Topic actions

First post, by emosun

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So after watching this video

www.youtube.com/watch?v=xAgJ5aM3etc&t=163s

i tried a k6-2 266 on my packard bell m415 which yielded a no post. I then tried a k6-2 450 which did work , however it posted as an unidetified cpu at 66mhz. Within windows it shows as a k6-2 with no speed identified. The cpu however seems to perform identical to the 233mhz mmx. I'm wondering if boards have to have bios updates to supports these cpu's fully or not. I'm assuming that since the bios can't identify it it probably can't actually fully support it. the system uses the stock motherboard but with a riser from an L190.

Reply 1 of 25, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Did you set the jumpers correctly? "cpu however seems to perform identical to the 233mhz mmx" would indicate it's set up at 66x3.5. You should be able to run it at 2x66, yielding 400MHz (K6 CPUs interpret 2x as 6x internally).

Reply 2 of 25, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
kanecvr wrote:

Did you set the jumpers correctly? "cpu however seems to perform identical to the 233mhz mmx" would indicate it's set up at 66x3.5. You should be able to run it at 2x66, yielding 400MHz (K6 CPUs interpret 2x as 6x internally).

But isn't it odd that the K6-2/266 didn't post at all?
That CPU and the K6-2/450 should have similar CPU voltages. Perhaps it's something to do with the 450 being Chompers and the other possibly not being a Chompers?

And kanecvr is right about the K6-2/450 going 6x multi when set to 2x, this 'trick' was kinda popular to help speed up non-super s7 boards that could run 2.2v voltages 😀

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 4 of 25, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

No, it should be even lower (but it can work at 2.8, you just need a good cooler)

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 5 of 25, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
emosun wrote:

ok i set the multiplier at 2x. theres also a vcc jumper which can be set to 2.8v 3.3v and 3.5v. it's set to 2.8v should it be higher?

I don't recommend long-term operation at 2.8 on a k6. It needs 2.2v (or 2.4 in case of some chips).

Reply 6 of 25, by emosun

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There isn't a 2.2v option. i did notice the cpu says 3.3v on it. from what i can feel the cpu heatsink isnt even hot , it's got a socket 370 cooler.

Is there decent cpu benchmarking program like cinebench but for windows 98. may help to see just some baseline numbers to see what each change does.

Reply 7 of 25, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
kanecvr wrote:
emosun wrote:

ok i set the multiplier at 2x. theres also a vcc jumper which can be set to 2.8v 3.3v and 3.5v. it's set to 2.8v should it be higher?

I don't recommend long-term operation at 2.8 on a k6. It needs 2.2v (or 2.4 in case of some chips).

My IBM aptiva originally came with a pmmx 233, but when I got it, it had a K6-2 500 with the mmx specs, so 2.8v and 233MHz so pretty munch an useless upgrade. It was probably fine for all these years, but like you, I won't recommend it either for longt term use

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 8 of 25, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
emosun wrote:

There isn't a 2.2v option. i did notice the cpu says 3.3v on it. from what i can feel the cpu heatsink isnt even hot , it's got a socket 370 cooler.

Is there decent cpu benchmarking program like cinebench but for windows 98. may help to see just some baseline numbers to see what each change does.

!!!! 3.3 is for I/O!!!! not for vcore!! the K6-II is a dual voltage chip, just like the pentium MMX, but unlike the pentium MMX it needs 2.2v, 2.4 tops. No higher. If your board can't do 2.2v get an interposer or give up on the idea of using a K6 in it.

Reply 9 of 25, by emosun

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

ok I ran a few bench tests of the p1 233 and the k6-2 450 and it seems to be working very well. When set to the 2x multiplier it does go much faster than with the 3x multiplier. I found an old version off passmark which is very thorough. But i did notice the machine can handle most bitrate in video playback with it as well.

15727113_1828018744112714_220282010930849224_n.jpg?oh=e693d93ef4591360e8039f706564249c&oe=5922AC13

Deksor wrote:

My IBM aptiva originally came with a pmmx 233, but when I got it, it had a K6-2 500 with the mmx specs, so 2.8v and 233MHz so pretty munch an useless upgrade. It was probably fine for all these years, but like you, I won't recommend it either for longt term use

Yeah I think the cpu most likely can handle the 2.8v increase. It's really not even running hot , or even slightly warm for that matter. Most likely it's not really being pushed very hard.

