VOGONS

Possibel ram bug with the computer?

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

Reply 20 of 59, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I don't think you'll encounter that ever. My pmmx 233 had 64MB of ram and I've never seen a game asking me to add more ram. If it asks for more, then it's probably a game that won't be playable anyways on that little pentium. My father bought our first pc in 2001 and it only had 64 MB of ram. It was a little short for those days, but still usable. But a pentium is at best 4 years older (then, they were more or less outdated).

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 21 of 59, by deleted_Rc

User metadata
Nic-93 wrote:

Alright, alright, alright, sheesh, ill give it less memory, but it wont be my fault when i experince a game someday that requires more memory.

what games pre pentium II required that amount of ram? 😳
most early to late pentium II games only require 32-64 Mb to operate properly (there are only 2 games I run that advices more then 64 Mb which is is Stronghold Crusader for a stunning 128 while running multi player and C&C Firestorm while doing heavy duty editing/rendering in the editors)
Currently have 64 MB in my P1 aswell

Reply 25 of 59, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Nic-93 wrote:

So a total of full 1 gig should be plenty?

NO! Did you miss the post on the previous page!?

Richo wrote:

Windows 95 has a maximum memmory support of 512 MB like windows 98 (/SE)

512 MB is already too much for the motherboard; 1 GB is WAY too much.

Nic-93 wrote:

What about sim-city 2000 for example? 😜

I don't know why you're picking that out in particular, but SimCity 2000 has an internal limit of 150 "microsimulators". No matter how much you build, its memory usage will not increase past a certain point.
http://www.oocities.org/timessquare/3806/simcity2/cheat.htm

Reply 26 of 59, by Nic-93

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well, i cant do anything about it, i really only got 512 ram stick's, and im following the spec's from the help of computer chronicels tv show, there they clearly dont only talk about 512 of memory when its about running windows 95 there its a minium requirement to atleast run that OS decent.

Reply 29 of 59, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Nic-93 wrote:

im following the spec's from the help of computer chronicels tv show, there they clearly dont only talk about 512 of memory when its about running windows 95

Around the time Windows 95 came out (and Computer Chronicles was talking about it), 512 MB was a literally unthinkable amount of memory for a computer to have because motherboards could not use that much memory. Of course they wouldn't talk about it.

there its a minium requirement to atleast run that OS decent.

No, no one ever said that 512 MB was a "minimum requirement" for Windows 95. If you heard someone say that, then you heard incorrectly.

Reply 31 of 59, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Nic-93 wrote:

NO! Did you miss the post on the previous page!?

No i didnt! if it has 1 meg of memory i can easy give sc-2000 some 64 megabytes.

And considering SimCity 2000 will never ever use that much memory, even when running from within Windows 98, giving it that much is completely useless. 🙄

Reply 32 of 59, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Nic-93 wrote:

Anyways, the computer aint doing any bleep codes and noting compaining so its not doing anything funny.

From your first post:

Nic-93 wrote:

Hey evreyone, the computer i have recently got has apearently a little problem with extended ram memory it makes the loading screen freeze and hard drive activity stop when i run it in regulare condition but in safe mode the computer boot's up fine, it could only really hold on 2x ram sticks, what could be the cause on that? and if i take the ram stick out the computer run's fine again, its a zenith data system ( z-station lx 3 ) pentium desktop model with windows 95 as default, but can work with windows nt to and to make the situation clear, it does get passed on the bios screen wich is weird.

That it doesn't make any beep code noises and doesn't complain about anything doesn't mean it can't be freaking unstable when using RAM modules it wasn't designed to use. Furthermore, why complain about a problem when you (obviously) don't want to do anything about it? 😒

Reply 34 of 59, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

My version didn't require any tricks to install the game with it's installation files also found on the hdd. It may not do that for you, but there is at least one version of the game that do not complain. Mine came on a CD with the DOS, windows 3.1 and windows 95 installation files. All 3 of them support that

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 35 of 59, by fitzpatr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Nic-93 wrote:

All i wanted where a clue on why and didnt think it would blow this big up!
and it is ram modules that are working fine, so take it easy, and how would i trick sim city 2000 to install from a hard drive?

