VOGONS

Possibel ram bug with the computer?

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

Reply 41 of 59, by deleted_Rc

User metadata
Nic-93 wrote:

So a total of full 1 gig should be plenty?

Nic-93 wrote:

Well, i cant do anything about it, i really only got 512 ram stick's, and im following the spec's from the help of computer chronicels tv show, there they clearly dont only talk about 512 of memory when its about running windows 95 there its a minium requirement to atleast run that OS decent.

Nic-93 wrote:

NO! Did you miss the post on the previous page!?

No i didnt! if it has 1 meg of memory i can easy give sc-2000 some 64 megabytes.

Nic-93 wrote:

Anyways, the computer aint doing any bleep codes and noting compaining so its not doing anything funny.

I am getting confused by above posts.

fitzpatr wrote:
Period correct information: Our 486 had 4MB of RAM, and we upgraded to 8MB when we got Windows 95...for $400. Our Cyrix 120MHz […]
Show full quote

Period correct information:
Our 486 had 4MB of RAM, and we upgraded to 8MB when we got Windows 95...for $400.
Our Cyrix 120MHz had 64MB RAM and we used it until 2001.
Our Pentium 3 had 256MB and then 512MB.

No game, anywhere, ever, will run correctly on your machine if it requires more than 128MB of RAM because it would be far too much for the processor to handle, regardless of memory.

Either you're a troll, or you're not capable of learning from others.

Good luck.

well I have to correct my previous statement about the max capacity of the machine as it was only 128 Mb not 256 Mb. (try upgrading your ram by doubling it from for example 16 to 32 or 32 to 64)

Nic-93 wrote:

Eh, well, i have downgraded the system to its original configuration wich was a single 512 memory ram, maybe it is 3000 i am thinking off, since im looking for a few 3dfx titles.
and i said i found some non sdram stick's to use on it.

the original configuration of the Zenith Data Systems Z-Station LX3 is 66MHz, SDRAM PC66, 168p DIMM, 3.3v. in the manual it says (GOOGLE IT) that it was equiped with either 8 or 16 Mb of ram and was expandable upto 128 Mb, this information comes straight from multiple Memory upgrade websites AND the manual of the machine.
Link to manual Zenith LX3
fact remains that Windows 9.X had max capacity of 512 Mb ram (they can only recognize this much hardware) most Chipsets had trouble handling this much ram in those days.

meljor wrote:
pretty normal and very usable configs: […]
Show full quote

pretty normal and very usable configs:

486 8-16mb
pentium 1 16-64mb
super socket 7 64-128mb
pentium 2 64-128mb
pentium 3 64-256mb
pentium 4 256- 512mb

The last numbers are pretty much how i run all my systems and NEVER had a problem with ANY game. 512mb i only use for late pentium 3 (tualatin) and early pentium4/athlonxp.

Using more than 64mb in a pentium1 you 9/10 times cripple it's performance.

my budget Athlon back in the day already had more ram resting inside it(1 Gb when I first build it and it ended up with 2 Gb), your estimate upto pentium 2 are correcter after that the scaling tends to be abit off.
A pentium 2 should have around 128-256 with a max of 512
A pentium 3 should have around 256-512 with a max varying between 768-1024 Mb (early or late PIII)
A pentium 4 is limited only by windows XP

Last edited by deleted_Rc on 2016-12-28, 17:17. Edited 3 times in total.

Reply 42 of 59, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Nic-93 wrote:

Eh, well, i have downgraded the system to its original configuration wich was a single 512 memory ram

I can't even tell if you're reading your own posts anymore. That is not a functional configuration. You cannot expect this configuration to function without problems. If you are using "non sdram", then you are no longer using 512 MB of RAM.

Nic-93 wrote:

im not useing anykind of sdram for the time being on this machine now since i thougt sdram would be fine on it, im useing non sdram memory module's on it like the older mid 90's kingston memory modules that would be found on a win95 machine, what year exactly? i have found multipile releases of sim city 2000

What, exactly, is your question? Are you having trouble running SimCity 2000?

