VOGONS

First post, by Ampera

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just curious as I was talking about it in a previous post.

I've done many different multi boots, I've done 98 and NT5/Win2k, I've done several Linux dual boots.

Currently my strangest dual boot is Windows Server 2016 Datacenter and Windows 7.

Let me tell you my tale.

So I go to install Server 2016 to find it's too big for a DVD+RW (Yes I still use those) I do not currently own any USB sticks larger than a DVD, so I got to thinking what was larger than 5GB and PC bootable?

A hard disk!

So I put the Installation ISO on the hard disk (A feat that wasn't exactly straight forward. I still don't know how the hell that works) and ran it.

Everything was fine (After I rebooted twice because I forgot the license key) and I finished the install.

And no bootloader was configured.

No problem! I'll just mod the Windows 7 bootloader.

Didn't want to do that, the security certificate (I want to strangle whoever invented those) was not to Windows 7's liking, and I couldn't override no matter what I did.

So I boot up the install disk to see what I can do with the tools, when it gives me the option to boot into Windows Server 2016, FROM the install disk which was on a hard drive.

During this insanity I was messing around with GParted changing bootable partition flags. So I changed the bootable partition to Server 2016's partition, and then Windows 7 was bootable too (Although I haven't touched windows 7 in a long while). So let me wrap this around your head.

I turn on my computer, and boot up into the f off hard drive I threw in for the installer.

It uses the installer's bootloader to automatically detect and boot into my two operating systems.

All the meanwhile, each OS has different drive lettering too, but still uses a few of the same apps (Like Steam).

Yeaaa. I know this story isn't exactly retro, but the topic can be. I also tried to dualboot 98 and Win2K which was very strange in how I did that. I remember having to copy a whole load of files just using the copy command (AND NO XCOPY). That wasn't fun, but that was a while ago. Interested to hear what you've done.

Reply 1 of 13, by Errius

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Has anyone managed to get more than 2 installations of Windows NT 4.0 on a single system? A few years ago I got the idea of making a multiboot Server/Terminal Server/Workstation setup, but although the first two installed OK I could never get the third to work.

Is this too much voodoo?

Reply 2 of 13, by Ampera

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Errius wrote:

Has anyone managed to get more than 2 installations of Windows NT 4.0 on a single system? A few years ago I got the idea of making a multiboot Server/Terminal Server/Workstation setup, but although the first two installed OK I could never get the third to work.

I'd assume you have three drives, one bootable, and install the bootloader on the first one to boot the other three. Even if they absolutely refuse to install with each other, just swap the drives out. Once they are all installed, just set the bootloader up to boot to each installation.

Reply 4 of 13, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Ms-Dos 6.22, Linux, Os/2 Warp 3.0 and Win95.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 6 of 13, by Ampera

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Errius wrote:

A multiboot of every major MS-DOS release is also something I've thought of, but never tried.

oooo idea.

Get a whole whackton of floppy controllers and have every major MS-DOS release

on floppy

all at once

with like 10-12 floppy drives

idc, make it work.

Reply 7 of 13, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Ampera wrote:

all at once

Ampera:
You are not really thinking about running them at once? In that case you can not use multiboot.
For that you need to run some sort of Virtualization, eighter on a host operating system or use a server such as VM-Server.
I might have read and understood this wrong.

EDIT:
When I heard about multiboot around 1992/93, I thought that they were talking Virtualization.
People told me that this could never be done, and I was introduced to it that way.

Last edited by brostenen on 2017-01-03, 17:54. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 8 of 13, by Ampera

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
brostenen wrote:
Ampera: You are not really thinking about running them at once? In that case you can not use multiboot. For that you need to run […]
Show full quote
Ampera wrote:

all at once

Ampera:
You are not really thinking about running them at once? In that case you can not use multiboot.
For that you need to run some sort of Virtualization, eighter on a host operating system or use a server such as VM-Server.
I might have read and understood this wrong.

