to.

and after all, since its windows 95 its getting wavetable sound, and 3dfx, and such stuff needs alot of good memory

No, pretty much nothing for Win9x ever required that much RAM. (Nothing that didn't run much better in XP, anyway.)

Last edited by Jorpho on 2016-12-27, 04:58. Edited 1 time in total.