Reply 45 of 59, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I wish I had more 512MB SDRAM modules, but most are those buffered or registered ones. Maybe yours are as well Nic-93?

But anyway, if you want to use those 512MB SDRAM modules you're gonna have to find another (more recent) board for them.

For a P1 MMX 64MB RAM (either DIMM or SIMM) is a nice sweet spot.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 46 of 59, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Richo wrote:
I am getting confused by above posts. […]
Show full quote
Nic-93 wrote:

So a total of full 1 gig should be plenty?

Nic-93 wrote:

Well, i cant do anything about it, i really only got 512 ram stick's, and im following the spec's from the help of computer chronicels tv show, there they clearly dont only talk about 512 of memory when its about running windows 95 there its a minium requirement to atleast run that OS decent.

Nic-93 wrote:

NO! Did you miss the post on the previous page!?

No i didnt! if it has 1 meg of memory i can easy give sc-2000 some 64 megabytes.

Nic-93 wrote:

Anyways, the computer aint doing any bleep codes and noting compaining so its not doing anything funny.

I am getting confused by above posts.

fitzpatr wrote:
Period correct information: Our 486 had 4MB of RAM, and we upgraded to 8MB when we got Windows 95...for $400. Our Cyrix 120MHz […]
Show full quote

Period correct information:
Our 486 had 4MB of RAM, and we upgraded to 8MB when we got Windows 95...for $400.
Our Cyrix 120MHz had 64MB RAM and we used it until 2001.
Our Pentium 3 had 256MB and then 512MB.

No game, anywhere, ever, will run correctly on your machine if it requires more than 128MB of RAM because it would be far too much for the processor to handle, regardless of memory.

Either you're a troll, or you're not capable of learning from others.

Good luck.

well I have to correct my previous statement about the max capacity of the machine as it was only 128 Mb not 256 Mb. (try upgrading your ram by doubling it from for example 16 to 32 or 32 to 64)

Nic-93 wrote:

Eh, well, i have downgraded the system to its original configuration wich was a single 512 memory ram, maybe it is 3000 i am thinking off, since im looking for a few 3dfx titles.
and i said i found some non sdram stick's to use on it.

the original configuration of the Zenith Data Systems Z-Station LX3 is 66MHz, SDRAM PC66, 168p DIMM, 3.3v. in the manual it says (GOOGLE IT) that it was equiped with either 8 or 16 Mb of ram and was expandable upto 128 Mb, this information comes straight from multiple Memory upgrade websites AND the manual of the machine.
Link to manual Zenith LX3
fact remains that Windows 9.X had max capacity of 512 Mb ram (they can only recognize this much hardware) most Chipsets had trouble handling this much ram in those days.

meljor wrote:
pretty normal and very usable configs: […]
Show full quote

pretty normal and very usable configs:

486 8-16mb
pentium 1 16-64mb
super socket 7 64-128mb
pentium 2 64-128mb
pentium 3 64-256mb
pentium 4 256- 512mb

The last numbers are pretty much how i run all my systems and NEVER had a problem with ANY game. 512mb i only use for late pentium 3 (tualatin) and early pentium4/athlonxp.

Using more than 64mb in a pentium1 you 9/10 times cripple it's performance.

my budget Athlon back in the day already had more ram resting inside it(1 Gb when I first build it and it ended up with 2 Gb), your estimate upto pentium 2 are correcter after that the scaling tends to be abit off.
A pentium 2 should have around 128-256 with a max of 512
A pentium 3 should have around 256-512 with a max varying between 768-1024 Mb (early or late PIII)
A pentium 4 is limited only by windows XP

Nope. Maybe you had more but there is nothing wrong with my amounts.
Look at reviews for example: Anandtech, Tomshardware and the Tech Report ALL reviewed the athlon xp 2000+/pentium 4 2000mhz with 256mb ram.....that was highend back then as it was the fastest cpu. The last pentium II (450mhz) was reviewed with 128mb, earlier ones with 64mb.