I mean have all of the major DOS versions installed onto floppies, that are installed on the computer. Make it a 0 HDD system.

Next up: Floppy diskette RAID 0

Reply 9 of 13, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I did it many years ago for my brother in law, he needed several versions of windows to test his own software (he has a little software company). So i offered him to build a testsystem, just one system for every MS operating system.

I made a system with 3.11, 95, 98, 98se, millenium, windows2000 and windows xp.

I used several harddisks, a lot of partitions and a bootloader. It was a pain but i managed it. The problem was something with the loader i used (don't remember which it was).
I believe there was a cap for 4/5 systems max in the menu, so i had to watch the sequence of installation so i could use the bootmenu from 2000 and XP as submenu's.

asus tx97-e, 233mmx, voodoo1, s3 virge ,sb16
asus p5a, k6-3+ @ 550mhz, voodoo2 12mb sli, gf2 gts, awe32
asus p3b-f, p3-700, voodoo3 3500TV agp, awe64
asus tusl2-c, p3-S 1,4ghz, voodoo5 5500, live!
asus a7n8x DL, barton cpu, 6800ultra, Voodoo3 pci, audigy1

Reply 10 of 13, by Ampera

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
meljor wrote:
I did it many years ago for my brother in law, he needed several versions of windows to test his own software (he has a little s […]
Show full quote

I did it many years ago for my brother in law, he needed several versions of windows to test his own software (he has a little software company). So i offered him to build a testsystem, just one system for every MS operating system.

I made a system with 3.11, 95, 98, 98se, millenium, windows2000 and windows xp.

I used several harddisks, a lot of partitions and a bootloader. It was a pain but i managed it. The problem was something with the loader i used (don't remember which it was).
I believe there was a cap for 4/5 systems max in the menu, so i had to watch the sequence of installation so i could use the bootmenu from 2000 and XP as submenu's.

this sounds painful.

now people have massive blade servers hypervising it all.

Reply 11 of 13, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Ampera wrote:

I mean have all of the major DOS versions installed onto floppies, that are installed on the computer. Make it a 0 HDD system.

Ahhh... Now it makes sence to me, what you wish to do.
Well... I think it will be really hard to cramp even MS-Dos 5.0 onto one Floppy.
You will be missing a lot of tools and programs, as there is not enough space.

Take MS-Dos 6.22 installation disks. As far as I remember, the file names are
more or less just renamed. So a complete 6.22 installation is more than 2 x 1.44 mb
And since a pc can only have A and B drives (2 drives) I think you need to
be really inventive in this case...

Is this understood correctly?

Reply 12 of 13, by Ampera

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
brostenen wrote:
Ahhh... Now it makes sence to me, what you wish to do. Well... I think it will be really hard to cramp even MS-Dos 5.0 onto one […]
Show full quote
Ampera wrote:

Ahhh... Now it makes sence to me, what you wish to do.
Well... I think it will be really hard to cramp even MS-Dos 5.0 onto one Floppy.
You will be missing a lot of tools and programs, as there is not enough space.

Take MS-Dos 6.22 installation disks. As far as I remember, the file names are
more or less just renamed. So a complete 6.22 installation is more than 2 x 1.44 mb
And since a pc can only have A and B drives (2 drives) I think you need to
be really inventive in this case...

Is this understood correctly?

Yea you got it.

There do exist 2.88MB floppies.

And if you have multiple controllers, they won't be directly bootable, but you can use a bootloader.

Reply 13 of 13, by Sammy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

One of my PCs has 98, Xp and Linux.
98 has a sub menu for Win98 or Dos 7.

Another Pc has Linux, XP and Win7.
Main Boot menu let you choose between Linux, Windows, PlopBootManager or Memtest.
Chooing Windows gives you the option to Boot Win7 or WinXP.
WinXP has a Submenu for 1,2 or all 4 Cores enabled or XP-Repair-console.

Third Pc has a Menue between Dos 6.22 with Win3.11 or Windows 95.