The reason this has blown up is because after asking for advice, you have been given clear answers, multiple times.

512MB SDRAM is not able to be used by most motherboards, but only some particular pentium 4 motherboards. It is also unnecessary.

Richo wrote:

The max supported on this particular system is 256 mb ram

Period correct information:
Our 486 had 4MB of RAM, and we upgraded to 8MB when we got Windows 95...for $400.
Our Cyrix 120MHz had 64MB RAM and we used it until 2001.
Our Pentium 3 had 256MB and then 512MB.

No game, anywhere, ever, will run correctly on your machine if it requires more than 128MB of RAM because it would be far too much for the processor to handle, regardless of memory.

Either you're a troll, or you're not capable of learning from others.

Good luck.

MT-32 Old, CM-32L, CM-500, SC-55mkII, SC-88Pro, SC-D70, FB-01, MU2000EX
K6-III+/450/GA-5AX/G400 Max/Voodoo2 SLI/CT1750/MPU-401AT/Audigy 2ZS
486 Build

Reply 36 of 59, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Deksor wrote:

My version didn't require any tricks to install the game with it's installation files also found on the hdd. It may not do that for you, but there is at least one version of the game that do not complain. Mine came on a CD with the DOS, windows 3.1 and windows 95 installation files. All 3 of them support that

Both the later MS-DOS version that came on a CD with all of the add-ons and the original that came without the add-ons (which is the same SC2000 version as the one on the later CD) will install from Windows 95/98 fine, provided the system has enough free conventional memory to run both the installer and the game itself, and no memory issues that cause the DOS extender to crash (important bits bolded for Nic-93).

@Nic-93:
Buy a correct memory module on Ebay or elsewhere, replace the incompatible 512 Mb module, and report back whether that solves your issues.

Reply 37 of 59, by Nic-93

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

im not useing anykind of sdram for the time being on this machine now since i thougt sdram would be fine on it, im useing non sdram memory module's on it like the older mid 90's kingston memory modules that would be found on a win95 machine, what year exactly? i have found multipile releases of sim city 2000, if a administrator could clean up my thread on answer's that didnt really need to be here and make it more neat looking would be apriciated!

Reply 38 of 59, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

pretty normal and very usable configs:

486 8-16mb
pentium 1 16-64mb
super socket 7 64-128mb
pentium 2 64-128mb
pentium 3 64-256mb
pentium 4 256- 512mb

The last numbers are pretty much how i run all my systems and NEVER had a problem with ANY game. 512mb i only use for late pentium 3 (tualatin) and early pentium4/athlonxp.

Using more than 64mb in a pentium1 you 9/10 times cripple it's performance.

asus tx97-e, 233mmx, voodoo1, s3 virge ,sb16
asus p5a, k6-3+ @ 550mhz, voodoo2 12mb sli, gf2 gts, awe32
asus p3b-f, p3-700, voodoo3 3500TV agp, awe64
asus tusl2-c, p3-S 1,4ghz, voodoo5 5500, live!
asus a7n8x DL, barton cpu, 6800ultra, Voodoo3 pci, audigy1

Reply 39 of 59, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Nic-93 wrote:

im not useing anykind of sdram for the time being on this machine now since i thougt sdram would be fine on it, im useing non sdram memory module's on it like the older mid 90's kingston memory modules that would be found on a win95 machine, what year exactly? i have found multipile releases of sim city 2000, if a administrator could clean up my thread on answer's that didnt really need to be here and make it more neat looking would be apriciated!

It would really help if you read answers properly (that's not something a moderator can help you with). It has been repeatedly stated by various people that 512 Mb SDRAM DIMMs won't work properly in your system. Other modules of the same type with less capacity (128 Mb, 64 Mb, 32 Mb) will work fine.

As for SimCity 2000, there is no version that requires the amount of RAM you seem to think it requires. I have owned the game from new since halfway the 1990s, and it ran fine on a 486DX with 16 Mb of RAM.
On the other hand, its follow-up SimCity 3000 does require more RAM (32 Mb or more) and a Pentium MMX, but it really needs at least a fast Pentium II processor to run somewhat decently. Maybe you are confusing SimCity 2000 with SimCity 3000?