You have to go all the way up to a 3ghz p4 to find 512mb in the test computer. And that was more than enough. These guys always had (and still have) everything ''the best'' and were certainly never low on ram.

The ONLY time i was ever low on ram was back when i had my first 486. It had 8mb and 16mb worked much better for the games i played.
The first pc with 64mb for me was a celeron 466. 128mb i had on a Duron 900mhz. 512mb i had for the first time with an Athlon xp 3200+

All my life i've played the latest games, and never was i low on ram and had the recommended specs. Sure, it's cheap now and a bit extra never hurts. But no need to over do it, there is no benefit.

Btw, the fastest p3 is the Tualatin and the only OFFICIAL (consumer) chipset to support it is the 815e which can't support even more than 512mb. It really doesn't NEED 1gb.
Reviews of the athlon64 X2 where done with 1gb, Core2duo (conroe) was reviewd with 2GB.

Never heard ANY complains about big review testers using not enough memory with their highend setups 🤣

Last edited by meljor on 2016-12-28, 18:29. Edited 1 time in total.

asus tx97-e, 233mmx, voodoo1, s3 virge ,sb16
asus p5a, k6-3+ @ 550mhz, voodoo2 12mb sli, gf2 gts, awe32
asus p3b-f, p3-700, voodoo3 3500TV agp, awe64
asus tusl2-c, p3-S 1,4ghz, voodoo5 5500, live!
asus a7n8x DL, barton cpu, 6800ultra, Voodoo3 pci, audigy1

Reply 47 of 59, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jade Falcon wrote:

I think there may be a possible spelling error in the tilde of this thread...

Anyway I'm to confused with this thread, did OP try 64/32mb sticks?

As far as we can figure out, the OP wants a magical solution in which his 512 Mb stick is suddenly going to work properly in a Pentium MMX system that can't handle that much, even though a 64 or 32 Mb stick would likely fix all of his issues. I give up, he's either trolling or really isn't able to understand his current RAM stick can't work properly. 😒

Reply 48 of 59, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
yawetaG wrote:
Jade Falcon wrote:

I think there may be a possible spelling error in the tilde of this thread...

Anyway I'm to confused with this thread, did OP try 64/32mb sticks?

As far as we can figure out, the OP wants a magical solution in which his 512 Mb stick is suddenly going to work properly in a Pentium MMX system that can't handle that much, even though a 64 or 32 Mb stick would likely fix all of his issues. I give up, he's either trolling or really isn't able to understand his current RAM stick can't work properly. 😒

Every once in a while people come along that shouldn't be messing with these old computers. But they do......and they have questions.... 🤣

Reply 49 of 59, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Doesn't VIA 694T support 512MB sized SDRAM modules?

And Nic-93 really needs to start learning how to read manuals for a start. Even though some part may physically fit, it doesn't mean it will always work.

Report spammers here!

Reply 51 of 59, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Nic-93 wrote:

Sheesh, shouldnt had started this thread..

Why not? You now know what to do 😀

Report spammers here!

Reply 53 of 59, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Nic-93 wrote:

Well, i gues so.. but i think its a pentium 1 since all it is reading on the sticker are pentium mmx

This thread is worthless without pics 😁
Let's see what you got here!

Report spammers here!

Reply 54 of 59, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Tetrium wrote:
Nic-93 wrote:

Well, i gues so.. but i think its a pentium 1 since all it is reading on the sticker are pentium mmx

Such optimistic people in the Netherlands 😁 😁 😁

Reply 55 of 59, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
meljor wrote:
Tetrium wrote:
Nic-93 wrote:

Such optimistic people in the Netherlands 😁 😁 😁

You have to be when living in The Netherlands, considering the earth itself is about to overheat 🤣

Report spammers here!

Reply 56 of 59, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Nah, it's STILL too cold here if you ask me 🤣

Reply 57 of 59, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
meljor wrote:

Nah, it's STILL too cold here if you ask me 🤣

^Agreed 🤣

But lets get back on topic, shall we? 😀

Report spammers here!