Reply 10 of 25, by melbar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have the K6-2 500MHz, actually running at lowest clock 166MHz. It's core voltage is 2.2V, and I/O voltage 3.3V (like kanecvr said, dual voltage).
I' ve still set the voltage to default (auto) voltage.

Personally, i would never set the voltage to high values, especially for descent old cpu's.

Even when you can keep it cool, you have to consider the "Electromigration" when running with high voltage beyond the specifications of AMD.

#1 K6-2/500, #2 Athlon1200, #3 Celeron1000A, #4 A64-3700, #5 P4HT-3200, #6 P4-2800, #7 Am486DX2-66

Reply 11 of 25, by dondiego

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

According to amd the absolute maximum voltage for the k6-2 is 2.5V and anything above that will for sure damage the cpu. It's a well known fact that after some time the cpu stops working at its default voltage and speed but it would take very long to kill the cpu.

LZDoom, ZDoom32, ZDoom LE
RUDE (Doom)
Romero's Heresy II (Heretic)

Reply 12 of 25, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
dondiego wrote:

According to amd the absolute maximum voltage for the k6-2 is 2.5V and anything above that will for sure damage the cpu. It's a well known fact that after some time the cpu stops working at its default voltage and speed but it would take very long to kill the cpu.

Still I think it's a waste frying such a chip simply because one fails to relocate a jumper or 2.

emosun, like some have already mentioned, s7 uses split CPU voltage (even Pentium MMX uses split voltage and newer s7/ss7 chips need even lower voltages).

What's the model number of your board?
Could you supply us with a pic of your board along with its jumper settings? Perhaps your board actually does support lower voltages as many boards have hidden or unofficial jumper settings.

Report spammers here!

Reply 13 of 25, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dondiego wrote:

^this

Reply 15 of 25, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
emosun wrote:

http://www.uktsupport.co.uk/pb/mb/810.htm

It does say dont stick a k6-2 in it in the cpu info. 🤣.

Kinda sucks since the cpu is so fast.

Well...looks like your VX board isn't K6-2 compatible.
Do you happen to have any other more recent s7 or ss7 boards laying around?

Report spammers here!

Reply 16 of 25, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I would risk it. The k6-2 is very common and not expensive. Just use a good p3 cooler and you're good to go.

The intels required 2.8v and ran fine on the older boards with only 3,3v support. they also just needed a bit better cooling to stay safe.

asus tx97-e, 233mmx, voodoo1, s3 virge ,sb16
asus p5a, k6-3+ @ 550mhz, voodoo2 12mb sli, gf2 gts, awe32
asus p3b-f, p3-700, voodoo3 3500TV agp, awe64
asus tusl2-c, p3-S 1,4ghz, voodoo5 5500, live!
asus a7n8x DL, barton cpu, 6800ultra, Voodoo3 pci, audigy1

Reply 17 of 25, by SPBHM

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have to agree, k6-2 is super common and cheap, I have like 4 or 5 and I don't have to many CPUs and nothing rare.
also 2.2 to 2.8v is what a 30% increase? certainly high but nothing absurd, I think if you give it a lot more cooling than it would get originally, and also if you cool the motherboard, the voltage area... I would think it will work ok.

Reply 18 of 25, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Wouldn't there be any kind of risk to any of the other components if a CPU fries? I'm not entirely sure the motherboard will like it.

But it's true that K6-2 is very common indeed, but in the end it's up to emosun. Though personally I wouldn't even bother to try.

Report spammers here!

Reply 19 of 25, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Tetrium wrote:

Wouldn't there be any kind of risk to any of the other components if a CPU fries? I'm not entirely sure the motherboard will like it.

But it's true that K6-2 is very common indeed, but in the end it's up to emosun. Though personally I wouldn't even bother to try.

I agree. There's a high chance of killing not only the CPU, but the board as well. Eh - in the end it's your hardware, do whatever you want with it.